What is your LATEST obsession/special interest

Page 20 of 30 [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next

Xayah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jun 2011, 1:14 pm

nhl ice hockey, but I suspect that's going to die down soon

the trials and tribulations of a girl pretending to be normal

star_player
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2011, 1:17 pm

Chess! I'm kind of permanently obsessed with the whole Soccer thing though and I refuse to drop it, so nothing new ever gets too much time. 2h/day max I think.

TheRedKipper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2011, 7:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Surreal wrote:
The 2012 Buick Regal that I'd like to lease!

http://www.autovic.com/wp-content/uploa ... 75x316.jpg

It's gotten to the point that I have not only test driven the current models (CXL and Turbo), but have been scouring the Internet for information on the changes to the 2012 model to the point that I can't do anything else on the web without defaulting to the Regal!

it's really a heavily modified opel insignia.

Oh YES, I'm quite aware...as you might imagine! I've even gone to the trouble of going to the Opel website, as a matter of fact! It's quite the same car...except for the blue backlit gauges and other details like the grille and badges!

The 2012 Regal will be more Americanized, but I do hope they will keep the same grade of leather that the 2011 has! The leather in the other Buick products is more slick whereas the 2011 Regal has more of a grain to it!

I have the distinct feeling that everyday ownership will be somewhat anti-climactic! :roll:

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

MyDogSasha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

chimps/monkeys/gorillas ect

:D

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

VHS is still going strong for the time being.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:37 am

Surreal wrote:
I have the distinct feeling that everyday ownership will be somewhat anti-climactic! :roll:

that is always the case, as acclimation to a new normal takes place. that is why lasting happiness is a mirage. anyways, since i don't belong to the monied social classes, i will have to content myself with my 14-year-old jalopy. at least it is paid for. otherwise i'd be driving a large cadillac sedan deville or lincoln towncar, as i am a big person who fits best inside a big car.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:46 am

mikey1138 wrote:
VHS is still going strong for the time being.

i hope by "VHS" you are referring to jvc's "video home system" instead of some other thing. anyways, i remember when the first VCRs showed up in our local high-end department store in seattle [1974]- it was a sony betamax, and i was amazed at the picture quality as demonstrated over a sony trinitron tv set. 3 years later i saw the first VHS units and was less impressed except for the fact that they were a lot cheaper than the sony units. i wasn't able to actually afford a VCR until 1983, when they finally came down in price. from that time to roughly 2004 [when i started using DVD recorders] i accumulated boxes of tapes, that i am now in the slow process of dubbing onto DVD-R while the tape machines still last. fast-forward to 2011, and nobody sells the machines or even the tapes to record on them. nobody even has the pre-recorded vhs tapes anymore, it is just DVDs now. technology is just going by me waaaaayyy too fast for me to keep up with it anymore. so i guess my present obsession is that i just can't keep up with the world anymore. i feel like a less-educated version of andy rooney. :roll:

amber_missy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2011, 5:08 am

Trying to save the world!

It's an SI that I've had since I was tiny and obsessed with nature, living things and life in general. Now that I'm older, I'm able to actually DO something about it. I'm trying to downsize, green my home, work out if it's practical / possible to get microgeneration working at home, working on knocking down the garage so I can have some space to grow veggies and live the "Good Life".

Unfortunately, I do work in admin (OCD makes filing fun! :) and never have time to really DO as much as I'd like. Twice as unfortunate, it means I'm often browsing "save the world" type websites (or others relating to any other SIs) during working hours, so I'm always paranoid that work will check my web-usage and fire me! Oops!

Saving the world has been an SI since I was little, but I've gone through:
Buffy tVS (for several years - to the point I spent £'000s on autographs and posters and "stuff")
World of Warcraft (I try to keep this to "hobby" level of obsession, but every so often it takes over)
Animals - especially Cats (another lifelong SI, but I am lucky enough to have 4 kitties of my own now :)
AS - Started looking into this when my partner was diagnosed, to find that I'm most likely quite high on the spectrum too and haven't stopped being interested since I found out there was a "diagnosis" to put to my personality quirks and oddities. :) Still haven't got an official diagnosis as a) I'm female and b) when I was younger, my little sister would tell me off for not being "normal" and I loved her SO much that I'd seriously repress who I was so she wasn't upset at me or embarrased by me, that I can come across as normal even if I'm killing myself inside to do it so I'm not sure they'd take me seriously.
Famous 5 and anything by Enid Blyton for that age group (again, when I was younger)
Programming for the Acorn Electron (still young)
Snooker players (I didn't like snooker, but was obsessed with memorising their names when I was very young at about the age of 4/5 I could list over 50! - I'd say this was my first SI that I can remember that stood other than the "save the world" thing - I was telling people to switch off lights before I really knew about CO2 or HOW/WHY switching lights off helped - I just knew that it DID!)

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2011, 9:13 am

auntblabby wrote:
Surreal wrote:

that is always the case, as acclimation to a new normal takes place. that is why lasting happiness is a mirage. anyways, since i don't belong to the monied social classes, i will have to content myself with my 14-year-old jalopy. at least it is paid for. otherwise i'd be driving a large cadillac sedan deville or lincoln towncar, as i am a big person who fits best inside a big car.

Monied social classes???? :lol: :lol:

Nahhhh...I just have a weakness for cars! :roll: :lol:

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

mindgame

23 Jun 2011, 2:13 pm

Typography! I love learning about the development of different type faces and fonts.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 5:33 pm

mindgame wrote:
Typography! I love learning about the development of different type faces and fonts.

Typography is wonderful.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 5:53 pm

Simonono wrote:

That one's my first... my last... my everything! I'm not so fanatic about it that I own every single series on DVD including the Beast shows, RiD/Armada/Cybertron, Animated and Prime, but I got most of the American G1 stuff on DVD and as comic books.

However, I am heavily considering selling all my Transformers toys to a second hand toy store. I'm just not using them anymore.

I figure I no longer have true special interests/obesessions anymore, but my increasing interest in Indonesian culture probably counts

kezzieb

23 Jun 2011, 6:12 pm

Monuments and memorials in Southampton (the city where I currently reside). It's really interesting, there are loads of Titanic memorials, there's the Cenotaph, one for the Plymouth Brethren (Southampton was the last port in the UK they left from before going to America, not Plymouth), one for Lord Palmerston who came from the Southampton area. I'm doing research on it and will probably end up writing an article on them that will probably never be published.

stilldays
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2011, 7:27 pm

I'm getting into impressionism (debussy), neurobiology (specifically psychopharmacological actions of various substances and the dopamine system theory of mental illness). I have these giant thought chains in which I have mini insights. I realized that the dopamine system plays a huge role in reward and when one has ASD only several links to the pleasure center can be activated at any time causing mini endorphin addictions. Just a hypothesis though.

Guitar playing (classical style) has always been a mainstay. The neurobiology and behavior of autism is an obvious recent one.