Do aspies act hyper nor act there age?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

layla87
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2011, 10:56 am

I am the same way.

Actually whenever I'm told I'm being immature, I always think back to that blink 182 song What's my age again?"

....nobody like you when you're 23..." the lyrics say it all for me, cause I'm 23, going on 24 and most people think I'm 16-18, but I look young too so....

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 11:03 am

Nope.

I've always acted older than my age and been "hypo-active."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I thought that was typical in people with ADHD?

From what i've read, the difference between people with ADHD and Aspergers is that aspies can control themselves whilst those with adhd have uncontrolled behaviour and can't stand still.

I don't have that much control when it comes to not being able to sit or stand still.......for example I have this weird issue where I fidget with the pages of a book while reading and it is actually very hard to control especially when half the time I am not aware of it till someone points it out or get distracted and catch myself.

So yeah I don't feel I can control things like that so I don't know that, that is the accurate difference between AS and ADHD.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
AnotherKind wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I thought that was typical in people with ADHD?

From what i've read, the difference between people with ADHD and Aspergers is that aspies can control themselves whilst those with adhd have uncontrolled behaviour and can't stand still.

I don't have that much control when it comes to not being able to sit or stand still.......for example I have this weird issue where I fidget with the pages of a book while reading and it is actually very hard to control especially when half the time I am not aware of it till someone points it out or get distracted and catch myself.

So yeah I don't feel I can control things like that so I don't know that, that is the accurate difference between AS and ADHD.

i used to fidget with book's pages all the time as a child through my teen years. i stopped now. but i used to twist the page and rattle it and rustle it and i'd do it all the time. good to know i'm not alone, because i thought i was the only person ever who did that. i didn't completely ruin the pages but i did cause slight damage sometimes. i could do it for hours. i still like the play the the handkerchief and shake it through the air with the speed of light. i used to watch it slashing through the air for hours as a kid, i was almost addicted to it. yeah, we do strange things...

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 3:52 pm

AnotherKind wrote:

I would dispute this. I have ADHD. I have extraordinary self-control in some respects and in others I am plagued by the inability to control my impulses. It is not just one way or the other. And impulsivity can manifest in many ways other than physical movement.

I was never the classic hyperactive child, to the contrary I was abnormally well-behaved to the point where most people commented how well-behaved I was. Yet I continually angered adults because I could not stop myself from saying things I wasn't supposed to.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 4:34 pm

dianthus wrote:
I would dispute this. I have ADHD. I have extraordinary self-control in some respects and in others I am plagued by the inability to control my impulses. It is not just one way or the other. And impulsivity can manifest in many ways other than physical movement.

I was never the classic hyperactive child, to the contrary I was abnormally well-behaved to the point where most people commented how well-behaved I was. Yet I continually angered adults because I could not stop myself from saying things I wasn't supposed to.

Are you sure you have ADHD?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 4:51 pm

I used to be able to sit perfectly still for hours when I was a child. I remember when I was about 12 I sat really still in class for about 2 hours straight (the teacher was talking for all of that time), and I heard somebody say at last, ''she's been as still as a statue for this whole time!'' and I heard that which was then I turned round and smiled (they didn't mean it horribly).

But now I tend to fidget an awful lot.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 5:18 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
Are you sure you have ADHD?

I was diagnosed with it and yes it fits.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

18 Dec 2011, 5:38 pm

About immaturity: I was in a Rite Aid a couple hours ago making loud farting noises while jogging backwards through the aisles.

Last edited by SyphonFilter on 19 Dec 2011, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 8:59 pm

I am the polar opposite of hyper, but from what I read here it seems like a lot of other aspies are. I act my age or close to it.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:12 pm

dianthus wrote:
I was diagnosed with it and yes it fits.

Strange. I'm hyperactive many times. And only when i'm in a good mood.
When nobody is on the streets i like to run and i feel super happy.
It is possible to have ADHD and asperger in the same time?

Quarky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2012, 3:39 pm

My attention span is awful. It's like: OOh! A book! OOOH! ANOTHER book! OOOOOOHOHOHO! YET ANOTHER MARVELOUS BOOK FOR ME TO READ! I feel like I can't get enough information IN.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 6:19 pm

It's complicated.

I remember seeming childish amongst my peers.
Yet quite sensible with grow ups.

I feel young for my age now, but lots of NTs say they still feel young inside.

Jason

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

Sometimes, I act like a little kid. Or a teenager. Other times, I act like an old lady. But I never act my age.

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2012, 8:30 pm

When I get out of work I be feeling like this sometimes, I just walk to the Subway Station which takes about 20 minutes rather than take the bus which stops right in front of where I work.

When I lived in my old apartment (While in my late teenage years) I ran from my room to the Kitchen quite often.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 12:11 am

I dont act my age either im 29 but act like Im 17 funny thing is I look 20. So I guess it all evens out and I am very hyper at times especially late at night. When I am very happy I get hyper too.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList