Are there any "black" Aspies here?(No racial jokes

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 12:33 am

Dragonlord wrote:
There is a theory going around called the Neanderthal Theory, and states that ASD's might actually come from Neanderthals. The Neanderthal Genome Project has confirmed that their genes are 99.8% similar and that they could actually be just another race of homosapians. (With visual difference like Africans, Caucasians, Asians, and Polynesians etc) Neanderthals and similar species are thought to have breed with homosapians migrating from Africa. A sample group of Americans tested show that the most common with AS are whites/middle eastern, then Asian and North American and finally last African. The question they don't know is if it exists in pure African and if so on what scale.

Dragon

When did they do this research on the genome project? I've heard about this theory but I kind of thought it had been abandoned my most people, hadn't heard anything in a few years.

It's interesting because red hair comes from the mutated gene that was introduced to the population by Neandrethals, and red hair is more common in people with autism and ADHD, we have a few flamers in my family and I'm auburn. The same gene is theorized to be at least partially responsible for ADHD and autism.

Neanderthals were actually thought to be smarter than modern homosapiens in many ways but are assumed to have met an evolutionary dead end because of their difficulty with communication.

nintendogurl1990
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Sep 2010, 8:00 am

I'm black and I don't listen to that much of today's rap. I prefer old school hip-hop, 80's pop and rock, and gospel. I like Nintendo video games, writing short stories, and drawing. And I was diagnosed with high-functing autism/Aspergers at around 3 or 4 years of age.

Dnex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2010, 9:05 am

I'm black and love Hip-Hop ("gangsta" rap is just entertainment to me)
I speak in slang on occasion
And no one has really accused me of acting too white.

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2010, 9:53 am

I use to listen to hip/hop rap music, but I got annoyed with the cursing and the messages of sex, violence, and drugs that they always put in their songs. Right now I listen to a variety of music, but techno is my favorite. I don't speak slang that much, and most of my friends at my school are white. I do get along with a lot of Black NTs at my church and school, but I barely get to talk to them. I just say hi and we both go our usual business. Nobody except my parents complained that I was acting white though :roll: .

supra_chiasma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2011, 8:55 am

I am black, and i dont listen to rap.

Mxzysptlik
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2012, 11:41 pm

I know this is an old post but I'll respond anyways. In high school I started listening to Bob Dylan and Jazz, Duke Ellington is my favorite btw. Now I listen to Romantic and Classical piano and that's about it for now. I've never found rap or modern R&B worth listening to. But I think most modern music is like candy nowadays no matter the race of the artist. I don't really think of Rap as anymore degrading than Country music or punk rock is for white people. It's all just a fad and is all stupid music IMO anyways...

Mxzysptlik
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2012, 11:46 pm

[quote="Dragonlord"]There is a theory going around called the Neanderthal Theory, and states that ASD's might actually come from Neanderthals. The Neanderthal Genome Project has confirmed that their genes are 99.8% similar and that they could actually be just another race of homosapians. (With visual difference like Africans, Caucasians, Asians, and Polynesians etc) Neanderthals and similar species are thought to have breed with homosapians migrating from Africa. A sample group of Americans tested show that the most common with AS are whites/middle eastern, then Asian and North American and finally last African. The question they don't know is if it exists in pure African and if so on what scale.

I doubt that is true...sounds like more "genetics" bs. I'm pretty freaking black and I have it. It comes from my grandmother who is very black. Thing is none of us are diagnosed with, except me, but I'm the only one to make the transition to the "white world". I have two nieces that might have it and we're very black. When I read something about genetics and race I've realized that it's only an excuse to say that blacks are some how "different" than others which is not true. This is usually pushed my Europeans I've found. But who knows, maybe it is true or maybe not...from what I've read...probably not.

Mxzysptlik
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2012, 11:54 pm

MotownDangerPants wrote:
Dragonlord wrote:
There is a theory going around called the Neanderthal Theory, and states that ASD's might actually come from Neanderthals. The Neanderthal Genome Project has confirmed that their genes are 99.8% similar and that they could actually be just another race of homosapians. (With visual difference like Africans, Caucasians, Asians, and Polynesians etc) Neanderthals and similar species are thought to have breed with homosapians migrating from Africa. A sample group of Americans tested show that the most common with AS are whites/middle eastern, then Asian and North American and finally last African. The question they don't know is if it exists in pure African and if so on what scale.

Dragon

When did they do this research on the genome project? I've heard about this theory but I kind of thought it had been abandoned my most people, hadn't heard anything in a few years.

It's interesting because red hair comes from the mutated gene that was introduced to the population by Neandrethals, and red hair is more common in people with autism and ADHD, we have a few flamers in my family and I'm auburn. The same gene is theorized to be at least partially responsible for ADHD and autism.

Neanderthals were actually thought to be smarter than modern homosapiens in many ways but are assumed to have met an evolutionary dead end because of their difficulty with communication.

I'm a black aspie in college and I took a biology class where neanderthals were discussed. I've also read many articles about them. Anyways, from what my white professors told me Neanderthals lacked symbolic thought. Meaning, that they could not reason with the world the way that humans could. It could be possible that aspies lack symbolic thought but considering our interest in music and art it is unlikely. Also from what I've heard neanderthals would essentially repeat the same task over and over again. Re-inventing the wheel so to speak. But these theories will persist I suppose.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 1:16 am

Chimchar wrote:
For those of you aspies who are african american, (I'm sure there's not that many.) Do you listen to rap/hip-hop? I hate "gangsta" rap. I feel that it is degrading the african american name. Do you guys like rock? Do you guys speak the "ghetto" lingo like your everyday NTs? Have you ever been insulted by your peers because you aren't 'black' enough?

It sort of annoys me to hear everyone around me whine about me being too white.

I'm just curious, I don't mean to insult anyone.

* I'm answering this as an African-American without any labels.

I love ALL genres of music from country to classic.

Do you listen to rap/hip-hop?
Yes. I love the old school rap i.e Run DMC. Biz Markie, Salt N Pepa, Public Enemy, Ja Rule, Digital Underground, Tupac, Biggie, Monie Love, Nina Cherry. etc.

Do you guys like rock ? I love Rock.

Do you guys speak the "ghetto" lingo like your everyday NTs?
I can BUT i don't. I use my own voice which is a reflection of my upbringing.

Have you ever been insulted by your peers because you aren't 'black' enough? These are the phrases i have heard all my life from Blacks. "You are different." "Where were you born?" Are you from here ?" "You think like a white man. " "You act like ........" Others have made the following statements: "You are different." "Where were you born?" Are you from here ?"

I knew what they were implying so it did not bother me.

I have to say this, in school i got chosen to do more things than the other Black kids. IF they needed a kid to be in a picture i was chosen. I was one of the first black school patrols at my elementary school. At different times in my life, I have been in one local newspaper, one major newspaper, and I'm in a relevant published book.

I'm an older guy so things of that nature do not bother me as much.

TheSunAlsoRises

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2012, 11:16 am

I'm African-American/Black.

I may or may NOT have AS/ASD.

I relate MORE to AS/ASD and have realized that there was something different about me from others since before I moved to the suburbs - which was about the age of 5.

As a kid I was often mistreated by other Blacks for "talking white" and other BS. The ironic thing is that this didn't occur until I had moved to the suburbs. When I lived in the city, nobody ever pointed out anything like that - not at school or in our neighborhood.

When I started my new school, the other Black kids hated on me because I could...like...READ, and...y'know...WRITE...several grade levels ABOVE where I was at that time - which was FIRST GRADE. I didn't have the coordination for sports - and looking back, had no concept of the NEED for playing sports.

I remember in third grade this one white kid (whose name I still remember) told me that I was better than the other black kids at school BECAUSE of the fact that I could read and write and didn't speak slang. Over time, I learned to "speak the language" and function in both worlds the best I could.

I do listen to rap - ALL of it! But I also like current R&B/neo-soul, old disco, old-school funk, 60s/70s soul, classic rock, some jazz, house, acid jazz (think Jamiroquai), and gospel (traditional choirs).

DJ Quik has been often criticized as objectifying women, but DUDE is a musical GENIUS!

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

Last edited by Surreal on 28 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 11:26 am

Mxzysptlik wrote:
MotownDangerPants wrote:
Dragonlord wrote:

Dragon

I'm a black aspie in college and I took a biology class where neanderthals were discussed. I've also read many articles about them. Anyways, from what my white professors told me Neanderthals lacked symbolic thought. Meaning, that they could not reason with the world the way that humans could. It could be possible that aspies lack symbolic thought but considering our interest in music and art it is unlikely. Also from what I've heard neanderthals would essentially repeat the same task over and over again. Re-inventing the wheel so to speak. But these theories will persist I suppose.

I would say that Aspies lack symbolic thought to some degree, more so when it comes to TOM. I myself am not an Aspie and have a hard time 'connecting the dots" and making inferences from other people, but I can do it with music, literature, TV, etc.

Also, it isn't like Aspies are going to be "New Age" Neanderthals, no offense to you but people who oppose Neanderthal Theory act like Aspies e supposed to be closer to being a Neanderthal than an NT, which is insane. Although with very low functioning Autistics without speech, it doesn't seem like such a stretch.

Autistics would be homo sapiens with a TINY smidgeon on Neanderthal, and the repetitive behaviors really make sense.

Neanderthals walked right up to the animals and got mauled for thousands of years, then Homo Sapien came (who had a smaller brain) and made projectile tools.

I'm not that stupid, but I do lack some common sense in that way.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 11:30 am

ROFLMAO! Marty, that was TOO funny!
And certainly, that is a European Asp. Or Adder, whatever..

Matt

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 11:36 am

oops

HDTV...

Whatever.

Last edited by EXPECIALLY on 28 Feb 2012, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 11:36 am

Also concerning symbolic thought, it's common for low-functioning autistic children to not recognize an object when you show them a picture of it, even if they know it very well.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 11:37 am

Well I'm mostly white with some native american...so I don't fit the description. But listen to whatever you want and be yourself, why should the color of your skin determine what you should like and how you should be? The people who give you crap for being too 'white' are probably just jealous you're not afraid to be yourself and don't limit yourself to supposed 'black' intrests.

That said rock music was largely influenced by black blues artists....so I fail to see how rock would be white music anyways.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 11:58 am

I'm half black and don't listen to rap music or talk ghetto.