I think mostly in words. 24%  24%  [ 20 ]
I think mostly in pictures/movies. 61%  61%  [ 51 ]
I use mostly use another method. 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 83

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2013, 8:09 pm

I voted for another method, so as to say that I use both, but while I was trying to think about the way I think, I was visualizing myself being in a park thinking, before I could verbalize it.So, I would say it's definitely predominantly visual. I know sometimes when I do math and I try to verbalize it to myself, I stop myself because I realize that the words are totally meaningless, and I need to go back to visualizing the symbols.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:47 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I think there's a spatial element to my thinking because I often feel like concepts exist in a particular space relative to me. This is not a constant and something can move around depending on what else is going on (I may feel that the video game subforum here is off to my left today, but it may end up to my right tomorrow because a video I am watching on youtube is to the left). I haven't really tried to categorize how this works because it is a bit ephemeral and I don't really notice it on an explicit level.

I find it fairly easy to visualize spatial relationships as well.

Does it might have something to do with this:

I mean that one day for example you visualize constructing something in terms of games as even discussing about it you visualize it as being a visual thinker, which at that point is a visual-constructing action (left) and the other day you remember visually the images (outcomes/visual reflection) of it (right), and the process of watching the video comes into the constructing place (left).
Very vague and possibly flawed attempt for a possible explanation.

I am visually thinking as well and I found out that I look very dominant left-eyed left up and it might be due to translating word into images and images into words (processing a text for example = constructing).
I also found out that I think tactile (as in stimming) and for example in therapy as I stim a lot when I have to talk and I look a lot left-eye left down.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2013, 9:01 pm

I think in very vivid moving pictures, as well as the loose "abstract concepts" previously mentioned in this thread. My memory works the same way, to the point where it is almost like having a little television in my head. If I'm having trouble remembering things I can essentially "track back" like one would with a video tape. To test this I once sat down for a few hours and went back through the entire month, and I was quite amazed at the level of detail I was able to remember (although certain things like patterns on clothing or the arrangement of objects on a table were totally gone unless I made a point to remember them). However, my ability to remember sounds and words is very limited unless I write things down, which enables me to recall the act of writing on the paper itself (even if I can't remember the words being said).

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Jan 2013, 9:23 pm

Eloa wrote:
I mean that one day for example you visualize constructing something in terms of games as even discussing about it you visualize it as being a visual thinker, which at that point is a visual-constructing action (left) and the other day you remember visually the images (outcomes/visual reflection) of it (right), and the process of watching the video comes into the constructing place (left).
Very vague and possibly flawed attempt for a possible explanation.

I am visually thinking as well and I found out that I look very dominant left-eyed left up and it might be due to translating word into images and images into words (processing a text for example = constructing).
I also found out that I think tactile (as in stimming) and for example in therapy as I stim a lot when I have to talk and I look a lot left-eye left down.

It might. I hadn't thought about that possibility before, but I will try to keep it in mind and make a note of tendencies. I do know my left eye is dominant.

I think the lateralization of brain functions has a lot to do with thinking styles, so that diagram makes sense.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:23 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I primarily think in pictures or movies, and I tend to picture what I read as movies and could not recite exact quotes without recalling a picture of the page I read, which is not usually possible for me.

I think there's a spatial element to my thinking because I often feel like concepts exist in a particular space relative to me. This is not a constant and something can move around depending on what else is going on (I may feel that the video game subforum here is off to my left today, but it may end up to my right tomorrow because a video I am watching on youtube is to the left). I haven't really tried to categorize how this works because it is a bit ephemeral and I don't really notice it on an explicit level.

I don't know if you remember me talking about feeling motion while doing arithmetic and calendar calculation. There's definitely a feeling of changing position relative to my body and it's not subtle.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:26 pm

ruckus wrote:
I think in very vivid moving pictures, as well as the loose "abstract concepts" previously mentioned in this thread. My memory works the same way, to the point where it is almost like having a little television in my head. If I'm having trouble remembering things I can essentially "track back" like one would with a video tape. To test this I once sat down for a few hours and went back through the entire month, and I was quite amazed at the level of detail I was able to remember (although certain things like patterns on clothing or the arrangement of objects on a table were totally gone unless I made a point to remember them). However, my ability to remember sounds and words is very limited unless I write things down, which enables me to recall the act of writing on the paper itself (even if I can't remember the words being said).

Ruckus could you post or PM me a large size picture of your avatar?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:29 pm

I'm a word nerd.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I primarily think in pictures or movies, and I tend to picture what I read as movies and could not recite exact quotes without recalling a picture of the page I read, which is not usually possible for me.

I don't know if you remember me talking about feeling motion while doing arithmetic and calendar calculation. There's definitely a feeling of changing position relative to my body and it's not subtle.

I do remember you mentioning that. I don't feel motion as such when things end up in a particular position relative to me, so I didn't connect it as similar, although now that you pointed it out I do see that it is.

I spent some time trying to work out if this spatial thing was synesthesia, and determined that it was not because it is not consistent in a manner I have yet been able to identify.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:39 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

I do remember you mentioning that. I don't feel motion as such when things end up in a particular position relative to me, so I didn't connect it as similar, although now that you pointed it out I do see that it is.

I spent some time trying to work out if this spatial thing was synesthesia, and determined that it was not because it is not consistent in a manner I have yet been able to identify.

That's what I was trying to figure out too on the synethesia thread because I haven't seen anything about in what I've read about synethsesia. It's definitely not a normal perception but I don't know what it is. All of what I read has something to do with psychical senses triggering other senses but this is something that happens with a non physical process.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

What is it when there is a metal bar constantly moving and rotating in my head when I hear music?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:53 pm

Not sure. Synesthesia, maybe?

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 10:05 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
What is it when there is a metal bar constantly moving and rotating in my head when I hear music?

Does the bar rotation change with the frequency or tone of the music.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 10:18 pm

DVCal wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

Does the bar rotation change with the frequency or tone of the music.

Yes, the bar follows the music.

TheAvatar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2013, 10:45 pm

I do. I picture things directly if I've experienced them before, or through related concepts and objects if I haven't. If it's an abstract, I tend to picture it as whatever thing I most associate with it.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 12:14 am

I think in pictures and have always had a photographic memory. Even when I'm remembering words, I see the place where the word was. I have memorized different locations and vocabulary words for school by visualizing the textbook or paper in which I saw those words. I still talk to myself in my head a lot, but I see memories and information in mostly pictures.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 1:30 am

Verdandi wrote:

Verdandi wrote:

YES! It's the same for me. It's much more noticeable when remembering things, like names, though the thinking always happens in a space.

I guess the correct word for me would be visual-spatial thinker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_thinking#Spatial-temporal_reasoning_and_spatial_visualization_ability wrote:
Spatial-temporal reasoning and spatial visualization ability

Spatial-temporal reasoning is the ability to visualize special patterns and mentally manipulate them over a time-ordered sequence of spatial transformations. Spatial visualization ability is the ability to manipulate mentally two- and three-dimensional figures.

Spatial-temporal reasoning is prominent among visual thinkers as well as among kinesthetic learners (those who learn through movement, physical patterning and doing) and logical thinkers (mathematical thinkers who think in patterns and systems) who may not be strong visual thinkers at all.