The Running Man - Wrong Planet's New Health Column

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2011, 3:41 pm

+1 for running barefoot.

i would have to add however, there's not a boot on earth that can provide ankle support. with the exception of boots that can theoretically restrict the range of motion to prevent a sprain. I have to say theoretically, because when you're carrying 100 pounds of stuff and you have to stop a stumble and roll your ankle.. how much force did you just exert on your foot... 300-400 pounds? and what did your shoe do? your foot probably slipped an inch or two inside it?
Think again about what you consider ankle support and why you need it.
The muscles that support your ankle are tied to the same neural network as the rest of them. if you don't use them because your shoes are wider than they should be, your brain will forget they exist. (you can learn how to carry a pack across a dry riverbed without caring where you step.)
Fyi: i learned how to walk toe first, and did so until i was about 8 yrs old.

nancydaisy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2011, 6:03 pm

I like it:) Wonderful idea!

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

:o I'm glad to see mention books Born to Run and Barefoot Running.
I will add another excellent book too: In Fitness and In Health by Dr Philip Maffetone.
I have been feeling much healthier since following his suggestions.
Together, those three are my favorites although there are lots of other good ones.
Here you can find a great long description of a mountainous 100 mile race done in minimalist moccasins: http://www.runningandrambling.com/

Running Man - thank you - for starting this because you inspired me to give running a try again and now I feel great about it like I used to. yay.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 6:28 pm

I'd like to hear more - when will there be some articles, perhaps?

Imaginate
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2011, 8:00 pm

Another fan of barefoot running here. Well, I've been wearing Vibram KSO, as well as the Treksport on my trail runs. It does take some getting used to to strengthen the smaller muscles in your legs, feet, and ankles, but so far, so good.

Transitioning to running barefoot has been like falling in love (with running) all over again.