Page 2 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

mad_monkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2012, 7:35 pm

As long asyou are covert and inconspicuous, it could be fine. It's basically what you see cheech and chong movies when used

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2012, 7:45 pm

I kind of view pot the way I view alcohol... if you're consuming it alone, you probably shouldn't be.

If you've got a NT friend willing to be your "life coach" and teach you how to pretend to be NT, pot can be a useful way to break through your Aspie stubbornness and consider that he might actually be right. Back in college, I was one *hell* of a stubborn, self-righteous Aspie nerd, and pot is pretty much the entire reason my friends were able to get past my self-defenses and teach me how to feign outward normalcy for a few hours at a time.

The problem is when you start using pot (or drinking alcohol) every day, then multiple times per day. At that point, it's doing nothing good for you, and is likely to just make a mess of your life.

That said, 14 is probably too young. To be perfectly blunt, your 14 year old NT friends don't really have anything valuable to teach you about life (because their own experiences are still incredibly myopic), and smoking pot with anyone older is just asking for trouble. Wait until you're old enough to have friends who've lived away from their parents for at least a year & gotten laid a few times, then let them be your guides. Until then, forget about it.

Pot is kind of "Meh". It's fun, but it's not one of life's great experiences. In the grand scheme of things, it's no worse than alcohol, but plenty of people manage to badly screw up their lives with alcohol, too. If you're smoking it socially, once in a great while, it's unlikely to cause any huge problems for you... but if you find yourself smoking it out of boredom, by yourself, or often enough that being stoned starts to interfere with your job, studies, or life in general -- or people you encounter NOTICE that you've been smoking it -- you're probably smoking too much & should cut way back or stop.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 7:47 pm

dr01dguy wrote:
To be perfectly blunt

No pun intended? :P

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 10:37 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
dr01dguy wrote:
To be perfectly blunt

No pun intended? :P

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm

I'm an adult, so for liability reasons, I have to say "Smoking is not allowed for those under 18, and I don't condone it".

But off the record, I don't think that moderate marijuana use will do any damage. Certainly not nearly the damage that alcohol or tobacco does. I don't personally like marijuana, as it disconnects me from my "sharpness" or ability to cope with emergencies, etc. That translates to a state of fear, which is unpleasant.

Charles

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2012, 7:12 pm

Speaking purely physiologically THC(the active component in marijuana) creates a euphoric, happy state by stimulating neuroreceptors in the brain, releasing serotonin etc. this is actually really useful with anxiety disorders as it relieves inhibitions. But if you're 14 with a largely undeveloped brain the overstimulation may have...less desirable effects further down the line. I'm saying if you have crippling AS as I do it's a good idea. Just not now and not to excess.

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2012, 7:01 pm

I don't know where you live by dont over do it. I was in Canada recently and they dont mix it down I was a very freaked out and thats after years of useage. If you want to water it down you can mix in the stuff from herbal cigarets.
Personaly feel relaxed and happy around frends but a dont like being around people I don't know on it.

With me sometimes I get really organised, contrary to the steriotype, maybe thats an aspie thing. I often tidy up, vacume, iron shirts, organise paper work and my life in general. It can make working out less boring too.

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jan 2012, 8:54 pm

Marijuana has a weird effect on me.
(I live near the netherlands so it's easily obtainable)

I never had a positive reaction to MJ. Invariably, I feel sleepy and I'm in a state of complete mutism! Quite unfortunate when I'm with friends

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2012, 9:21 pm

Obviously it does. Even just natural things like MIGRAINES make it worse.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 9:23 pm

It works for me.

Can't people just accept that?

s0nshin3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2012, 12:03 am

I personally think it provides a stress relieving escape at night, as long as I'm alone. Being around people tends to exacerbate my social anxieties.
If it works for you, then it works. Just don't become dependent on it.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 2:30 am

alex wrote:
There was a story in the news where I live about parents using medical marijuana to treat their autistic kids. What do you think of that?

http://www.ktla.com/news/extras/ktla-sw ... 9760.story

I remember this story. This is actually not uncommon in medical marijuana states. Remember that in 16 states medical marijuana is legal and is likely monitored by a doctor. The fact is nobody can produce 1 piece of evidence of overdose on marijuana and it's efficacy for a variety of conditions is supported by thousands of years or empirical evidence. Marijuana is such a benign drug there is no reason not to at least try it to see if it helps a child with autism or other conditions. Certainly the side effects much less severe than many prescription drugs. Recently the California Medical Association came out in support of outright legalization:

ABC News

Also, the American Medical Association reversed it's long standing position on medical marijuana when they called for it to be rescheduled to study it's medical benefits:

AMA

Interestingly the government has used the AMA's previous position to support the war on drugs for 80 years. Guess they won't be citing the AMA anymore. Marijuana should be treated as a medicine.

BTW you earned brownie point with me (pun intended). I have been to a few AS forums where any mention of marijuana was prohibited. Nice to see that some people have an open mind and a set of balls.

To the OP- I wouldn't recommend you use any drugs at your age. You should wait a while until you fully mature, 20ish would be a good benchmark. After that I don't see any harm harm in trying marijuana. Just remember that it's effect vary a lot depending on the person. For 1 person it can cause relaxation while in another it can cause anxiety.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 2:55 am

I smoked daily for about two years.

I found it helped a bit, but eventually it wore off.

You will reap what you've sown.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:05 am

you might find yourself quite slow and quit if you do it to often...

Bison554
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jan 2012, 6:14 am

questor wrote:
Yes, numerous studies and tests have proven that smoking weed does damage the brain. It has also been found to cause behavior problems, like booze and other drugs do. In addition Marijuana also does permanent damage to the sperm and egg cells of the reproductive tract, and can affect ones sperm levels, as well as the ability to "perform." Like booze, it also impairs thinking and physical ability, so one is not safe behind the wheel, or operating any kind of equipment.

The study in question used chimpanzees fitted with gas masks filled only with marijuana smoke (i.e. no supplemental O2) for continuous durations of up to 15 minutes. After being exposed to such treatments at length, the chimps developed brain damage. I can't remember the name of the study exactly, but I do believe it was one of the few studies Anslinger paid for that actually helped his case, albeit through fraudulent practices. There is no known irreversible side effect to smoking marijuana, as well as no known deaths.

I will have to follow up on the reproductive health issue. Odd that I haven't heard this objection, but I will look into it.

And no, you should not drive high, on anything, ever.

That all being said, weed is fun, but I feel that it helps just as much as it amplifies AS. It calms my irritation with people I don't like being around me, puts a smile on my face and helps me get things done instead of getting stuck in the small stuff.

It will most likely not help you get out of your head, in fact it will make that worse although some strains have been known to be more social than others with some rare phenos supposedly enhancing social behavior (haven't found this herb yet...). The paranoia can be no fun at times, too. I have experienced negative effects on my desire to flap, still able to keep it private, though.

There are 61 medicinally viable compounds found within cannabis called cannabinoids, with THC being the most famous. I have started looking into how different cannabinoid profiles can be used to accurately predict the medicinal value of particular strains of marijuana. This is still the cutting edge of marijuana research and governmental blocks against institutional study in the United States and abroad make it very difficult to properly conduct the studies that can unlock the full potential of the plant. THC is the most psychoactive compound while CBD tends to favor the body buzzes that pain patients can use.

To get reliable medications you would need to live in a medical state or in a tolerant country, which is important if you find a strain that works very well for you. Your age makes this all the more touchy, especially to me. I didn't start smoking until I was 27, so I can't tell you what effects it could have on a developing brain.

Bison

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 1:25 pm

shrox wrote:
It works for me.

Can't people just accept that?

Hell no, they're too busy slinging around a buncha BS about this supposedly harmful HERB...