Is planning ONLY ok if you made the plans?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Is planning ONLY ok if you made the plans?
Yes, I like to make the plans 50%  50%  [ 16 ]
No, other people's plans are ok 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Sometimes yes, sometimes no 34%  34%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 32

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 3:42 pm

I have trouble deciding on plans, so I don't mind others making the plans and letting me decide if it is something I could do. If I agree and go, don't make changes to those plans as things could and do turn ugly. One time we agreed to go to a restaurant another member and i were looking forward to. Then another member decided she wanted sushi instead, so they suddenly switch plans to her whim without even consulting me and did not know soon enough so i could back out. As i can't eat sushi due to my food issues with ASD, i told them i couldn't order anything there. When told that was not an acceptable option, i broke into a nervous breakdown. And it did not help that they were trying to force feed me that. Went so bad that i never saw them again.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2012, 8:27 am

I like to make my own plans. I only like other people's plans if they're mostly what I would do anyway. Like others here, I have to know what's going on in advance. I really hate being dragged around, not knowing what's happening.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2012, 10:01 am

ghoti wrote:
As i can't eat sushi due to my food issues with ASD, i told them i couldn't order anything there. When told that was not an acceptable option, i broke into a nervous breakdown. And it did not help that they were trying to force feed me that. Went so bad that i never saw them again.

That's dreadful!! And to think THEY say WE have social problems!? :x

Ataraxis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2012, 4:12 pm

I have a problem with feeling like someone is telling me I have to do something when they make plans. I REALLY hate when someone tells me I have to do something, even if it's in my own best interests. I have to try really hard not to "cut off my nose to spite my face" as they say. I generally like making plans myself, but I'm ok with other people making plans as long as I am either included in the making of the plans, or am told as soon as the plans are made. Better yet, being told what the general plans will be BEFORE they are made is best. And as everyone else has said, don't make changes to plans unless it is completely unavoidable. And if that's the case, give as much warning as possible. When I'm going to be doing something new or something where I may be forced to enter into a social situation, I need a lot of mental 'pumping up' so to speak or else I get so terrified I'll refuse to do anything.

INTJ
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 4:51 pm

I prefer to make my own plans, but if it's a choice between someone else's plan (that they stick to) and being dragged around by someone with no idea what's going to happen next, I'll take someone else's plans any day.
Something that is important to me when making plans is to make sure I have plenty of time with no activities scheduled, as without this I can't relax, and to have a buffer zone of time between scheduled activities, as I am not good with transitions, and even if I really like the activities I'm doing, the difficulty of the transition can spoil it for me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 5:03 pm

I have problems like this with my mother. If I'm reading this right. Basically, by telling us the plans, we overthink the plans and get overwhelmed at them, if that makes any sense. I feel in my own life, I have to plan out everything I do in advance, and nothing seemingly "happens" and even a thing like, say, driving to the store, involves a bit of planning regarding what I'm gonna do, and of course, some deviance always happens in those plans.

So as far as planning, I guess that's sorta right, planning is only OK if you get control over the plans. I think the main thing, by getting told the plans, it's overwhelming as it's all stuff we have to take into account and add into the equation, if you will. I find it especially annoy how my mom will like, ask me questions like "So when we build an addition onto the house..." I think things like that are tough for me, as I tend to naturally think longterm, but real life makes me think short term, so I have to devote all my thought process to short term planning to get anything done in the short term, I have some long term plans, and I'd love to make more, but those longterm plans are very pointless if you cannot do what you need to do in the short term for that day. So for your sons, they might just get overwhelmed and feel like this: http://thecaptainsblogdotme.files.wordp ... -meme1.jpg when you go off and tell them a bunch of "long term" plans, as they're probably just so busy planning for short term, things you'd consider simple or without thought process, that they just get overwhelmed.

I don't know if what I'm writing is making sense at all, but yeah...

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 5:04 pm

I answered yes, if you mean putting something on the calendar to do, making appointments, planning get-togethers. But even my plans sometimes become problematic for me. I can be a lot braver and carefree when planning something that is out of the ordinary for me well in advance than I am when the date gets closer.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 5:05 pm

I don't care who makes the plans as long as I know exactly what will happen.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 5:44 pm

questor wrote:
. . . Due to sleep apnea and IBS I have a very irregular sleep/wake schedule, so it is very difficult to handle rigidly scheduled activities of any kind. I am usually too tired to go any where, and I suffer from usually only getting about 4-6 hours of sleep at a time, so I often have to go back to sleep after a meal and a bathroom break. My IBS keeps me in the bathroom a lot, so it is difficult to be ready by a specific time. . .
I think IBS is the kind of thing which benefits from having a doctor who is willing to tinker and try different things.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 5:49 pm

his_mom wrote:
. . . This forum (and everyone here) has helped me tremendously. I know that my son will also visit here from time to time since learning about WrongPlanet.

That's great, and also maybe a little dicey. :bball: I mean, won't your son find it a little embarrassing? Maybe you ask him, you might suspect who I am, but try not to ask me. ( ? ? ) And if he starts to post, maybe you could kind of do the same thing for him.

I know when I use a pen name, I write much freer and I think much better.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 5:58 pm

bnky wrote:
ghoti wrote:
As i can't eat sushi due to my food issues with ASD, i told them i couldn't order anything there. When told that was not an acceptable option, i broke into a nervous breakdown. And it did not help that they were trying to force feed me that. Went so bad that i never saw them again.

That's dreadful!! And to think THEY say WE have social problems!? :x

Here, Here, Very good point! :cheers:

In fact, it's been an aspect of personal growth for me to realize that quote 'normal' people can be just as blundering, clumsy, and seemingly unaware as I can be (and really, no such thing as 'normal' anyway and how boring the world would be if there was! :D )

And especially, sushi for crying out loud, that's specific enough, yeah, they really should ask in advance.

And then, for these supposed NTs (cough, cough) when someone has dietary issues. which can be anything from shell fish allergy to gluten sensitivity, to do anything other than graciously back off, wow that is a social blunder.

his_mom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 May 2012, 6:30 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
his_mom wrote:
. . . This forum (and everyone here) has helped me tremendously. I know that my son will also visit here from time to time since learning about WrongPlanet.

That's great, and also maybe a little dicey. :bball: I mean, won't your son find it a little embarrassing? Maybe you ask him, you might suspect who I am, but try not to ask me. ( ? ? ) And if he starts to post, maybe you could kind of do the same thing for him.

Actually, I have told him about all of my posts/threads here on WP.
He says that "finally after all of these years, he is relieved that someone is finally trying to understand what he is going through".

Funny you mentioned this because I actually thought that 1000 knives might have been him until I saw how many posts he had under his belt. Sure sounded like him though :chin:

his_mom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 May 2012, 6:37 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I have problems like this with my mother. If I'm reading this right. Basically, by telling us the plans, we overthink the plans and get overwhelmed at them, if that makes any sense. I feel in my own life, I have to plan out everything I do in advance, and nothing seemingly "happens" and even a thing like, say, driving to the store, involves a bit of planning regarding what I'm gonna do, and of course, some deviance always happens in those plans.

So as far as planning, I guess that's sorta right, planning is only OK if you get control over the plans. I think the main thing, by getting told the plans, it's overwhelming as it's all stuff we have to take into account and add into the equation, if you will. I find it especially annoy how my mom will like, ask me questions like "So when we build an addition onto the house..." I think things like that are tough for me, as I tend to naturally think longterm, but real life makes me think short term, so I have to devote all my thought process to short term planning to get anything done in the short term, I have some long term plans, and I'd love to make more, but those longterm plans are very pointless if you cannot do what you need to do in the short term for that day. So for your sons, they might just get overwhelmed and feel like this: http://thecaptainsblogdotme.files.wordp ... -meme1.jpg when you go off and tell them a bunch of "long term" plans, as they're probably just so busy planning for short term, things you'd consider simple or without thought process, that they just get overwhelmed.

I don't know if what I'm writing is making sense at all, but yeah...

Wow, this sounds exactly like my son!!

J4mes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2012, 3:48 am

I prefer to make the plans, though it can be tiring trying to organise disorganised people. I like having the control though and having things on my terms.

I don't mind following some other people's plans though if I know that they're a reliable person, I have a couple of very organised friends and I know that they always stick to their arrangements.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 4:01 am

I am rigid. I can make about 2 phone call appointments per year. Maybe less, some years. I can handle my mother visiting every summer, she's as predictable as I and we both have low thermostat settings. Grocery stores, malls and like are my idea of hell, especially. Luckily I don't have to set foot in one ever again. I just go to work and work. My room is a minute walk away. Thrillsville, eh.

EQ: 6.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 3:24 pm

his_mom wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
his_mom wrote:

Actually, I have told him about all of my posts/threads here on WP.
He says that "finally after all of these years, he is relieved that someone is finally trying to understand what he is going through".

Funny you mentioned this because I actually thought that 1000 knives might have been him until I saw how many posts he had under his belt. Sure sounded like him though :chin:

Well unlike your son, on vacations I tend to be out the entire time. Like I'll go back in the room at night. Like when my mom would go to Florida, I'd go out on my bicycle, and I'd go fishing off the bridge by myself. A few times I even rode my bike to a state park, paid the dollar pedestrian admission, and just went to a state park with my bike for the day. Then there was the pool and general resort area and beach, and if I wasn't fishing/etc, I'd be there swimming, and I hit it off relatively OK with the other people my age at the resort. Meanwhile, my 2 sisters who are both "NT" would stay in the hotel room watching television....

My mom says on vacation or when I'm out of state, I have significantly less social anxiety, and am in a better mood in general. Then when I get back to my home state, everything sucks again. I really think it could be my state, after viewing comments like this:
Quote:
I have lived in CT, AZ, VA, IL, and NJ and would have to say CT is the state of pricks and more depressed and angry people than I have ever run into. I don’t think I can go anywhere where someone doesn’t have an attitude problem. Better yet I moved back here to be close to my family six years ago and have hardly made many friends. I am outgoing but not overly, I don’t think anyones ever invited me over except for foreigners. Everyone keeps to themselves. They say you gotta make the step go out and find friends and I have but not a single person has come up to me. As for my job, this is the only reason I am here. I would gladly move anywhere else.

I am also a musician, and wouldn’t recommend anyone to try to make it big here.

I totally agree with your philosphy. Take care.

Quote:
ct. really sucks ass, i moved months ago becasue of no jobs, i went south, and i’m doing great, the epepole are nicer, got a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo for 850 a month plus a pool, find that in ct. for 850 a month, spend twice as much, in a yuppy comunity, where they judge you , don’t gives 2 s**t’s about you, this was the best descition i ever made, took me 3 weeks to get used to being around nice pepole down hear after liveing in a state full of starbuck drinkin, golf course yuppy stuck up judgmental, misrable pepole i ever lived with, f**k ct. and the pepole. hope it falls apart soon.

Quote:
Connecticut is the worst state in America. I grew up in NY, then moved to CT in my twenties, and that was the biggest mistake of my life. I first lived in southeast CT and thought I could enjoy going to the beach…what a bunch of pale, uptight people! Parents would not let their children play with other children who were sitting right next to them…they literally did not want other children touching their child’s one dollar sand toy! Then, I had the misfortune of moving to northeast CT…this is the most desolate area of the country. There is literally NOTHING to do there. The people are pompous for no apparent reason. Families there have a sense of entitlement which leads their kids to be the worst spoiled brats I have ever seen. I moved down south 10 years ago, and while it took some adjusting, I am happy here.