skills and talent mean nothing to NTs if you cant sociallize

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 2:01 am

Artfuljin wrote:
anyone ever disregard or wright off your skills and talents simply because there seems like there is no emotion behind it.

HELL YEAH! When I was younger I used to dance and I loved it. Except this didnt show in my lack of expression. I was a decent dancer parts but I was held back a lot due to my inabilities to express my dancing. And this is what led me to quit, cause I thought I sucked. I later found out the real reason from my mom and I was frustrated. Cause I could've went on to become a skilled dancer.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

18 Aug 2011, 2:16 am

SammichEater wrote:
kittie wrote:
ion wrote:
When you have to deal with the normals, make a game of it. Pretend you're a spy and need to blend in with the natives. Or that it's a role playing game and you earn XP for each new social skill you can master.

Normals like superficial stuff, so give them a show! Talk about boring stuff like weather, news or sports, but if they touch one of your favorite subjects, put some fire into it so that they see that you're passionate about something. Most normal people can accept weird special interests if it comes packaged in a lot of passion and wrapped in small talk.

Ohmygosh! This sounds so fun (the 'ropleplay game' thing), could make day-to-day life more interesting... :P

I've actually tried that before. Needless to say, I really suck at roleplaying.

:lol:. Most role playing game characters suck until they gain experience and level up. :wink:

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2011, 7:48 pm

ion wrote:
When you have to deal with the normals, make a game of it. Pretend you're a spy and need to blend in with the natives. Or that it's a role playing game and you earn XP for each new social skill you can master.

Normals like superficial stuff, so give them a show! Talk about boring stuff like weather, news or sports, but if they touch one of your favorite subjects, put some fire into it so that they see that you're passionate about something. Most normal people can accept weird special interests if it comes packaged in a lot of passion and wrapped in small talk.
Well, I do the first, but without the game... I feel like I am trying to fit in with these people, but at the same time make friends with people who know me. Quite difficult and challenging.

Hotura
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2011, 10:12 pm

I have veterinary technician skills that I learn during college years. I have heard oh you have a lot of heart for this, you will do well in clinic. But after I graduated I still sit with no job. Yeah I do go and do my continuing education credits. Its so discouraging to see a lot of people that have a job in a veterinarian office and I feel like I am lonely. I have heard you don't have enough experience or you are to over qualified from it too :( I do lurk for a job on different hiring sites. I just feel like my skills are wasted :/

But I am creative with drawing and photography. Probably going to do work in it once I am good at using my future camera and photoshop :D

andrew_w
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2011, 3:12 am

That's certainly the impression I get of much of the IT industry and office environments in general (I also suspect that non-office settings might be more likely to be more focused on the actual work rather than on people). I am wondering if I will ever be able to find computer-related work, despite the fact that I am very good with computers (especially programming). It seems to me that most places want conventional, business-minded team players, not eccentric individualists with great technical skills but poor business and social skills (especially if you're living in an area with relatively few IT-related companies, where a lot of programming work seems to be internal business application development). I want to be more or less left alone to do what I do well, not be expected to conform to a culture and mindset that are completely opposite of mine in almost every way imaginable (freelancing might be an option, but because quite a bit of the programming work in my area is developing internal business applications, I would still run into some of the same problems sometimes).