Will your family line die off and disappear forever?

Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

sweetcupcake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

I've always wanted to be a mother since I was little. But I know the reality of my situation means i'm highly unlikely to ever get married or have kids. :?

layla87
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2012, 2:37 pm

NO.

Even though my family doesn't breed like rabbits, I'm the only aspie. With 5 NT sisters, one is bound to have a child sooner or later

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 3:22 pm

My sister has two kids (which must be adults by now), but the family name will die with me. All my cousins on my father's side of the family are women, and my father's parents had high hopes that I'd carry on the family name some day. No idea why that mattered to them. Personally, I hate my surname and would have happily adopted my hypothetical wife's name if I lived in a time when male aspies still had a chance to get married and found a family. But since I live in the 21st century, I'll die alone and childless. Which is better for the gene pool anyway.

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2012, 7:23 pm

Mindslave wrote:
I've never really taken the whole "family blood line" thing seriously. As if behavior is mostly genetic. It sounds like an ego thing. "Oh, but now I'll live forever, ahahaha!!" My sperm is just like everyone elses. It impregnates women and makes them convulse 9 months later. What's so special about my blood line compared to all of yours?

You have an appropriate name.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 7:54 pm

I think people like the idea of their bloodline surviving because they like the idea of passing their way of life on to someone else, and that someone else living on after them.

It's just my guess, really; I don't get that sort of desire with other people, but I do want to pass on ideas to others. In a way, my ideas are the "children" I want to pass on to last after I'm gone.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 9:07 pm

I have no idea whether my family line will go on. At the same time, though, I don't care at all. All of our family lines are bound to die off at some point.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 10:02 pm

My wife and I cannot have children. The only other male in my line from my father's father is a cousin with a genetic disorder, it's unlikely he'll have kids either. Our name will pass away, at least from this little branch of the tree.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

New-Yorker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm

Let's clarify it. Is this whole thread based on a premise that people with ASD are always barred from having kids? I'm not sure if that's accurate. If so, it's just another reason to avoid diagnosis and continue giving myself a benefit of doubt that I'm a normal persosn.

RR
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Apr 2012, 12:02 am

Hell no, I won't go!

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 12:07 am

Perhaps. I'm leaning towards asexual but might adopt some kids single someday.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Apr 2012, 3:36 am

Possibly but who knows what the future holds. Honestly if I ever wanted kids, I'd probably adopt.

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2012, 3:48 am

Jacoby wrote:
Possibly but who knows what the future holds. Honestly if I ever wanted kids, I'd probably adopt.

That's what happened to me.

No idea where the rest of my dna is, I came from a closed adoption. Records white'd out. No information other than a picture or two.

So... it's my choice entirely.

I take comfort in the fact that I CAN infact kill my depression. By not passing it on.

It will most likely die with me.
I can adopt and pass on the good things I know in ways other than genetics!
Genetics are a small part of how a kid turns out. :)

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2012, 4:05 am

I don't want to have my own children, maybe adopt, but I don't want to have them myself. My sister can't have her own children because of antiphospholipid syndrome, and my older brother also can't have kids, but my younger brother will probably have children. So will my cousins. So 4 out of 7 will still have children. :)

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 5:14 am

Aspergers and autistic features are very inheritable.

Aspies and baps throughout history must have been successfully procreating for you to be here today.

The only scary thing is if the rates of diagnosis improve and aspies choose to avoid having children, then perhaps these genes will start to become extinguished.

Jason

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 6:13 am

i've too many relatives who want kids for that to happen though i myself want none. my family is really really big. there is pressure on me to have kids though and relatives make it a point to talk about how important it is to marry and have kids(in that order). i come off as asexual and they think it is unnatural. they should give up. no grandkids, neices or nephews from me!

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 6:13 am

My sister is making up for my "failure" (one of her children has an ASD too).