AS Thinking vs. NT Thinking: An Analogy for the Masses

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 11:36 am

I've been playing with this analogy for a few weeks and just recently posted it on a thread or two. I just wanted to put it down as one solid thought and see how everyone else feels about it. I'm just searching for a comprehensive and somewhat simple way to explain the differences in how my (self dx'ed) AS brain works differently from the NT brain. Since I don't exactly know how the NT brain works I can't exactly comment too heavily on it but I think I finally found the analogy that both Aspies and NT can grasp.

Quote:
NT Thinking vs. AS Thinking
Apple vs. PC

Apple starts up with its operating system - it is integral to the system. Processing power is reserved solely for hardwired and downloaded functions. NT's have an integral operating system, they come hard wired, with a nice preloaded software package and are ready to get to work right out of the box without an initial loss of processing power or a need to upload new software or configure their systems.

PC's need to devote processing power to opening up their operating system in order to access the basic functions of navigating the system. PC's can operate on DOS alone but it takes a knowledgeable user to understand 'computer speak' - generally, only other 'computer geeks' speak this language. The general public needs Windows to make use of the system at all. With every new program that is opened in Windows, processing power is engaged. Once you have too may functions open and CPU usage is too high, programs start freezing up. If you don't start closing all those programs, you crash the system.

In order to interact socially, those with AS need to start opening up social 'programs' in order to leave the DOS prompt behind and become more user friendly. Every person with AS come preload with a different social software package as well as differing motherboards, graphic and sound cards, memory, etc... New software can be uploaded with success dependant on platform compatibility. Once the social programs are open, brain energy/computing power is engaged to maintain functioning. If too many programs are open - aka: too many social skills or sensory inputs are engaged simultaneously - brain computing power is maxed out and programs start freezing up - aka: meltdowns occur. A diligent, experienced user will monitor their CPU usage and know when to exit programs in order to prevent freeze ups - aka: meltdowns. When the user does not recognize or mistakenly ignores the warning signs of energy depletion they can crash the entire system - aka: a full, involuntary system shutdown occurs. The brain shuts off in order to recharge energy stores that were depleted below critical level. They need to reboot the system.

Therapies and interventions are add on software programs. First and foremost, these programs need to be compatible with the platform. You cannot download Apple software into a PC. You cannot teach NT social skills in an NT manner to someone with AS - it is a different language. Some programmers have access to sophisticated translation software that can make translation possible but there are usually glitches - they get a mostly functioning program but there are bound to be translation errors in the programming. It will not be a not be a perfect copy of the program but it will be basically functional. Some with AS can learn these skills despite the 'language' barrier but it is not a perfect translation. Others with AS may have varying degrees of skill in translating NT language and some may have no skill in it at all. In a best case scenario, the social skills programming should come formatted for the system they are being download to - aka: NT skills need to be taught from the AS perspective in order to be understood and incorporated. You simply cannot turn a PC into an Apple without physically replacing the motherboards - aka: you cannot rewire the AS brain with social skills programming alone. It is an entirely different, unique system capable of most of the same functions - it just gets there is a different way.

Well, that's the initial gist of it. I know not everyone can wrap their heads around computer speak but my goal is to appeal this message to the professional community. In this day and age most professional have a baseline understanding of computers and I'm hoping this analogy appeals to that understanding. It's a work in progress, a rough first draft.

Well, what do you think? Comments, critiques and suggested improvements welcomed.

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2011, 12:00 pm

I like it!

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 12:02 pm

:thumleft:

As an NT I find it very explanatory. It assumes a basic level of computer literacy that anybody who regularly uses a computer will have. You might lose a few people with "motherboard".

My recommendation? Give it cartoon anthropomorphised illustrations. That will gather in everybody who is not 100% sure what a CPU or motherboard is. It also makes the most important points more visually memorable.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2011, 12:21 pm

I absolutely LOVE it!

And by the way...I'M a PC :D

Janissy wrote:

As an NT I find it very explanatory. It assumes a basic level of computer literacy that anybody who regularly uses a computer will have. You might lose a few people with "motherboard".

My recommendation? Give it cartoon anthropomorphised illustrations. That will gather in everybody who is not 100% sure what a CPU or motherboard is. It also makes the most important points more visually memorable.

Ya' HEAR THAT, greenturtle74?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 12:46 pm

What does Catholic Liturgy have to do with autistic thinking?

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 1:27 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:

:lol: ...WHAT?! What did I miss? Catholic Liturgy?!

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2011, 1:29 pm

So is a meltdown the equivalent of the Blue Screen of Death?

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 1:33 pm

Janissy wrote:

Okay - now I have visions of a children's style illustrated guidebook for autism professionals. And it really appeals to me on many levels! It may be time to dust off that art degree and get to work... Great idea! Thanks!

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 1:37 pm

bergie wrote:
So is a meltdown the equivalent of the Blue Screen of Death?

Blue Screen of Death = shutdown

Frozen windows that need ctl+atl+delete to exit would be more akin to meltdowns. Short lived system freezes that are trying to tell you something - I'm at my limit. Exit some programs before I pull a blue screen...

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 1:51 pm

draelynn wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

:lol: ...WHAT?! What did I miss? Catholic Liturgy?!

A Catholic Religious Service is called a Mass. You said for the masses.

Bad pun.

Sorry.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 1:55 pm

^^^ sometimes you just need to leave a few more breadcrumbs... ;)

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2011, 1:57 pm

I would rather think of apple to be the AS because they have the motto "Think differently" but your explanation was very good :D
I like it very much :)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 2:14 pm

If only upgrading my brain's RAM is as cheap and easy as upgrading my PC's. I get the "this program has stopped responding" error every time I open up a new window without closing the last one.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 9:31 pm

i know nothing about computers or computer terminology but i still got that. it was a very apt analogy.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 12:37 am

Replace windows with Linux. Most people know how to use Windows, which is why it dominates the market. Linux is much harder to use for people that "don't speak its language", so it makes more sense in the analogy.

andrew_w
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2011, 1:26 am

One problem with this analogy is that Windows hasn't run on top of DOS since Windows Me. All versions of Windows since then have been completely standalone (a cut-down version of DOS is included with 32-bit versions, but it only runs when you run a DOS application and even then it runs in a compatibility box on top of Windows, not the other way around).