Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How would you rate your clean and tidiness?
Surgically sterile 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Good enough for company 15%  15%  [ 22 ]
Has that "lived in" look. 27%  27%  [ 39 ]
Piles of stuff on every flat surface. 52%  52%  [ 76 ]
Total votes : 146

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 2:26 pm

Do you keep a clean spotless living environment, or do you have piles of stuff everywhere, or somewhere in between? Me? I'm pretty cluttered, and my wife is a tidy person; I drive her nuts.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm

It varies. When I'm focusing on special interests my living space can become disastrously untidy. But when I decide to clean, I apply the same amount of focus.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 75 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 2:32 pm

I am clean and tidy. One of my sameness requirements is that eberry object that is regularly in my room must be kept in its one true coordinates, eggsept when I am using it. I also have a cleaning routine, one-weekly or two-weekly, that keeps eberrything clean and tidy.

Rauhiss
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2012, 2:40 pm

Papers and markers everywhere.
But if things are put away and I can't see where they are, it takes me months to find them.
When they're nice and spread out across every surface in my room, I can see at a glance what's where.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

If I do not obsessively clean, it spirals out of control. There isn't much middle ground; either very messy or very perfect. Not much middle ground.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 3:01 pm

My place has that lived in look.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 3:05 pm

I would consider myself a clean and tidy person.

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2012, 3:15 pm

I'm pretty messy. I prefer that 'lived in' look myself. I hate it when a place is too dirty or too clean. It's creepy.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 3:18 pm

I didn't answer the poll question, because I wasn't sure which one fits me best.

When I'm at work, I am obsessive about keeping the desk area tidy. Everything have to be in just the right place, and everything should be straight. I usually spend the first 5 minutes of my shift tidying up after the person who worked before me.

At home, in nearly all areas of the house, I'm the same way. I always clean up after myself, and always put things back just as they were.

Then, there's my room. 8O

You know that expression "it looks like a bomb went off in here?" That expression was invented to describe my bedroom. For whatever reason, I have the hardest time keeping my room clean. There's always stuff laying around everywhere! I have probably 15 empty soda cans in there right now, clean clothes piled on the floor and at the foot of my bed, mail on the floor or spread out across my desk, etc.

I think the problem is that I'm a bit of a hoarder, and I have way too much stuff to fit in my room, and a lot of that stuff doesn't have a particular 'place', like the things in the rest of my house do, so I get stressed out and overloaded thinking of where I should put something, so I just toss it on the floor. When it gets to the point where I can't safely navigate from the door to my bed, I'll clean; and when I clean, it's SERIOUS. I spend hours sorting, organizing and throwing away. When I start sorting, I'll often discover something I haven't seen in a while, and I'll get distracted away from cleaning. Sometimes I'll decide to re-organize my Blu-ray shelf, which is probably the lowest priority to getting my room in living condition. It's definitely a full day event. Unfortunately, the longest I maintain the resulting super cleanliness is around two weeks. Birthdays and Christmas make this worse, because I get new things and don't know where to put them. :?

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

WildMan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2012, 3:19 pm

Good to see I'm not alone. Left to my own devices I'll make a crust punk squat look like Martha Stewart Living.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 3:25 pm

fragileclover wrote:
I didn't answer the poll question, because I wasn't sure which one fits me best.

When I'm at work, I am obsessive about keeping the desk area tidy. Everything have to be in just the right place, and everything should be straight. I usually spend the first 5 minutes of my shift tidying up after the person who worked before me.

At home, in nearly all areas of the house, I'm the same way. I always clean up after myself, and always put things back just as they were.

You know that expression "it looks like a bomb went off in here?" That expression was invented to describe my bedroom. For whatever reason, I have the hardest time keeping my room clean. There's always stuff laying around everywhere! I have probably 15 empty soda cans in there right now, clean clothes piled on the floor and at the foot of my bed, mail on the floor or spread out across my desk, etc.

I think the problem is that I'm a bit of a hoarder, and I have way too much stuff to fit in my room, and a lot of that stuff doesn't have a particular 'place', like the things in the rest of my house do, so I get stressed out and overloaded thinking of where I should put something, so I just toss it on the floor. When it gets to the point where I can't safely navigate from the door to my bed, I'll clean; and when I clean, it's SERIOUS. I spend hours sorting, organizing and throwing away. When I start sorting, I'll often discover something I haven't seen in a while, and I'll get distracted away from cleaning. Sometimes I'll decide to re-organize my Blu-ray shelf, which is probably the lowest priority to getting my room in living condition. It's definitely a full day event. Unfortunately, the longest I maintain the resulting super cleanliness is around two weeks. Birthdays and Christmas make this worse, because I get new things and don't know where to put them. :?

I think your post qualifies you for the piles vote, in my opinion. It's what you do most of the time that best defines you.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 3:25 pm

I am a clutterer, so every shelf and drawer in my room is filled with stuff. I think I'm a borderline hoarder. I've got a lot of videos on my shelves even though I have brought the DVDs of the same films, but I don't like to throw away the videos because I feel sorry for the people who have brought me the videos in the past. Plus I feel sorry for the videos.

I'm not as messy as some people though, but I'm not as tidy as some people either.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 3:57 pm

Aharon wrote:
fragileclover wrote:

I think your post qualifies you for the piles vote, in my opinion. It's what you do most of the time that best defines you.

But, outside of my room, I'm obsessively neat; and I do mean OBSESSIVE. I can't function in clutter, or when things are out of place. I think it's important to note that I'm rarely in my bedroom, not unless I'm sleeping. It's almost like it's a storage closet. I get mad at my stepbrother for leaving messes around the house all the time. I usually only eat with paper plates and plastic forks, because I can't stand for there to be spots on dishes. I go around the house straigthening knick-knacks. I think by nature I'm quite neat and organized, as messes and clutter completely distress me (that's why I don't spend time in my room).

In summary, when things have a place and I know where they are supposed to be, I am obsessive in making sure they are back where they belong. However, when it comes to my room and having to FIND places for things, I can't seem to do that, so things just end up on the floor. My books and Blu-rays, which have special shelves, are always organized.

So, I'm both surgically sterile and have piles of crap everywhere. :?

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 4:36 pm

It depends on the last time I cleaned up. Since my parents were always neurotic neat freaks, I learned to keep things somewhat tidy, but I never keep things tidier than they have to be, because that would make me like them or something. I just want to make sure I know where everything I need is located, not make it presentable for somebody else who probably won't care in the first place.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 4:46 pm

It goes back and forth between lived in, and piles of papers all over. Every so often I hunt the messes down and kill them off into the garbage. Usually find a few unpaid bills when i do. :oops: I really don't like a kitchen to be messy; that is kept clean and tidy. Over the past few years I've gotten rid of piles of junk that I was hanging on to for no good reason. So the place is much easier to live in now.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 4:50 pm

idlewild wrote:
It varies. When I'm focusing on special interests my living space can become disastrously untidy. But when I decide to clean, I apply the same amount of focus.

Same here.