Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 8:13 pm

Yes I'm taking zoloft I was taking the 50g but my doctor put me on the 100g I feel so much better now and able to cope with things.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 1:42 am

I was on it for a couple months. It was actually my first SSRI. It was moderately helpful for anxiety and not effective whatsoever for depression. At 100mg it made me an agitated, irritable, nervous wreck. Increased suicidal ideation. Major drowsiness as well. I complained of these side effects to my GP and was switched to a different med on the spot.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 1:49 am

MrStewart wrote:
I was on it for a couple months. It was actually my first SSRI. It was moderately helpful for anxiety and not effective whatsoever for depression. At 100mg it made me an agitated, irritable, nervous wreck. Increased suicidal ideation. Major drowsiness as well. I complained of these side effects to my GP and was switched to a different med on the spot.

My experience of sertraline (and other SSRIs) was that they moderately helped my depression but made my anxiety much worse. It's funny how these things can affect people in such different ways.

Last edited by invisiblesilent on 14 Sep 2012, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 1:54 am

Indeed. All of the SSRI's I've tried have helped with anxiety to some degree. None made it worse.

alannow
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2012, 12:40 am

Has anyone had any memory issues with this? Are there any LONG-TERM users out there? Thanks!

Torchlight
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2012, 1:42 am

I take 150mg, but I also take 2 APs, so it's hard to tell what effects (positive and negative) are from which meds.

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 1:48 am

It was my first medicine, and i really disliked it, and i used it for quite a long time but it made me go really haywire and i actually don't remember much from that period :o

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2012, 2:02 am

I've been on it for four and a half years; I started at 100mg and I've been on many other doses, too (75mg, 50mg, 37mg, 25mg). I'm currently on 37mg (not an official dosage, but a pill and a half of 25mg), because once I got down to 25mg, it was just too low of a dose to really help me.

It helps with my depression, but even more than that, it helps me with OCD and anxiety. The main reasons I went on a lower dose were:

-decreased sex drive with a higher dose
-the pills made me nauseous/sick at a higher dose unless I took them with a huge meal. There were times when I ate two slices of pizza and I still couldn't keep the 100mg pill down because it wasn't enough food to go with it.

Inspirations
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2012, 10:15 pm

I'm on 100mg and it is brilliant for me, I don't have the screaming and self harm and have been a lot more motivated to pursue my artistic interests.

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2012, 6:55 am

Yes I take it, been on it since I was 17 to keep everything level.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 11:31 am

On 200 milli per day

Unsure if placebo or not. Then I stop and the panic attacks come back like how they were (24/7 blah out). Pretty sure it's medication then.

Pollux
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2012, 12:18 am

I've been on it for 8 years - not for depression, but for panic, general anxiety and moodiness in general. It helps A LOT. I take 200 mgs. I also take Klonopin when I'm having a major panic attack, but nothing stops the complete meltdown situations, which are pretty rare anymore.

Someone asked about memory problems - this is going to sound like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not. I have memory issues and I don't remember if I've always had that or not. I think I used to be able to remember things, and it might just be that I'm getting older (I'm 35), but people at work ask me what I did over the weekend, and I can't remember. I don't know if it's being put on the spot to answer (my mind goes blank when a question is directed at me), or if I just have memory issues. I think it might be related more to the fact that if it's something I don't really care about I don't usually remember it. I don't know.

Judging from that last paragraph, I'd have to say Zoloft has eaten my brain.

Aldersgate
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Feb 2015, 8:58 am

I have been taking 50mgs of Sertraline (Zoloft) since Christmas, it is enormously helpful in terms of managing anxiety and OCD thoughts. However, I am finding the side-effects absolutely murderous. It is now taking me about three hours to get up every morning, I'm not sure if this is totally down to the Meds, but it certainly isn't helping
I can deal with (and kind of half expected) the normal side-effects associated with SSRIs, including insomnia headaches, indigestion and dizziness. I know that taking any sort of medication like this is a bit of a Faustian bargain, but wondered if there is an equivalent of Sertaline that could be appropriate? Any thoughts?

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 12:46 pm

I've been taking 25mg per day since August. I would say that yes it helps. For some reason when I go on higher doses of either SSRI's like Zoloft or Prozac or Tricyclic antidepressants like Anafranil - I get the jitters. So, for me low doses work well - high doses seem to be counterproductive for me.

- Albert Einstein

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 2:18 pm

I've taken it in the past. It wasn't pretty. In the end I decided I'd rather feel anxious and depressed than nothing at all.

Aldersgate
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Feb 2015, 2:20 pm

I started to taking Sertraline (Zoloft) in late December, I was given a fairly low dosage (50 mg).
While it has largely been beneficial and effective in terms of treating anxiety and depression, The side-effects are rather brutal. I am experiencing lethargy, insomnia, headaches, dizzy spells and digestive problems.
Worst of all, it's taking me three hours to get out of bed every day.

I know it is mostly a question of trial and error in terms of fine tuning medications, and I am aware that most SSRIs have side-effects, but I am wondering if there is an equivalent of Sertraline, ideally a very low dosage antidepressants that would not have the accompanying Side-effects? Any ideas?