Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

RadioHead
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2005, 11:11 am

Thanks for all your support in that other topic. I'm feeling better, although still sad, but it will put my mind to rest if I could know whether the choice I made was the right one.

Originally I had wanted to do a course in the arts, especially digital arts, but I was dissuaded into doing so by my parents. Firstly, I have been aware for quite a while that I may have a visual spatial deficit (I may have NLD instead of AS). No gaurantees about that though, as I draw a lot. And secondly my parents promised that they will find ways for me to continue pursuing my passion as a part time or a hobby, a promise they have yet to live up to. They choice they suggested that I should go to was, instead, mass communications.

I made the choice, but it was under the influence of my parents, who told me that I should go for this course of journalism because it was very writing intensive, and writing, especially persuasive writng, was one of the things I exceled in during my secondary school days (I was among the top 5 in English Language in my school for the GCE O levels). Unfortunately, as I learned more, I found that they will be acessing my spoken communication and nonverbal communication, and written communication actually constituted only a part of the course. The course also seemed to be a safe haven for sociopaths and arrogant socialites, obviously taking the course so they can enter the sales and marketing force...UGH. In the end, the more I think about it, I realized just how this course is in opposition to who I am, and what I stand for.

Who I am, obviously because I am a person with a social disabilty, and what I stand for, as I belive rampant mass consummerism is plays a major role in the decline of modern society. I was staring at my speech communications assignment: "Plan a sales pitch and present it to the class." It was then I started contemplating suicide.

I will admit there are some plus points however, like for instance a the lecturer in the "Exploring Contemporary Issues" lessons. He boycotts TV and radio, as well as McDonalds. I chatted with him and he admitted that he liked how "radical" I was. He is really the opposite of me in terms of personality though, the class found him affable and his lesson riveting. I have yet to ask him why he is teaching Mass Communications though.

Positives and negatives aside, There is no turning back at this point. I already have obligations in the course, like the numerous group projects we are assigned to do, as well as receiving my campus ID. However, it will be comforting if I knew for sure whether journalism is right for people with Aspergers, and might also make things more predictable; at least I know what despair I will face.

All in all, its ironic really. Here I am, learning about the immoral practice of advertising, aka sensationalist propaganda, when my parents falsely advertised this course as the one that will suit my needs.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2005, 11:30 am

I don't know if journalism is for you or not. I can certainly see you as a staff writer on an "alternative" paper (based on your opinions) but that probably isn't what you parents had in mind! Your writing is excellent.

You would be excellent as a press release writer since you do communicate so clearly and in a straightforward fashion.

Reporter seems like it might be more problematic.

BUT, BUT, BUT the important thing is to get a degree in something. So many positions, things you may never have thought about, open up if you have a post secondary degree. Often what the degree is in is secondary.

----

RadioHead wrote:
"Plan a sales pitch and present it to the class."

Have you selected your "product" yet? I'd love to see you turn this assignment on it head and make a sales pitch for something like "less consumerism" or "rational product selection." hehe Only if you could do so without getting yourself in trouble, of course. If that's going too far maybe a sales pitch for a non-profit org or a cause you truely belive in.

----
And I hope your parents were simply mistaken as to what this course was. I hope they were trying to make a decision in your best interest and just messed up. :(

BeeBee

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2005, 1:32 pm

Radiohead, an AS professional once told me that 40% of Aspies also have NonVerbal Learning Disorder. Just so you know, it is possible to have both, though sometimes hard to tell where one ends and the other begins.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2005, 1:35 pm

sorry to be an absolute cow (but who can go against their nature?), but asking "should i have WENT into journalism?" suggests you should have a really good think about it - it's "gone", not "went" :(

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2005, 5:07 pm

As for your marketing type class, and planning sales pitches, Radiohead, I can understand your worry. I took a class called "The Entreprenuer" which was about selling your art or products and becoming your own business. At first I was terrified, but it ended up being the best and most useful class that I had this semester.

I thought "I am not product-oriented! I don't keep up with contemporary issues and trends! I don't know what people want! I just want to make stuffed animals, d@mmit!"

But throughout the course I realized that if you do something you are passionate about, that honesty really helps. It can shine through, even if you have a difficult time thinking of a way to communicate. But I think that sometimes people with AS or other social deficits have a way of looking at things that is unusual and can seem fresh and interesting to others, as well. While you may have trouble with nonverbal communication, you also have these assets going for you.

At the same time, you should really consider if this is what you want to do with your life. If it isn't, I suggest you have a very long talk with your parents about this.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2005, 6:34 pm

vetivert wrote:
sorry to be an absolute cow (but who can go against their nature?), but asking "should i have WENT into journalism?" suggests you should have a really good think about it - it's "gone", not "went" :(

Darn. You beat me to it. That's what I was going to say!

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2005, 8:07 pm

If this is your goal. Go for it!! !

mec011
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2005, 7:42 pm

As far as whether or not Journalism is a good fit with Aspergers... I'd say it certainly is! I've done my undergrad, and I’m trying to decide what to do for post grad, and I'm leaning towards journalism, primarily magazine journalism, as I'm not looking to be a Woodward or Bernstein, and change the world with an article, but to be "fulfilled" in my career, and magazines fit. With the amount of enthusiast magazines available, immersing myself into my “abnormal intensity” interest as a job would be a good thing for me, as the motivation and drive are there, and can easily be used for work! Plus, if (when?) my interests change, my career doesn’t have to; I can potentially change magazines and still have the focus. This may not be the “ideal” career solution, but as my therapists likes to say, maybe structuring your world to fit you (as opposed to structuring myself to fit the world, which hasn’t worked to well) isn’t such a bad thing? Hope this may help?
Matt

RadioHead

07 Jun 2005, 7:59 pm

Thanks for sharing that. That really helped. I wish you all the best. I've been wanting to know if there are any Aspie journalists.