No interests other than Video games and Anime

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mihen
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2011, 2:49 pm

Any suggestions of other hobbies that i might like?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

Hmm... let's see.

Both video games and anime have a pretty strong fantasy component. Have you tried tabletop role-playing games? I'm currently in a game of Exalted, which has some influences from anime. Of course you have to find a group, but there are clubs and announcements to be found at most gaming stores.

But don't try to get rid of your attachment to your special interests altogether. Having those is part of the way your mind works, and you very likely use them to relax and re-organize your brain after a stressful day. :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

mihen wrote:
Any suggestions of other hobbies that i might like?

Music, writing (if you have a good imagination). You really don't know until you start exploring like taking a class or learning off the net. It's up to you really. You have to just try stuff and find what sticks. There is no big secret.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm

Heh, writing, yeah... You could try writing fan fiction. A warning, though: your first attempts will be truly truly horrible! You just have to keep writing until you get better at it. But keep your first attempts, because in a few years you'll be able to look at them and laugh at how terrible you used to be and how far you've come. I started writing fan fiction when I was about fourteen, and I swear I had the worst, sparkliest Mary Sues in the universe...

Autism Memorial:

mihen
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

ZakFiend wrote:
Music, writing (if you have a good imagination). You really don't know until you start exploring like taking a class or learning off the net. It's up to you really. You have to just try stuff and find what sticks. There is no big secret.

not really into music or writing

Callista wrote:
Hmm... let's see.

Both video games and anime have a pretty strong fantasy component. Have you tried tabletop role-playing games? I'm currently in a game of Exalted, which has some influences from anime. Of course you have to find a group, but there are clubs and announcements to be found at most gaming stores.

But don't try to get rid of your attachment to your special interests altogether. Having those is part of the way your mind works, and you very likely use them to relax and re-organize your brain after a stressful day. :)

i've tried them but i didn't really like it, also i'd never give up anime and video games

thanks for the replies (didn't think i would get replies that fast)

nissa_amas_katoj
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jul 2011, 3:12 pm

Video games and anime. What more do you need?

Chocolate, of course. And a cat.

I could suggest a lot of other special interests you might pursue (Doctor Who, or compulsively watching Korean dramas), but really I think you should look inside yourself and ask why you are feeling the need to add something to your video game and anime regime. What sort of something are you lacking?

Perhaps you will become a Third-Order Franciscan, learn to cook snake meat, write a novel in Latin, or develop a cure for not having Dissociative Identity Disorder. The real answer is inside you.

But in the meantime, get a cat. And another cat. There's no better toy for a cat than another cat.

+Praise Jesus Christ!+

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 3:20 pm

Seconded on the cat. Anybody (who isn't allergic) needs a good cat.

Two cats are easier than one. This is true. If you want them to be friends as adults, get two kittens from the same litter. Otherwise, a slow, careful introduction will be necessary to let them work out how they'll split the territory.

Autism Memorial:

mihen
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

nissa_amas_katoj wrote:
Video games and anime. What more do you need?

Chocolate, of course. And a cat.

I could suggest a lot of other special interests you might pursue (Doctor Who, or compulsively watching Korean dramas), but really I think you should look inside yourself and ask why you are feeling the need to add something to your video game and anime regime. What sort of something are you lacking?

Perhaps you will become a Third-Order Franciscan, learn to cook snake meat, write a novel in Latin, or develop a cure for not having Dissociative Identity Disorder. The real answer is inside you.

But in the meantime, get a cat. And another cat. There's no better toy for a cat than another cat.

To be completely honest i'm fine with just video games and anime but i feel like i should have more hobbies. It's funny that you mention cats i've always wanted to get a cat (i've always preferred them to dogs)

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jul 2011, 3:24 pm

As you can see, I have a strong interest in one video game series. No advice here! :lol:

Hotura

27 Jul 2011, 3:30 pm

I have interests in anime and video games. Ever thought of drawing fan art or making your own original character ? I draw fan art sometimes and try to make my own original characters.

mihen
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2011, 3:48 pm

Hotura wrote:
I have interests in anime and video games. Ever thought of drawing fan art or making your own original character ? I draw fan art sometimes and try to make my own original characters.

Not very good at drawing, i mean even my handwriting is atrocious (still readable though)

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 4:07 pm

If you like anime, you could expand into live action Japanese film, too. There are a LOT of good films, new and old, in all genres, from japan that a lot of people don't even know about.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 6:06 pm

You could try something really different. Some sort of physical activity? But I found this hard to get into for social reasons, so it might not be that good of a suggestion.

For some reason, the normal people at my kung fu club are almost all into video games or anime.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 6:30 pm

Well, physical activity IS a good idea; it feels good, it's good for you, and it's something that anybody can do. If you're in a reasonably safe neighborhood, I totally recommend walking or cycling. Just getting out and moving can be a really wonderful thing. Get yourself an mp3 player and headphones, because if you're like me, you won't want to just walk; you'll want to have something to think about too. Audiobooks are my favorite, but I also like musicals. At the moment I have "Chicago" running through my head.

Another benefit: If you're clumsy, then doing physical stuff helps you get practice. It doesn't have to be sports; in fact, I don't really think sports are the best idea because of how much multitasking it takes. Just practice moving around and learning how to figure out where your limbs are and how you're balanced.

Autism Memorial:

mihen
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2011, 6:54 pm

sacrip wrote:
If you like anime, you could expand into live action Japanese film, too. There are a LOT of good films, new and old, in all genres, from japan that a lot of people don't even know about.

Thanks for the suggestion i'll try it out, any recommendations?

Sora wrote:
You could try something really different. Some sort of physical activity? But I found this hard to get into for social reasons, so it might not be that good of a suggestion.

For some reason, the normal people at my kung fu club are almost all into video games or anime.

Callista wrote:
Well, physical activity IS a good idea; it feels good, it's good for you, and it's something that anybody can do. If you're in a reasonably safe neighborhood, I totally recommend walking or cycling. Just getting out and moving can be a really wonderful thing. Get yourself an mp3 player and headphones, because if you're like me, you won't want to just walk; you'll want to have something to think about too. Audiobooks are my favorite, but I also like musicals. At the moment I have "Chicago" running through my head.

Another benefit: If you're clumsy, then doing physical stuff helps you get practice. It doesn't have to be sports; in fact, I don't really think sports are the best idea because of how much multitasking it takes. Just practice moving around and learning how to figure out where your limbs are and how you're balanced.

i forgot to mention i take the occasional walk/bike ride

Alex_W
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2011, 12:20 am

mihen wrote:
sacrip wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion i'll try it out, any recommendations?

I would recommend Oldboy