Will there ever be a cure for Aspergers?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:16 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
nobody should be "forced" to be NT.

Which is exactly what would happen, if a autism 'cure' came along.

Its of no secret larger society finds autistics irritating, confusing and awkward to be around. Especially the employer community If there was a magic pill to make us go away, they would force it down our throats, if they thought they could save money.

Anyone who refuses will be considered a stubborn whiner or self destructive in much the same way a person who refuses to see their doctor about a currently reversible ailment. Once the genie is out of the bottle, it is never going back in.

The reality is though, if if a cure ever became reality (which it wont ever) it would most likely take the form of life threatening brain surgery and the supposed benefits would be massively outweighed by the risks. Whats more the money being wasted on research for a pie in the sky cure would be much better spent on advocacy, therapy, intervention and awareness.

The_Walrus wrote:
Ideally a cure should exist for autism, but nobody should be forced to take it.

Why would a cure for neurotypicalism be any less desirable?

I think what it boils down to is that everyone is assumed to be NT, until an autism diagnosis proves otherwise. Its that 'diagnosis' word which leads everyone to the assumption that it must be an affliction.

Nobody ever gets diagnosed NT, which is why nothing is thought to be wrong with it.

Otherwake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2012, 7:25 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Anyone who refuses will be considered a stubborn whiner or self destructive in much the same way a person who refuses to see their doctor about a currently reversible ailment.

Everything you said is true, especially this. It's the same thing as suicide with these people. You aren't allowed to die unless your life is taken from you against your will. The hospital will take away every right for you to give up on life no matter how grey of an area it might be; and if you resist, they will make your life even more deplorable, making you wish even more that you could die. If you don't think that's true, you've never been in the mental ward section of a hospital. "Choice"? What's that?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:38 pm

another thing nobody's tackled here is the general ethical side.

Our autism is inextricably linked to our personalities. If you take away the autism, is it still the same person? Anyone whos ever loved or been a parent of an autistic person commonly says they would never want them changed because it makes them who they are.

Otherwake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2012, 7:51 pm

thomas81 wrote:
another thing nobody's tackled here is the general ethical side.

Our autism is inextricably linked to our personalities. If you take away the autism, is it still the same person? Anyone whos ever loved or been a parent of an autistic person commonly says they would never want them changed because it makes them who they are.

That ties in to what I was saying before. So if autism isn't ALWAYS a problem, and some people actually LIKE being autistic, why do people continue to argue pig-headedly that autism is a disorder and that nobody should ever say that it's not?

I'm autistic, and I've been autistic my whole life. I've no bonds with family members and my childhood has been nothing short of a catastrophe due to it. But then again, my autism is an integral part of my world-view. It makes me focus on such things, and come to such conclusions, that I do not take what I have suffered in ANY kind of a personal way. I'm not petty, I don't run from negative things, and I have nothing to hide. Instead, I solve problems, because the world is full of structure and cause-and-effect that I naturally focus my attention on rather than the petty wrongdoings of my families and peers. I can do things and solve problems that other people who are always hiding from something cannot do or solve. I might not be better than anyone else, but damn it, the world needs people like me!

Why on earth would I want to give up my autism?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:07 pm

Society would call them bad parents if they didn't say that.

But seriously, they do love their children, but I bet they would love to see them not suffer so much.