RAADS-R: Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adults

Page 3 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 7:02 pm

I'm not even going to bother taking that. I read the first 5 questions and to be honest I'm really not even sure what to put for them. Not to mention I don't want to have to count all that up. The test definitely needs some major improvements.

I'm sure I'd get at least a 150. I've always scored high on AS tests.

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jun 2011, 8:27 pm

Wooster wrote:
Do they actually say somewhere to just put zero for anything you CAN'T answer definitively/properly/honestly? Even if they don't I think that's probably the best and most accurate way to approach it if you're doing it yourself.

Actually, they say that there should be someone there administering the test who will clarify any questions that confuse the test-taker.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 8:58 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Made the test into a PDF with scoring table.
http://www.adrive.com/public/0d91e4a75c ... ef8dd.html

Thank you so much for that.
I had the notion, but not the technical prowess to do that myself.
Awesome :D

I too had trouble with answering some of the questions. Many seemed to have more than one plausible answer, or no entirely correct answer. The language was confusing on several of them. Sympathy to those who had trouble with this test.
Funny enough, an NT person I know who took the test (score 41) said they had no problems understanding the questions. and wondered why on earth I did....

As some have said, this test is not exactly meant to be an online self-assessment. It is apparently the final draft of one of the next generation diagnostic tools for clinicians to use in their work with patients on the Autism Spectrum. Ideally, you would take this test in the presence of a doctor who would be available to clarify and help answer questions.

All the same, these results are really interesting... keep it going :)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 Jun 2011, 3:43 am

Acacia wrote:
Funny enough, an NT person I know who took the test (score 41) said they had no problems understanding the questions. and wondered why on earth I did....
Interesting, and always useful to have some other 'calibration' thing going on with these tests.
Somewhat astonishing they had no problems with the questions though. From a different planet, evidently. :wink:

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 3:50 am

Kon wrote:
176 but I always find these tests difficult.

For instance, what does "I am a sympathetic person" mean?

1. Compared to who?
2. What situation?
3. How can one tell if others are sympathetic, maybe they're just acting?
4. When does the line for any situation switch from being not caring to being sympathetic (does one have to cry, offer help?)
etc.

I pondered over it for minutes... Ended up with "never", though I'm certain there is a handful of people who regard me a sympathetic person, aside from my immediate family.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2011, 4:30 am

Cornflake wrote:
Acacia wrote:
Interesting, and always useful to have some other 'calibration' thing going on with these tests.
Somewhat astonishing they had no problems with the questions though. From a different planet, evidently. :wink:

Wow! - yeah, I just assumed anyone / everyone would have problems with at least several of the questions - like that was a given and even understood to be the case by the designers of it - for me it's kind of creepy to hear that someone had no problem like that!

nikoa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2011, 4:57 am

Cornflake wrote:
Acacia wrote:

Very clear and simple questions and beside my English is not good, i understand them very well. But lot of tests online and no where help.

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2011, 9:29 am

I don't like the fact I cannot "graduate", e.g. if I've always had a trait I cannot say whether it is severe or mild, which I could do in the Aspie quiz, for instance.

I also don't think that the "Only now" vs "When I was younger" is correctly scored.
If I don't know how to act in social situations, how can it be it is more relevant if I have this issue JUST NOW, that if I had it only as a child? In the latter case, it might have learnt coping skills; if I have the issue just now but not when younger, it is not AS.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 10:03 am

While I agree that many of the questions are subject to interpretation and the choices may not always fit, the purpose of this test is to partition a population, not characterize an individual's particular experiences and traits. Basically, it only has to reliably determine that I am or am not autistic. If 95% of the time it correctly does this then it is a very good test. The degree of autism, the levels of impairment, and all the other issues surrounding autism are not relevant to this test.

So I am compelled to wonder if changing the column choices would in anyway effect the accuracy of the test. The same for rewording the questions.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 11:01 am

Acacia wrote:

I had a feeling I was over analysising the questions that stumped me - and I wondered if an NT would have that same problem. Apparently not! :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm

Tsukimi wrote:

I don't like the fact I cannot "graduate", e.g. if I've always had a trait I cannot say whether it is severe or mild, which I could do in the Aspie quiz, for instance.

I also don't think that the "Only now" vs "When I was younger" is correctly scored.
If I don't know how to act in social situations, how can it be it is more relevant if I have this issue JUST NOW, that if I had it only as a child? In the latter case, it might have learnt coping skills; if I have the issue just now but not when younger, it is not AS.

My guess is: People are more likely to accurately self-report what is true in the present than in the past - so it is more likely that, even if you say "only now" it may have been true as a child as well, whereas if it was only true as a child, you may have outgrown it (although most of my "only as a child" answers were due to conscious adaptation, so whatever).

Another possibility is that some of these were not problems as a child because you didn't have enough demands on you to make them apparent. They only became apparent later in life as you were under more and more pressure to perform as expected according to your age.

Nier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2011, 3:18 pm

I caught myself almost filling out my name on my own sheet of paper as that was the first thing asked for ... doh, that's taking literal compliance a little too far ! No wonder about the score huh? :lol:

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 3:37 pm

I nearly did the same thing, in fact, I was going to print it out so that I could fill in the form, then I realized I was being silly.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

Nier wrote:
I caught myself almost filling out my name on my own sheet of paper as that was the first thing asked for ... doh, that's taking literal compliance a little too far ! No wonder about the score huh? :lol:

I did actually fill out all the personal information. I realized that it was probably unncessary, but filled it out just in case.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2011, 5:10 pm

I scored 213.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 3:58 am

208, but I wasn't entirely sure about a couple of questions, so I might have scored higher or lower.