Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Oct 2012, 12:07 am

Does anyone else experience delayed reactions or responses, in terms of speaking, or performing a task? This happens to me from time to time, I'm not sure if these moments come from over-analysis or my brain temporarily collapsing.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 12:18 am

Yes, I have a delay. My brrrainzzz need to move from what it was doing on the inside to someone poking it on the outside.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2012, 12:30 am

yes, I do this too. I believe it is part of CAPD - Central Auditory Processing Disorder... All these co morbid things that are so prevailant should not be separate things I think as so many of us experience them.. anyhow... mini side track aside, I think that is what causes it...

Though my boyfriend says I have a 34k modem for a brain while NT's have cable modems lol... he is teasing of course and it always makes me laugh... it helps me not feel so bad when the delay happens :)

from: http://www.audiology.org/resources/docu ... 8-2010.pdf

difficulty understanding speech in the presence of competing background noise or in reverberant acoustic environments

problems with the ability to localize the source of a signal

difficulty hearing on the phone

inconsistent or inappropriate responses to requests for information

difficulty following rapid speech

frequent requests for repetition and/or rephrasing of information

difficulty following directions

difficulty or inability to detect the subtle changes in prosody that underlie humor and sarcasm

difficulty learning a foreign language or novel speech materials, especially technical language

difficulty maintaining attention

a tendency to be easily distracted

poor singing, musical ability, and/or appreciation of music

academic difficulties, including reading, spelling and/or learning problems

From Wikipedia:

have trouble paying attention to and remembering information presented orally, and may cope better with visually acquired information

have problems carrying out multi-step directions given orally; need to hear only one direction at a time

have poor listening skills

need more time to process information

have low academic performance

have behavior problems

have language difficulties (e.g., they confuse syllable sequences and have problems developing vocabulary and understanding language)

have difficulty with reading, comprehension, spelling, and vocabulary

Hope that helps!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 6:23 am

Yes, I get this. Sometimes I laugh when somebody intentionally said something to offend me, which then makes it look like I will put up with any s**t and it makes them think they can get away with offending me more. It takes a few seconds for me to think, ''hang on, they were offending me'', and I then wish I had reacted differently, like looked at them with a ''that wasn't a nice thing to say'' expression on my face, or just quietly walked away or something. But no, the dumb cow (me) had to laugh.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 11:10 am

All....the....time..... I think I run on a minimum twenty second delay between hearing something, and actually comprehending what's being said.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 6:13 pm

I have had a tendancy to ask people what they said, even when I did hear it. I remember doing it as a child, and I even remember peope catching me in doing so. They could say something, I would ask them to repeat, and they would refuse and say they think I heard them, and then when I understand it they would laugh and say they knew I heard them.

If they don't repeat it, it takes me only a few more seconds to comprehend their message, but still, the message does not always get through as fast as it should. It is not complicated language, nor is it words I do not know, its just.. the meaning of all the words stringed together that takes a while to puzzle together in my head.

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Oct 2012, 10:45 pm

Thank you all for your responses, and thank you Valkerie2012 for the info on CAPD! I'd never research that. I'm not surprised to find that 90% of the criteria on those lists suit me!

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 1:50 am

It can take a while for me to respond to a stimulus, but not to understand. It's part of my form of autism. It affects expression more than reception.

will_asher
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Oct 2012, 2:27 am

I can really relate to a lot of those symptoms posted by Valkyrie2012, including the delayed reactions.

I work at a Dairy Queen with a drive thru, and I very often have to ask people to repeat themselves or turn off their loud engine when I'm taking orders. My NT coworkers have problems with understanding people at the drive thru as well, but the difference is that when I'm concentrating on listening (and there isn't more than usual background noise), then I can usually understand people better than my coworkers, but when there's more background noise or I'm not really trying to listen (like when I have a headset on, but someone else is taking the order), I'm terrible at hearing any of it.

A lot of times, I say, "What?" asking someone to repeat themself, and then I understand what the person said between when I say "What?" and when they actually repeat themselves.

Also, at my bible study, when it's my turn to read something out loud, I have no idea what I just read until I read it again silently.

djdaza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2012, 4:07 am

When someone says, 'high five' it takes me a few seconds to process the hand in the air, and what they just said then I react. Also I am often the last to laugh at something.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 4:19 am

Valkyrie2012 wrote:
yes, I do this too. I believe it is part of CAPD - Central Auditory Processing Disorder... All these co morbid things that are so prevailant should not be separate things I think as so many of us experience them.. anyhow... mini side track aside, I think that is what causes it...
(...)
Hope that helps!

Thanks! If my I fail to get an Asperger diagnosis(aka I don't have Aspergers), I will definitly persue this with an audiologist. A very interresting read, thanks to much.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2012, 3:59 pm

Blownmind wrote:
Valkyrie2012 wrote:
(...)
Hope that helps!

Thanks! If my I fail to get an Asperger diagnosis(aka I don't have Aspergers), I will definitly persue this with an audiologist. A very interresting read, thanks to much.

:)

Glad my post is found helpful by so many. CAPD and SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) was actually my first thoughts as to what impedes my life... then of course the last penny dropped when encountering Aspergers. My boyfriend has asked me for years... "are you sure you are not autistic baby" .... and it would send me off on another research tangent to see what it was...

Then of course my mother recently dropped the bombshell of my mom taking me in 1979 for an autism diagnosis and they came back saying I wasn't because I lacked a couple features of "classic autism"

And it turned into "Gloria just being Gloria" and I find that so annoying.

And again... sorry for the side track off topic!

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2012, 4:10 pm

Yes, definitely. I have also always done the thing where I ask people to repeat themselves, not because I didn't hear what was said, but because people always expect a response faster than I can process what they said and the extra few seconds enable me to do that. I have difficulty keeping up with the speed of normal conversations and therefore have difficulty involving myself in them.

It doesn't seem to be restricted to verbal situations either. For example, I seem to have slower reactions than others when driving. When my mother is in the car with me she often gets in a panic and yells at me to stop when there is a red light or a car in front stops, etc. I am generally already in the process of doing what she said, and I've yet to have an accident as a result of it, but it appears that my responses to things happen slower than normal people, which is why they cause alarm to someone with normal response times. I have always refused to drive on the motorway. People keep telling me driving on the motorway is easier - but for me it's more dangerous, because it requires fast responses.

I also fit almost all of the things on that CAD list. It sounds like it is closely tied to autism, since I see those traits discussed here a lot.