Do you get along with other autistic people?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 12:36 am

League_Girl wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
I only know one person with it (AS) and I get along with him as well as I do any of the other kids. He's a friend of my kids and I still call him a kid because I've known him since he was about 14 or so, and he's still a kid even though he's about 25, married for a few years, and trying for a baby lol.

Was that the one who asked you when you were diagnosed and you weren't at the time?

Yep. He had asked me how I managed to deal with it. I had never heard of it, and was doing something when he asked and thought he said "Aspen" and was talking about skiing! He explained it from there and I did research.

I don't see him or his wife that often anymore, since they got married and moved way out. They are trying for a baby and I wish them luck.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

RR
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Mar 2012, 12:47 am

Yes, but it is a struggle. I read a book recently, and it said to not use the word but, use the word and or because. Because, when you do that, you add to the conversation.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 3:23 am

It's down to the person, usually. If they're as*holes, they're as*holes. Aspie or not.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 4:50 am

*cough WrongPlanet cough*

I do get along with some other people on the spectrum. It's just I can relate better to them and they speak about things that interest me. Those who do not speak about what interest me or stimulate me with interesting conversation, however, we're not going to get along. I'll just be bored out of my skull.

I should also mention I have a younger brother whom is on the spectrum and we get along well. But I also have a the second youngest [second oldest to our youngest sibling] whom suffers from a mood disorder as well as being on the spectrum, which makes him unbearable. We rarely get along, but we do have our moments of sibling bonding. For me, however, it is easier to accept what they say because they are my siblings.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 5:46 am

Don't know any.

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 8:56 am

I get along with men that are Autistic or have Asperger's, but I don't really get along well with women.

I haven't met any girl with AS that I get along with mainly because they've been selfish, or lazy, and the only ones (three) I have met were in the workplace. I found that working with people who can't manage themselves, having a lot of responsibility, and working with thirty to eighty plus dogs running around is not a good combination. Contrary to the popular belief, most Aspies are not Temple Grandins. :(

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 10:09 am

AnnettaMarie wrote:
I get along with men that are Autistic or have Asperger's, but I don't really get along well with women.

I haven't met any girl with AS that I get along with mainly because they've been selfish, or lazy, and the only ones (three) I have met were in the workplace. I found that working with people who can't manage themselves, having a lot of responsibility, and working with thirty to eighty plus dogs running around is not a good combination. Contrary to the popular belief, most Aspies are not Temple Grandins. :(

You sound like me.

Pretty sure one of my ex boyfriends is on the spectrum or VERY close, and his best friend even more so than him.

I felt stronger bonds with them than with any other people I've ever known. I can do the phony thing well enough with other women and with (some) I don't even have to but it's extremely rare.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 11:29 am

I get along with most aspies really well. There are exeptions, of course.

AngryDesiDoughboy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2012, 12:13 pm

It depends largely on whether or not they are an Aspergian + or -. In other words, are they down or hyperfocused on their autism or are they just trying to be a person who has autism and is working on it? Also, if the other person is aware of themselves it makes it easier to communicate.

rainbowlolly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

It's 50/50 with me; My Other Half has AS like me, so I guess it makes things more interesting and we can understand each other better in SOME ways. The rest of the time it gets frustating.

To me it overall depends on similar interests etc... More that anyway, than whether or not they have AS/Autism.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 5:49 pm

Only if they have simaliar intrests.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 8:12 pm

Only person I can think of is someone who was always in the same class as me growing up. I forget whether he was HFA or Asperger's, but the two are so similar I don't think it really matters. Even though we were very shy, we got along pretty well. There were times when we would annoy each other - for example with repetitive things - but generally we got along very well. Other than that I've not spent much time with other people on the spectrum.

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2012, 9:20 pm

I find people with aspergers dificult to get on with. they talk on and on and dont listen.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 8:12 am

I don't know any grown people on the spectrum, but I have had students who are definitely autistic and they've always really liked me. I find I get along best with artsy, introverted NTs.

BruceCM
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 8:23 am

Mostly, I get on about as well with Aspies/ Auties as anybody else, which is to say, not exactly well! My only friend isn't but most of the people I know online are & that's my main socializing now. There's a few with whom I get on better than the rest & it being online makes it all much easier than offline. Not that I know many Aspies/ Auties offline, due to not getting on at a local 'support' group. There's one Aspie that used to watch films with me sometimes & a few here that exchanged some emails but those stopped doing so, don't know why.

www.zomgreloaded.com

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 9:00 am

It depends on the person.

Some people with ASD or ADHD I get along with, others I don't get along with because they don't get along with me or my autism.

Some autistic people are bullies, some are overly concerned about all people's well-being and most others are somewhere in-between.

Kids are pretty much all fine though. They're not as expecting about what they want the world and all of the people to look like. They generally accept, appreciate and get curious about adults who are different to the average adult.