Aspies talking in the third person or using the Royal We?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 7:19 pm

"Three groups are permitted usage of the royal we: pregnant women, royalty, and schizophrenics. Which one are you?" - United States Navy Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

I noticed that some aspies on here were talking in the third person or using the royal we. This seems a little pretentious to me. What do you think? Why do they do it? Is it to mock other people and amuse themselves or is there some other reason?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 7:27 pm

I use "we" when talking about autistic people, because I myself am autistic. I do it because I feel like if I said "they", then it would imply that I am not autistic. I don't intend to sound pretentious, but if I am coming across that way, then I will stop.

On an unrelated note, General Rickover should have said "people with Dissociative Identity Disorder" instead of "schizophrenics". It's a pet peeve of mine when people confuse the two, although I do realize that it is a widespread misconception among people who don't do a lot of research on psychology.

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 7:30 pm

No I mean like this:

"If we, OldFashioned as we are were to talk in the third person we are sure that we would sound awfully odd and out of place in a time where a man can't even get a straight shave anymore which is why we feel that it is more appropriate for us to speak in the third person."

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 7:40 pm

I hear it all the time from ham radio operators on the air when the ham is talking and you know they are the only one on the radio talking-the ham will constantly say-we are on our way to work or we are driving to the shore or we this and we that-who is we its you and you should say "I am driving to the shore" or "I am driving to work" like that-how many people are holding the microphone.

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 8:01 pm

Radiofixr wrote:
I hear it all the time from ham radio operators on the air when the ham is talking and you know they are the only one on the radio talking-the ham will constantly say-we are on our way to work or we are driving to the shore or we this and we that-who is we its you and you should say "I am driving to the shore" or "I am driving to work" like that-how many people are holding the microphone.

That's the Editorial We. :roll:

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 8:03 pm

OldFashioned wrote:
Radiofixr wrote:

That's the Editorial We. :roll:

Well when ever I hear it I wonder who elected them queen -you know when the queen says "WE ARE NOT AMUSED!"

Humperdinck
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2011, 8:09 pm

Humperdinck feels that the reason that Old fashioned has his nose out of joint, is because he doesn't have the self confidence to talk in whatever style he want's without worrying about other peoples perceptions on himself. Humperdinck thinks that if an individual has an issue with how another person expresses their prose, excluding harassing comments or vulgar language, they need to examine why it makes them feel a certain way.

Humperdinck feels that we are in the right on this matter. Have a nice day.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

i used to do it when i was a kid. idk why

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 9:14 pm

I do at times fall back to using "we", but its not the royal we, its the mathematician's "we".

In Math papers, the standard is to write everything as 'We then do this' where we refers to the author(s) and the audience, despite the fact that the audience hadn't actually done the work. It seems to be a case of explicitly including the audience in the writing.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 9:55 pm

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 10:32 pm

Humperdinck wrote:
Humperdinck feels that the reason that Old fashioned has his nose out of joint, is because he doesn't have the self confidence to talk in whatever style he want's without worrying about other peoples perceptions on himself. Humperdinck thinks that if an individual has an issue with how another person expresses their prose, excluding harassing comments or vulgar language, they need to examine why it makes them feel a certain way.

well said.

MisterJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2011, 10:34 pm

After reading through the posts, I am still not sure what you mean by the "royal we". I think I understand, but I wouldn't make bets on the fact.

Although, the "We are not amused" thing totally popped into my head before running into it on the page.

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 6:24 am

Unless you are indeed an author writing, a mathematician, a head of state, ambassador, king or nobleman it seems somewhat out of place to use the royal we.

I could speak in such manner should I ever wish to but people would find it very odd and so I shan't.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 6:39 am

hyperlexian wrote:
Humperdinck wrote:

well said.

:wtg:

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 7:07 am

I actually do that quite a bit but I'm referring to me and another person.

shilohmm
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2011, 9:03 am

OldFashioned wrote:
I could speak in such manner should I ever wish to but people would find it very odd and so I shan't.

Um, if this isn't the place for those on the spectrum to relax and be odd, where is? :?

Most of the people I've known who talk in third person were either doing it to entertain themselves or did it because they'd been traumatized and deal with dissociation. I think they're a bit more prone to do it in terms of dissociation because they're more aware of the "split" trauma can cause and because they like to be strictly accurate and truthful -- even if they don't have clearly defined multiple personalities, they are aware that there's more than one "part" of their brain responding, that they have independent thought processes, so they say "we" instead of "I".