Have you ever tried to be extroverted and ended up depressed

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

P-We
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2011, 1:57 pm

peaceloveerin wrote:
I honestly don't understand how you could be an extrovert and end up more depressed. It seems as if introverts are more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression. :?

For me anyway, when I´m being extroverted I am definitely out of my "comfort zone" - can fly along for some time then crash when something bad happens. :)

Fritz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2011, 8:18 pm

I know exactly what you're talking about and I've been there too. After awhile you start wondering that nobody understands you and very few people, only close family members, really care.

SilverTung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2011, 9:16 pm

Every. Single. Time.

I walk away from every social situation feeling disappointed in myself and angry at everyone else involved.

It's hard to explain other than that, so I wont. Let me just say that I am far more happy where I am now (4 friends. I see very few people outside of my family in the day in day out) than when I had tons of friends and acquaintances.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 12:48 am

You've just summed up a few years of my life in a single sentence.

There was a year-long period where I wanted to be seen as an outgoing, exciting party girl. While I was able to meet a lot of people and have some interesting experiences, I was pushing myself beyond what was comfortable with. I would have days spent totally exhausted and unable to do anything because I had run out of social energy and had drank too much. I finally came to my senses when I came to a realization that all of this was doing more harm than good.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.