Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you obsessive/have obsessive tendencies?
Yes. 97%  97%  [ 31 ]
No. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2012, 4:16 pm

I've got a very obsessive personality, which my family says is a symptom of AS. I get obsessed with things very easily and need to drown myself in my obsessions to remain content.

But it's gotten me problems. Namely, with my sister.

I was in the car with her and I mentioned something about my most recent obsession (a movie) and my sister decided now was the right time to instead of say, "Can we please not talk about this," say, "Okay just don't. You're being really, really weird and just plain creepy!" She then goes on to tell me how my obsession is creepy (again, it's a movie, not any kind of weird stuff like hoarding insects or whatever).

She calls me a band-wagon hopper, and says that I never shut up about anything that I even remotely like. It really offended me and actually, more than anything, embarrassed me. Just this horrible, embarrassed feeling shot through me and still isn't gone. After I heard this I just turned on my music and turned over to the window (we were in the car). She just says to me, "Yeah, just go and mope in the corner." Gee thanks that's really helpful.

What can I do? She is the least understanding neurotypical I know and she's my damn big sister!

And does anyone else get this way? Like, obsessive over something?

WarrenWannabe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2012, 4:23 pm

She's being a jackass. I'd tell her that. I don't know anything about the relationship you have with your sister, but if it's always like that, she's bullying you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm

WarrenWannabe wrote:
She's being a jackass. I'd tell her that. I don't know anything about the relationship you have with your sister, but if it's always like that, she's bullying you.

yes true......but yeah I know sometimes siblings can get on each others nerves and say things they probably shouldn't. I mean me and my sister have had arguments like that though I don't think she would persist in calling me creepy for having an obsession with a movie...but sometimes she can be kinda b*tchy but to be fair she's got a lot of stress and gets irritated kinda easily so I can't expect her to be perfect.

But yeah if your sister is always being like that towards you, then it is bullying in my opinion.....though I am not sure of a solution other then maybe avoiding her more and hanging out with people who don't bring you down or confronting her about it, but I am not sure what sort of family you have so I don't know if other family members are more supportive or not.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 4:38 pm

Your sister sounds like she's kind of a dick.

I think this is what happens. People will, out of a desire to be polite, allow us to keep talking about something past the point where they get bored. They assume that we will stop soon enough. When we don't, they steadily get more and more irritated. Eventually they snap and say something rude or sometimes outright cruel. Which could have been avoided if they'd just asked us to change the subject earlier.

This is why I usually just keep my interests to myself.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 4:54 pm

I get the exact same problem. Unfortunately, it's obvious she doesn't understand at all. Don't let it stop you from talking about your obsession to other people though.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 5:02 pm

I get a lot of flak from my family for almost the same reasons.

For example whenever I go help with a non-profit, my sister says to me, "Are you trying to be a superhero or something?" and anything along those lines. My mom on the other hand, thinks of herself as God, and tells me how volunteering is a sign of sinful behavior.

This is why I don't tell my family where I'm going, if I go somewhere.

Wobbuffet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2012, 5:13 pm

Sometime I kinda get the feeling I might be being irritating by "going on" about stuff, but I can never really tell...and it's not as though I really have anything to talk about, so I'm stuck thinking if silence might be better.

I think I was doing it about TMNT comics earlier, so I stopped...but I dunno.

@Koi...what's the movie?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 5:20 pm

My parents were like that towards me. They did that to me enough times that I've stopped talking to them about my special interests cold turkey when I was 10 going on 11. They wonder why I haven't really talked to them in 26 years. I also got that sort of flack when I was spending that horrible week at my parents home. My mum attacked me on account of my special interest and said, "This is the worse that I've ever seen you. This is all you've done since you got here. If this keeps up, I'm going to put you in the hospital. You have a one track mind!" I've ended up going back home two days before my mum planned, because I didn't feel welcome at her place. I didn't feel accepted, so I went back to my apartment. That was also the morning that I've confessed to her that Mick Avory is my favourite Kink and he always has been my favourite. I didn't talk to myself at all after that, because I told my mum what I've been holding in since 1998. She's somewhat changed her tune when an ex friend of mine shoved me into an ambulance for having The Kinks as my special interest. I didn't get much support when Pete Quaife passed away but knowing my mum, that was expected. I will also expect that when Mick Avory passes away if my mum is still alive and doesn't die of a heart attack due to her temper.

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2012, 5:25 pm

Wobbuffet wrote:
Sometime I kinda get the feeling I might be being irritating by "going on" about stuff, but I can never really tell...and it's not as though I really have anything to talk about, so I'm stuck thinking if silence might be better.

I think I was doing it about TMNT comics earlier, so I stopped...but I dunno.

@Koi...what's the movie?

I actually told my sister that I don't know when it's "too much". I don't feel as though I've talked about it at all.

And eeeek... I really wanna say what it is but she's made me feel so embarrassed about it. And other people too. Let's just say it's a new movie that people seem to either love or hate.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

The obsessions I've had during my life:
Age 3-present: Drawing cartoons
Age 6-13: Arcade games, esp. Pac-Man
Age 9-20: Garfield the Cat (I was bullied in school a lot because of this)
Age 15-20: Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Age 12-18: Nintendo, esp, Super Mario
Age 20-23: Sonic the Hedgehog
Age 18-27: Disney cartoons, Troll dolls
Age 27: Harvest Moon for Sony Playstation
Age 28-35: Nintendo, especially Super Mario (again)
Age 35-present: Neopets, Youtube
Age 37-present: The Sims 2 and 3 for PC.

My obsessions sometimes die down, but that doesn't mean I don't like them any more. And sometimes they make a comeback.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Mar 2012, 5:20 pm

Of course. but i dont care if they tease me about it

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 8:54 pm

Yes, but I don't get teased about it. My special interests aren't that "weird" and I tend not to go on about them too much with people I don't know, especially if they don't seem interested. The only time someone bugged me about it in real life was in grade 6. His locker was near mine and he said that he didn't like my favourite band (my special interest) under his breath when we were both at our lockers.

The other time was online. It was the site for my special interest and someone said that "children" obsessed with the band was scary, not cute. I was to naive at the time to realize that I had put some things on that site that I should have kept to myself.

My obsessions have been...........

(In lostonEarth's form, which I like):

Age 2-5: Winnie the Pooh

Age 6-7: School

Age 6 and half: Radio stations

Age 6 and 9 months: Stories of the house (basement, main floor, upstairs, attic, etc.)

Age 8-9: Planets

Age 8-11: Ferries

Age 9-10: Great Big Sea (band)

Age 10-11: Roller Coasters

Age 11-present: Great Big Sea (again)

Age 12-present: Jian Ghomeshi (radio host)

Age 14-15: The Outsiders

Age 15: Teacher at school, who I am not going to relieve the name of for his privacy

Age 15 and a half: Toy Story

Age 15-16: Public Transit

Age 15-present: Cats

Age 16-present: Genetics (I do not know if I would consider this a "true special interest" or not)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 1:31 am

Koi wrote:
And eeeek... I really wanna say what it is but she's made me feel so embarrassed about it. And other people too. Let's just say it's a new movie that people seem to either love or hate.

Is it Twilight?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:29 am

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 21 Apr 2012, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2012, 9:24 am

4 years ago I was vegan and I was very interested in it and people in my class imitated me in class and laughed with it

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2012, 9:48 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Koi wrote:

Is it Twilight?

Bwuh, no > < Eh I'll just tell you.

It's The Lorax, the animated film adaption of the Dr. Seuss book?

And I suppose I'll put a list of my obsessions too, but they don't go yearly. They switch on and off and some with last months while others last years. So here's just a plain old list of what I have obsessed over in the past, in no particular order. * = Reoccuring.
- Cats (musical) *
- Banjo Kazooie (mostly Tooie) *
- I, Robot
- Harry Potter movies (and Daniel Radcliffe)
- Naruto *
- Neopets
- Pokemon *
- Whose Line Is It Anyway
- Conjoined Twins & Deformities *
- Glee

And currently, The Lorax, Homestuck, and Ratchet & Clank*.

There are definitely more, but I get obsessions so easily.