Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

One time someone was saying that the neighbourhood they used to live in wasn't very nice, because there were bars at the end of the street. They meant bars as in pubs, but I understood it as bars as in rods (I envisioned them as metal), and I was puzzled about why/how a street would have (metal) bars at the end of it, and even if it did, how that would make it a not nice neighbourhood. I finally figured out what they were talking about when someone talked about going to the bar, or closing time at the bar, or something like that.

I don't know if that counts as literalism, because both bar=rod and bar=pub are literal meanings of 'bar', just different literal meanings, and I understood it with the wrong (and more concrete) one.

Another time, my roommate had two friends over for tea, and while she and I were getting things ready in the kitchen, she whispered to me "I hope they go out". I understood "go out" as "go out of the house, leave", and was puzzled why she'd invited them over if she wanted them to leave so soon. About 10 seconds later I realized she meant that she wanted them to date each other.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 4:57 pm

the other day my mom bought a mandolin slicer, I asked her why she wanted to slice a mandolin.

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 6:35 pm

MollyTroubletail wrote:
Trying to get me to make the dog mind = Trying to teach me how to make the dog obey me. The dog won't obey me.

Oh.

I get it now. :D

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2011, 7:19 pm

League_Girl wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:
My husband was trying to get me to make the dog mind. No matter what I did, he said it was wrong. Finally he blurted out, "That's not how you do it!"

I turned to him in bewilderment and said, "That is how I do it! You just saw me do it right in front of you, so how can you say that's not how I do it?"

It took me about five seconds to figure out what this had to do with being literal.

me too!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 9:51 pm

Aspergers is so Zen.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2011, 1:11 am

MyDogSasha wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:
Trying to get me to make the dog mind = Trying to teach me how to make the dog obey me. The dog won't obey me.

For some reason my brain went straight to "Making the dog mind" as some kind of activity that involves emulating or creating a dog's mind.

Then I realized this was nonsense, and looked again.

thats EXCATLY what i was thinking.... 8O

Me too. I read it a few times trying to figure out what making the dog mind meant. :(

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Jun 2011, 1:15 am

SirLogiC wrote:
MyDogSasha wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:

For some reason my brain went straight to "Making the dog mind" as some kind of activity that involves emulating or creating a dog's mind.

Me too. I read it a few times trying to figure out what making the dog mind meant. :(

Just for the record, I still interpret it this way and have to stop and go back to the actual meaning.

It is entertaining to ponder what "making the dog mind" would be. It seems impossibly abstract. Like, could it be making the Platonic ideal of a dog's mind, and what would that platonic ideal be? An embodiment of "man's best friend?" a throwback to lupine ancestors? Would it get excited if I threw it a frozen kong filled with peanut butter?

Clearly deep philosophical questions here.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 2:26 am

Verdandi wrote:
SirLogiC wrote:
MyDogSasha wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:

Just for the record, I still interpret it this way and have to stop and go back to the actual meaning.

It is entertaining to ponder what "making the dog mind" would be. It seems impossibly abstract. Like, could it be making the Platonic ideal of a dog's mind, and what would that platonic ideal be? An embodiment of "man's best friend?" a throwback to lupine ancestors? Would it get excited if I threw it a frozen kong filled with peanut butter?

Making the dog mind means to make it listen to you and to behave good and not doing things you don't want it to do.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 2:45 am

League_Girl wrote:
Making the dog mind means to make it listen to you and to behave good and not doing things you don't want it to do.

Yes, I think we've established that now. But don't you think it an exceedingly odd way of saying you want the dog to obey?

I couldn't focus on the point being made about literalism because I was stuck on reading "making the dog mind" and trying to comprehend what that could possibly be.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Jun 2011, 3:00 am

League_Girl wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
SirLogiC wrote:
MyDogSasha wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:

Yes, I know. That's what I meant by "the actual meaning." I'm just describing where my thoughts keep going despite knowing the intended meaning.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 5:04 am

nemorosa wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Yes, I think we've established that now. But don't you think it an exceedingly odd way of saying you want the dog to obey?

I couldn't focus on the point being made about literalism because I was stuck on reading "making the dog mind" and trying to comprehend what that could possibly be.

People also say that about other humans like "Do you mind?" "Would you mind turning that off?"

I always picture a brain. I can't make a literal image in my head from the words.

Making the dog mind, I picture a dog brain. Or how about sitting down at the table and making a dog's brain out of clay. There is your literal image of the phrase. :P

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 5:07 am

I just thought of something, when I keep seeing the thread title, I keep thinking the OP was literal at work because he took something literal there.

But he actually means his literal mind is working. Nothing to do with him being at work with his literal mind.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jun 2011, 8:00 am

League_Girl wrote:
nemorosa wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

People also say that about other humans like "Do you mind?" "Would you mind turning that off?"

I always picture a brain. I can't make a literal image in my head from the words.

Making the dog mind, I picture a dog brain. Or how about sitting down at the table and making a dog's brain out of clay. There is your literal image of the phrase. :P

The meaning of 'mind' in 'Do you mind?' is different from the meaning in 'making the dog mind'. In 'Do you mind?', 'mind' means something like 'be annoyed', while in 'making the dog mind', it means something like 'pay attention'.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 9:49 am

Cassia wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

The meaning of 'mind' in 'Do you mind?' is different from the meaning in 'making the dog mind'. In 'Do you mind?', 'mind' means something like 'be annoyed', while in 'making the dog mind', it means something like 'pay attention'.

I think League_Girl maybe thought people were unfamiliar with mind as a verb or even somehow the issue was that it was used in conjunction with dog. I'm quite happy with the use of mind but have never in four decades seen it applied in quite that way. It feels as if the sentence has been clipped or truncated, and is missing vital information, hence the confusion.

Mind the step.
Mind your way.
Mind your own business.
Will you please mind what I say.
I really don't mind.

All those uses are quite clear, but "making the dog mind...." - Mind what? Just like "making the man mind" would be equally strange to me, whereas "making the man mind out of the way" is ok.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm

Cassia wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
nemorosa wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I always thought "do you mind meant?" "Will you stop?" as in obey me because stop it, behave. Making the dog mind= listen to me, behave.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 12:25 pm

nemorosa wrote:
Cassia wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I think League_Girl maybe thought people were unfamiliar with mind as a verb or even somehow the issue was that it was used in conjunction with dog. I'm quite happy with the use of mind but have never in four decades seen it applied in quite that way. It feels as if the sentence has been clipped or truncated, and is missing vital information, hence the confusion.

Mind the step.
Mind your way.
Mind your own business.
Will you please mind what I say.
I really don't mind.

All those uses are quite clear, but "making the dog mind...." - Mind what? Just like "making the man mind" would be equally strange to me, whereas "making the man mind out of the way" is ok.

Now it seems like a double standard. Why are you okay with the other sentences but not with "Making your dog mind?"