Do some words/phrases make you cringe?

Page 7 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Apr 2012, 9:51 pm

2 birds, 1 stone

How is that even possable, I've searched and found no evidence it has even been done before

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 10:33 pm

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
"You don't mind, do you?"

How am I supposed to answer that?
- "Yes, I do."
- "Yes, I don't mind."
- "No, I do."
- "No, I don't mind."

Yes, that one irks me a little bit, too. I usually mentally translate it to "do you mind?", so I answer "yes" if I mind and "no" if I don't. But what irks me more than the semantics of the question is the meaning behind it - or lack thereof. Often when people ask this they don't care whether you mind or not, they just want to give themselves extra justification for a questionable action.

Bethie wrote:
Redundancies (ATM machine, PIN number, KFC chicken)

Nitpicking, I know, but "KFC chicken" is only redundant if it refers to the company "Kentucky Fried Chicken", not if it refers to the chicken sold by that company.

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
I also get annoyed by the phrase "under the sea" and the word "underground".
You're not under anything, you're in it! You're in the sea! You're in the ground! The only time you're actually under the ground/sea, is if gravity stopped working.

"underground" doesn't really bother me, because it's a word with its own meaning, distinct from the words from which it was formed, just like "redhead" does not refer to a head that is red. You have a point with "under the sea" - though it is technically possible to be under it if you're in the ground under the bottom of the sea. :)

riot_gun
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2012, 12:54 am

Any buzzword-y words or phrases that get repeated by a lot of people. Like when the whole recession was going down, people were always on about Main Street and Wall Street. It drove me crazy.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 1:06 am

Diabetus and Missoura

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2012, 8:38 am

The word "sense" makes me want to scream. I don't even like typing it or looking at it.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:46 am

scorpileo wrote:
things like 'dont take this the wrong way.. (cue insult)'

I actually like phrases like that. They enable you to predict what's coming.
"Not trying to be racist here, but those slaves should get back to their cotton fields."
"Not trying to sound mean, but you should wear a burqa as you're very ugly."

I don't like anything politicians say when they're on the losing side in a debate.
"We should take into account that [irrelevant to the question or debate], and also [cliché]."

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 2:26 pm

Two girls one cup

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Stuffedwithempty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2012, 2:28 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Like metaphors due to their literal meaning, a dislike of the sound of a word, or a bad experience with a word or phrase?

The phrase "lost your head" gives me the willies for a couple of reasons. First of all, the literal definition of it is a bit unsettling AND when I was younger, I used to joke about this person's head falling off and turning into a rock for some reason and now I feel like that was mean because person I was joking about was a real person.

Anyone else?

Not to sound blunt, but that joke would make a very good short story, I'd think. "When Metaphors come to life!"

Sorry sorry

Personally, I'm not sure words affect me, so much as questions. That usually asks for my opinion, something personal about me, or asks for my knowledge on a subject. And because I'm a very self-conscious person, I take it way out of context :scratch:

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 7:43 pm

ScientistOfSound wrote:
I hate the word "thick" when used to describe somebodies intelligence level
It irks me out for some reason

I don't like that one much either.

AspieAshley
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2012, 8:06 pm

Yesssss.
Just, only, let go, it depends, calm, relax, boundaries. The first three involve minimizing, the fourth one is a cheap, evasive answer to a question you just asked, the last three are used to control and go on a power trip against someone. OOOH...I'M GETTING MAD NOW!! !! !

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:40 pm

I dislike when people swear in work settings without caring if it offends other people. If the situation is extreme and the person has a good reason to swear that is ok, but to swear "just because" that is not ok. :!:

Niniel
Raven
Raven

05 Apr 2012, 4:18 am

When I was a child I hated the Norwegian word for sorry(Unnskyld). The other kids at school would tease me becuase I got upset when hearing the word and yell ''Unnskyld'' at me.

(I am from Norway btw)

DeXo
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2012, 6:15 am

Meat. I'm not a vegetarian nor do I hate meat or anything like that... I just don't like the sound of the word.

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 9:48 am

How can you say that?

It's easy I just did and would say it again. NTs are just so naive when it comes to reality.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2012, 10:03 am

Bethie wrote:
Redundancies (ATM machine, PIN number, KFC chicken)
Add to this: ppl hu tlk n txt tlk n ppl hu dnt no how 2 spell "ASPERGERS", WHEN THEY HAVE IT

Yeah...ESPECIALLY the redundancies :roll: I want to scream bloody murder when I hear them!

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 11:39 am

Soppy talk.

E.G

Husband: You're my snicker doodle pie!
Wife: You're my pooky bear!
Husband: I love you my beautiful darling!
Wife: I love my hubby!

If I ever actually hear that conversation in public, there will be bloodshed.