Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2011, 7:43 pm

when a fly or bee or mosquito buzzes near my ear, i get a strange, involuntary muscle spasm in the sides of my lower back. it's very annoying and ticklish, semi-paralysing, almost to the point of being painful. i have asked countless other people if they get this, they all say they don't. i have looked up info on this online, and find no references to it.

do any of you get this? obviously it's neurological, and i wonder if there's an ASD tie-in?

i have a weird theory it might be some vestigial, leftover reflex from when we were animals, like when animals use their tails to swat flies, or, as a friend said, when horses "do that weird skin-twitching thing".

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 8:03 pm

Sometimes my lower back will twitch, but I haven't noticed any single cause for it.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

I know exactly what you mean! I don't get it as much lately, but back when it happened more frequently, it was caused by other things besides flying insects such as: The sound of the water sprayer at the hairdressers, brushing my hair and touching a certain part of my scalp, wow I can't remember anymore things that brought that on, but I do remember that sensation very well. I'm surprised that someone else got this too! :)

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jun 2011, 12:22 am

i also used to get it when my cat purred in my ear when i was small.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 8:37 am

I hate flies. I'm a bit afraid of them, too. Whenever one is near my ear, I almost jump, and I start kind of waving my arms around. I don't mind mosquitoes as much.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

SilverSolace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jun 2011, 8:39 am

Wow! Other people experience that too. Hm! I don't experience that with fly buzzing noises so much (buzzing noises just startle me) but any sort of sniffling noise near my ear, an animal licking my face, or someone whispering in my ear triggers that feeling.

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2011, 3:15 am

It doesn't give me a tickling sensation in my back, but it does give one in my nasal cavity, as well as down the back of my throat, and in my chest cavity.

The "cat purring nearby" thing also has the same effect.

I don't have any allergies.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 3:45 am

If its buzzing around the room, its annoying but I ignore it.

If it buzzes near my ear or flies at me, I freak out. D: *shudders*