Touch sensory issues - what bugs you the MOST?

Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

rabidrabbit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2012, 7:12 pm

Other people touching me but mostly the cheap paper you get in paperbacks, it squeaks and scratches and makes your fingers feel dry and it drives me insane. Ebooks are the best invention evereverever. Ever... I used to prop my book up and try to use my forearms to keep me from having to touch the pages.

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2012, 11:49 pm

Being tickled.

And my sisters used to tickle me until I gagged. :cry:

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 12:04 am

cmoonbeam1 wrote:
Any garment that constricts or touches my neck (chokers, turtlenecks, anything with a high neckline at all. It has to be a relaxed v-neck or scoop neck.)

ACK! I completely forgot about this one! I HATE stuff touching my neck. I never wear turtlenecks -- even though I'm told they look good on me -- or necklaces or scarves (except when it's cold). I have had a couple of cowl-necked tops and that bugged me too, because it was touching my chin. And I'm constantly pulling on T-shirt necks whenever I feel them touching me. Oddly enough, I like being kissed on the neck. Go figure....:)

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 12:13 am

Any rough or tight fabric/clothing and tags
Any light, feathery touch or poking, especially on my head and especially if unexpected, it irritates the crap out of me!
Anything slimy; finger paint, wet mud, etc, but mainly if it gets on my hands.
Wet sand; world's biggest nuisance to get off!
Socks/pants/underwear that won't reach above my ankles/waist; sock shopping these days is very hard because the only thing stores ever sell are those "ankle socks" and they drive me nuts.
Dog fur; I can never touch a dog without immediately washing my hands afterwards because they feel so grimy and dirty; I can't even touch my own dog without doing that.
Public table tops/transport/computer keyboards; college is the worst, everything feels grimy and dirty, I spend most of my time between classes washing my hands.

There is one type of touch I actually enjoy; deep squeezing pressure, especially around my core. I love hugs (but only from people I know; strangers aren't allowed to touch me!)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 3:34 am

- (usually) southern NT women who feel compelled to touch and fondle my arm and shoulder 12 times while talking to me

-anything dirt or such stuck to the bottom of my bare feet

-partial wet feeling, such as doing the dishes. If I want to feel wet, I want to feel wet head to toe. Or at least not my hands and feet (and especially not with greasy wet dishes), thank you.

-slippery keys or device buttons that people touched after eating greasy foods. like, "nom nom nom, I ate really greasy food, now troubleshoot my technology"

-itchy tag (I even carry a seam ripper in my purse just in case it bothers me that much)

-being poked in the arm with a square pointy object (like a folder someone's nudging for you to take, for instance)

-styrofoam in any kind of sensory way

-jeans with tapered legs

-wet hair in the shower drain. I'll pick it out, fine, but I hate the texture. (Still better than wet hair crawling around your ankles in the tub/shower any day)

-hot sticky leather car seat or leather couch that I have to pull my thighs off of.

-when bugs touch down anywhere on my body

-when bf talks or breathes too closely to the back top of my head (he's 6' while I'm 5'2") so his breath moves my hair even slightly and DRIVES ME NUTS because it tickles! He usually realizes this and apologizes.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 4:57 am

this thread is pure torture 8O :evil:

my clothes and i are locked in an epic battle of attrition, i try to make ot comfortable to wear before i wear it out.

cotton, dry skin, singular hairs when falling asleep, i am besieged i feel.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2012, 1:00 pm

You guys are making me think of other things I'd forgotten:
Almost all the clothes my mother bought for me as a kid. Especially this one outfit that was a jumpsuit type thing. It was a skirt with over-the-shoulder straps and she always made me wear the same blouse with it and this blouse was cut really high on the sides while being longer in the front and back. So the sides always came untucked from the jumper and it drove me batty! All day I had to shove the sides of the blouse back in.
Hair caught in the shower or tub drain : NO, just NO. And if I remove it...I gag.
Hair on the bathroom floor...again, NO. I cannot even stand to look down at it let alone clean it up.
The kitchen sink drain strainer...horrible. Don't like to touch it.
When the back of the leg of my jeans gets stuck inside the back of my shoe...drives me nuts. I used to love bell-bottoms because they never got caught in my shoes. I wish they'd come back into style!
When my flip-flops become water logged I can't stand the sound and idea that water is squishing around inside something I have worn on my feet. I imagine that it's not only water but also foot sweat.
I had a lot of hang-ups as a kid...so many that I can't remember them all. I also have a cousin who when he was a baby would gag at the sight of his own feet. So this runs in my family.

EQ: 17
You are very likely an Aspie

sudowoodo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2012, 8:37 am

Carpet. You know those ads where people touch the carpet with their hands or feet? Ugh, just thinking about it makes me twitch.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:53 pm

Many of my problems with texture have to do with foods.

However, there was one neighbor kid from a ranch a few miles away when I was growing up who had really rough skin. I didn't like to look at it, much less touch it. I was in a lot of fights when I was growing up, but he's the only one I ever actually picked a fight with and it was entirely because of the roughness of his skin.

As for foods, if a food does not have the texture I expect for that food, I end up spitting it out just as fast as I can. A friend of mine made me a loaf of banana bread the other day because she knows how much I like it, but this banana bread is a bit undercooked and has a texture about half way between a dough and a bread. I took one bite and then spent the next minute or two spitting it out everwhere and washing out my mouth. It wasn't the taste, it was the texture.

For pasta, I can't eat it if it is too soft or too hard. When I went back to work on my PhD in the 1990s, I had two different roommates from North Viet Nam (that was half of the North Vietnamese at the entire university). The first had spent some time in France before coming here and was fairly continental. The second was pure Vietnamese. One evening he was fixing something with macaroni in it. I think he cooked that for something like 45 minutes. All I could do was sit there and wonder just how soft and mushy it was getting. Needless to say, when he offered to give me some of it, I declined.

Another thing is gristle and fat from meats. Just biting into either makes me want to spit everything out on the spot. I carefully trim things like steaks, ham, and chicken to remove anything that might have a different texture.

Anything slimy nearly always gives me issues. I like okra, but I cook it in a way that there is little or no slime to be a problem (flour, baking powder, salt, and water to create a batter and then drop nickel sized slices of okra into the batter, mix, and fry on a pancake griddle).

Most restaurants often severely overcook a good many vegetables. I'll eat black eyed peas and field peas that I cool myself, but rarely that which anyone else cooks.

I don't like most mashed potatoes. When I fix mashed potatoes, I only mix in butter, no milk, and that gives me a texture I can stand.

I can't stand most ham -- it's often too slimy. I prefer to buy a raw ham, cut it into really thin slices as I need them, trim off what I don't want, and then fry the slices in a pan.

Roast chicken and turkey is okay when freshly roasted, but as leftovers, I have to do something to recook the leftovers. In fact, for the most part, I avoid leftovers like the plague.

And no matter what I'm eating, or even if I'm not eating, it really bothers me when someone talks with their mouth full. When my mother was alive, I would refuse to even look in her direction when we were eating because she kept going on and on talking when her mouth was full.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:39 pm

light touch
humidity
polyester anything
cheap sweaters with fake acrylic "wool".
clothing tags
hats
fake leather (it sticks to sweaty skin)
wet clothes
cold rain
f*****g STYROFOAM, that stuff's evil

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 4:01 pm

Auditory:
Absolutely hate the sound of loud power tools or construction equipment. Not a fan of pyrotechnics as I found out when I went to Wrestlemania X8 in Toronto 10 years ago. Don't like having a TV too loud either.

Touch:
Need loose clothing, nothing tight. I like to be mobile in my clothing, not be limited in my movement. I find loose fitting jeans acceptable, but I much prefer shorts during warm weather.
Unexpected touches from friends when I am looking the other way. I usually don't do this to others for that reason.
The feel of sand in my shoes or socks.
Shoes can't be too tight or too loose.
Greasy foods on my hands. Pizza Hut is a good example of needing to wash my hands after eating.

Taste:
Coconut. Absolutely cannot stand the taste.
Apple Sauce. The texture of it bothers me.
Pasta that is too soft. My grandma used to overcook pasta because she could not handle eating anything less than mushy pasta in her old age. I could not stand eating this kind of pasta.

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2012, 6:07 pm

Hats....hated the feeling of woolen winter hats riding up on my head. If it was unbearably cold I would put my hood up and tie the string.
Handshakes....AACK. I have to wash my hands after shaking someone's hand. Even if I know them. Until I can get to a sink and wash, I will still feel the person's hand touching me and hate it.
Women's long fingernails to me are horrific and unsanitary. I have always kept mine really short and clean. I have a cousin who has really long daggers and she will just plunge her whole finger into dip with a chip...once that happens, I don't eat that dip for the rest of the party.

EQ: 17
You are very likely an Aspie

minotaurheadcheese
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2012, 6:37 pm

1) People touching anywhere on my body without permission, which includes basically everyone except my son, one friend, and any serious partner. I've conditioned myself to accept handshakes, but when people hug me or touch my shoulder or something, I can feel it for hours afterward. *shudder*

2) Rough surfaces like wood or anything dusty. I can't use wood pencils, only mechanical ones.

3) Most jewelry, like necklaces and bracelets. Oddly, I can pierce my own body no problem and wear piercing jewelry; the pain is far less bothersome than the itchy feeling of something hanging around my neck/arm.

4) Loose clothing. Many people probably have the opposite reaction about this one, but all of my clothing has to be closely tailored or tight and stretchy. If it hangs away from my body or moves around... I don't know, the sensation is hard to describe. Something like feeling exposed. Luckily, I am skilled at sewing and pattern drafting, so I can alter my clothes to fit properly, which I usually have to do because "normal" sizes are all too large for me :?

"And there are days when I would be away . . . Oh, wherever men of my sort used to go, long ago. Wandering on paths that other men have not seen. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain." -Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 8:15 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
I can't abide air blowing onto one spot of my skin, like from an air vent in a car. My skin feels raw.

I have the opposite problem when driving in my car. I require the interior vent fan to be on and set to at least the second setting (usually there are four settings in a car) and aimed at either my feet or my face or both. Without that I feel like the air is stagnant and itchy. Same reason I have trouble being in office buildings. Stagnant recirculated air. And flourescent lighting, but that's a whole different thing.