Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Provv
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jul 2011, 6:25 pm

This is the type of post that got me banned from the ADHD forum.

Let's see how things go here at WrongPlanet.

First of all, I'm male, nearly 30 years old, unemployed for almost a year. I have asked the local career center for training funds and have been denied those funds several times on the grounds that I'm not a good candidate for funds for several reasons, such as the fact that they don't believe that the proprietary technology I was familiar with at my previous job is useless in the outside world. It actually is, but the people at the career center don't buy it. I have also been given other poor reasons for their not giving me funds but I don't need to discuss those.

I can't just go and get a nice, decent paying job such as customer service rep because I don't have the attention span for that type of job.

The type of job that I might be able to do, such as programming, is not within my reach because I don't have up-to-date knowledge of programming languages used in the industry.

These little things trigger suicidal ideation. I called my shrink but he is in Cancun. I would go to a psychiatric hospital, but who wants to be involuntarily committed to one of those places. It's not like I am on the verge of killing myself anyway.

I am not asking for support. I am not asking for anyone to tell me everything is going to be okay.

I am just hoping that someone will point me toward a place where a person like me might be able to get help. Therapists have told me they are not career advisors. Career advisors got pissed off at me and asked me how a person as f****d up as me managed to go to college.

Any suggestions on how I could kill myself? No, just kidding.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 6:31 pm

can't you update your knowledge?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Jul 2011, 6:50 pm

What about distance learning? For example, the Open University.

Provv
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jul 2011, 7:05 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:

On my own?

Probably, with the right medications.

Regardless, saying that I "taught myself this and that" is unlikely to impress anyone. You need to have proof that you actually studied something or earned a certificate of some sort.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 7:46 pm

and you can't get that?

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:16 pm

Provv wrote:
Any suggestions on how I could kill myself? No, just kidding.

I got a suggestion post this crap in the haven! I am not going to give someone like you advice. Everytime I give someone advice they come up with some absurb excuse why they can't so I come up with another idea for them, nope they block that too. I stopped giving a f#ck so all I am going to say to you is sh!t or get off the pot. Read that how you like. :wink:

JMG
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2011, 8:31 pm

Go to a psych ward it really helps bro. We all go through this you just gotta accept the help that is offered at hospitals.

TheCaityCat
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2011, 8:35 pm

Provv wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:

On my own?

Regardless, saying that I "taught myself this and that" is unlikely to impress anyone. You need to have proof that you actually studied something or earned a certificate of some sort.

Community college? You can get disability accommodations. I did.

Provv
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jul 2011, 8:37 pm

TheCaityCat wrote:
Provv wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:

On my own?

Community college? You can get disability accommodations. I did.

Disability accomodations such as what?

I'm not sure they are necessary, though. I was able to breeze through a 4 year respectable university. if I was able to do that then how in the world would I not be able to do well at a community college without accomodations?

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 9:07 pm

Probably going to have work extra hard. Get a job working nights doing whatever you feel you are capable of doing. Nightshifts pay a little extra and you can escape from working customer rep jobs. Then during the day take classes towards up-dating your languages. Work towards some specific degree and job market instead of taking what you want to do. Sure you might not succeed, but you'll regret it if you don't.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 9:15 pm

Yeah I'd recommend either a night shift job or some kind of courier job. Even pizza delivery.

I've done solitary night work and while it can be dull you do have a lot of independence. Then set aside money for classes and certifications.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2011, 9:33 pm

Right.. keep that attitude and your career IS dead.
I have ADHD too but when I need to concentrate I can force myself to; you had a job before so I have little doubt you can too.
We live in a world where knowledge is freely available.. PICK SOMETHING vaguely close to what you did and make yourself an expert in it. You've obviously got the time.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 9:52 pm

Oops I posted something I wrote on here earlier in the wrong thread.

But ignore some of the jerk comments on here and join us in The Haven section. Lots of people there to relate to your situation and share your thoughts with.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2011, 9:55 pm

It improved for me after I joined Toastmasters. It's a safe place to learn to be more social and helped me change some. You don't need everyone to like you just whoever is hiring you and the team you're on.