Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 10:47 pm

You're in a situation where someone is attempting to get information from you - but they're not asking the right questions or asking the questions in the right way - you know exactly what they want to know, but you find you can't answer unless they ask you in a specific way.

It's like you need them to structure the question in a way so that you can structure your answer in the same way, you're feeling uncomfortable about semantics, or that the answer is so specific you need them to be psychic to be able to ask the specific question that would allow you to give that specific answer back to them. Maybe you'd be able to tell them what they need to know if only they gave you a break from the questions so you could stop, think and explain how you're feeling or what you're thinking in your own words rather than being prompted or asked questions in such a way that makes it hard for you to answer.

You know that you're being awkward and life would be so easier if you could just answer the question - it may even be that if you don't answer the question it'll mean something bad for you or you missing out on something, you can't help not being able to answer.

Does anyone know what I'm going on about, does anyone get this problem too?

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Last edited by Bloodheart on 22 Jun 2011, 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 10:49 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
Do you expect people to be psychic?

Never.

There is no valid material evidence to support any claim for psychic ability.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

melodylynette
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

Always. It triggers irritiblility in me.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 11:00 pm

I find it difficult to overcome people's assumptions, or at least I imagine that I will. So, if someone seems to assume a lot with their questions then I tend to focus on that, and don't believe that they would understand my answer if I just gave it. I also get really bothered if I get peppered with questions.

I really have to work at remembering what I've told people repeatedly, and what I've only wished hard that they'd understand.

Fnord, just because you won't look at the evidence doesn't mean it isn't out there. www.sheldrake.org If you want to argue about that, though, let's take it to PPR.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Jun 2011, 11:02 pm

I do know what you mean and I've had this problem to the point of getting into an argument when, if I could give them the correct, most accurate answer if only they asked the right question, there would have been no argument at all. When it finally does come out they always ask "Why didn't you say so?" And I have no answer that will make sense to them.

I do it less than I used to.

anikatheoddone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2011, 11:03 pm

no.......sorry the way u wrote that confused me a little but no, i dont really think that. the only person i think that is my mom because her side of the family is generation after generation after generation of REAL psychics.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 11:04 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Fnord, just because you won't look at the evidence doesn't mean it isn't out there. www.sheldrake.org If you want to argue about that, though, let's take it to PPR.

I have looked at what you call "Evidence". I also used to be a professional psychic, so I know how easily people can be fooled by Barnum phrases, sleight-of-hand, and all of the other tricks of the con-game.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Jun 2011, 11:10 pm

I did not assume that Bloodheart's question was literally about being psychic, but about the idea that in order to ask the correct question, one would have to be able to read one's mind to find out what the correct question is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 11:11 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I did not assume that Bloodheart's question was literally about being psychic, but about the idea that in order to ask the correct question, one would have to be able to read one's mind to find out what the correct question is.

That would come under the category of Telepathy - a psychic ability - if such an ability existed.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 11:12 pm

Sometimes i act like people are and most of the time people think they are. I dont even answer most questions my parents throw at me anymore they assume a lot of things but are always horribly wrong and this annoys me, even after answering their questions for 5 minutes they will not hear what i say because of all the assumptions they make. I can be interrogated and they will try to convince me of something i already acknowledged in the first sentence. It annoys me when people think you dont get something simple that is only a small part of the topic which you leave out because you think it is basic and doesnt need talking about.

I feel that their thought proces is slow and it resulted in me just not making the effort to communicate anymore. This goes for most people i interact with but it is less frequent so it doesnt annoy me as much.

Last edited by TB on 23 Jun 2011, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 11:20 pm

Yup, that's exactly the way it is. It's just as frustrating for me not being able to give information as it is the interrogator not receiving any information.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 11:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

That would come under the category of Telepathy - a psychic ability - if such an ability existed.

Right, but it's like saying "I would have to be able to fly to get to that ledge." Obviously I can't fly, and I have no expectation of ever being able to fly, so I am using a metaphor to say "Getting to that ledge is impossible for me." My interpretation of what Bloodheart wrote was that saying that someone would have to read her mind to know what she needs them to ask is asking the impossible because people in real life are not psychic.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 11:42 pm

This is a post about communication problems.
If you wish to discuss the validity of people who claim to have psychic powers take it on over to PPR folks, thank you :D

Thank you for trying to clarify this to people Verdandi x

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 11:49 pm

Yes I am this way but I don't call it being psychic.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 9:09 am

Bloodheart wrote:

Oh, REALLY?
Bloodheart wrote:

Nowhere in the thread title do I see the word "Communication" - only "Psychic".
Bloodheart wrote:
If you wish to discuss the validity of people who claim to have psychic powers take it on over to PPR folks...

If you wish to discuss communications issues, then why did you open this thread as a psychic issue?

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2011, 9:28 am

Fnord wrote:
Bloodheart wrote:

Oh, REALLY?
Bloodheart wrote:

Nowhere in the thread title do I see the word "Communication" - only "Psychic".
Bloodheart wrote:
If you wish to discuss the validity of people who claim to have psychic powers take it on over to PPR folks...

If you wish to discuss communications issues, then why did you open this thread as a psychic issue?

Fnord. You latch on to any mention of the occult and are so set in debunking it (even after people explain that they were not trying to be literal in their use of such language).

It seems to me like you very much want to believe in it. No one runs around shouting "the sun will rise tomorrow!" unless they think that maybe it won't.

Personally, I see the believe/non-believe dichotomy as a fallacy. If something works, then it works. If it doesn't than it doesn't. Arguing about opinions changes nothing.

Anyway, OP - I know that a lot of the time I will have a conversation or part of a conversation planned out in my head. If something unexpected is said or comes up its very possible that I'll be totally lost and have nothing to say. I haven't had the 'has to ask a specific question' thing come up, but there are times when the dialogue takes a wrong turn and I just have no idea what to say. I will sit there opening and closing my mouth as I realize that I just became totally lost and mute...

Maybe if you follow up with a text/e-mail/note that says "I was hoping that you would ask ___, because I need to tell you ____" it would help.