Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:15 pm

This is how I hold a pencil (or pen, in this case). Lots of people have told me that this is an "odd" or "improper" way to hold it, though it's the only way that's comfortable to me and I didn't realize that my grip was unusual until it was pointed out to me. The reason why I tuck my thumb underneath my index finger is because it's longer than normal. In fact, my mom tells me that at birth, my thumb was as long as all of my other fingers.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2011, 4:45 pm

IdahoRose wrote:

This is how I hold a pencil (or pen, in this case). Lots of people have told me that this is an "odd" or "improper" way to hold it, though it's the only way that's comfortable to me and I didn't realize that my grip was unusual until it was pointed out to me. The reason why I tuck my thumb underneath my index finger is because it's longer than normal. In fact, my mom tells me that at birth, my thumb was as long as all of my other fingers.

Yes, i ve heard about this fact. this pengrip is common in lefties and people with long fingers. It's funny the fact i have short finger and i hold pencil in this way with right hand, instead i use tripod pengrip with left hand.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

Bleu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2011, 4:28 am

Wow, I hold my pens almost exactly like nikoa does 8O I've never met anyone who holds it like that.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 4:39 am

I find using a pencil incredibly uncomfortable. When we had handwriting lessons at primary school I was always told off and in trouble with the teacher.

They thought that my handwriting couldnt possibly be that bad unless I was being lazy, and they made me repeat things over and over again.

This went well into high school and I had a lot of panic at university because my writing was no better.

I had difficulty putting the right kind of pressure on a pen and it felt really uncomfortable. I just couldnt hold it like the other people seemed to with ease.

Nowadays when I write with a pen I squeeze the heck out of it with my fingers to keep my grip on it and my whole arm feels incredibly tense with the strain of getting the letters into a good shape.

Taking a break.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 4:53 am

I hold my writing utensils between my index and middle fingers. I am ambidextrous...use whichever hand is more convenient at the time. I'll take a picture later.

kt24
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

nikoa wrote:
No one hold pencil like me.. position is in right hand, pencil lies on ring finger and i hold it with my tree other fingers, free is only pinky finger. Because people have watched me always strange, i hold pencil properly when some one look on me, but when no one watch me, i take my position of pencil. Is this common for asperger syndrome?
(Sorry for my English, you can free check it and tell me for mistakes).

I do exactly the same, and am always told it's unusual. I had real trouble writing properly until I was about 14, but now, after years of practice, get told it's really neat- I learned a particular way, and now always write like this.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 6:32 pm

I'm always told I hold my hand like a lefty. When I first became a probate and family court clerk, I had to do a LOT of writing and I actually got sores on my thumb, index and middle fingers. I ran to the store on lunch, and bought the pen in the pictures. Much more comfortable. The grip is like a silicone rubber.

Last edited by kc8ufv on 05 Jun 2011, 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

nikoa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2011, 7:39 pm

kc8ufv wrote:
I ran to the store on lunch, and bought the pen in the pictures. Much more comfortable. The grip is like a silicone rubber.

My writing in my language have always been very clear and beautiful, evan better when i was kid, but i always to much press pen and my ring finger has little deformation.
That pen is good idea, i going to bay same.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 11:48 pm

I hold my pencil with four fingers, pinky free. I used to have a callous on my ring finger as evidence. I dunno where I picked it up from, but I didn't like holding my pencil with only three fingers.

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2011, 12:24 am

same as callipsa, hyperlexian, etcetera. weirdness. its so strange how many of these small peculiarities we share.

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2011, 12:27 am

kc8ufv wrote:
I'm always told I hold my hand like a lefty. When I first became a probate and family court clerk, I had to do a LOT of writing and I actually got sores on my thumb, index and middle fingers.

exactly what i've been told. never had sores but it hurts to write too long

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2011, 12:30 am

I hold it like kc8ufv.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 1:54 pm

nikoa wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:
I ran to the store on lunch, and bought the pen in the pictures. Much more comfortable. The grip is like a silicone rubber.

My writing in my language have always been very clear and beautiful, evan better when i was kid, but i always to much press pen and my ring finger has little deformation.
That pen is good idea, i going to bay same.

It's a uni-ball Signo Premier 207. I've refilled it a couple times by buying regular (and much cheaper) Uni-ball 207 and pull the cartridge out of it.

Oh, and if you look carefully at my fingers, you can see that even with the soft grip on the pen, my grip is so tight my fingers are turning white.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 2:27 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i think hold it like you, nikoa. and i hold it very tightly. this is my hand:

I hold my pencil pretty similar to the way Hyperlexian holds hers. I grip it really tightly to the point that I'll get muscle tightness in my shoulders and back. I've tried tools, like special pencil grippers (click) but I never stick with them. Using large pencils (like the ones made for kindergartners) helps me.

imbuedblue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2011, 2:58 pm

I hold pens and pencils similiar to hyperlexian, but with my index finger folded completely and my thumb tucked in between my index and middle fingers.