Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 3:07 am

Or so I'm naming it, although it's mostly a query. I've managed to make friends in my adult life, and while the few friends I have (3) are genuine, and certainly don't use me in any fashion, I look back on the formation of our friendships, and I recognize an uncommon financial generosity on my part that may have smoothed over otherwise awkward patches. It helps that I'm very into food and cooking (I spend 3-4 hours cooking on an average day), so even those meal invitations are mitigated by food-related conversation.

I guess this question is motivated by my new financial circumstances. I've recently lost my job, and while my friends still express desires to hang out, I don't know how to interact with them. I believe our friendships were formed during these "rich" situations, and no doubt I hold significant responsibility. But I'm worried that I'll bore them now. It was a quick acceptance when they acquiesced to my offer to buy lunch (who turns that down), but it is all different now. Additionally, I get offers to take ME out to lunch, but a combination of low self-evaluation and an extreme introversion in reaction to the change of losing my four-year job drive me away.

I actually have some bizarre experiences with people using me for money, so I guess I'm extremely wary.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 4:09 am

if people ask you out for lunch, don't look a gifthorse in the mouth, graciously accept their invitation, maybe one of these meetups could result in some networking that might help you find another position. :idea: just a thought.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 7:54 am

Yes, many job offers are the result of people going out and socializing, so accept their offers to go out for lunch.