too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:20 pm

Cacao wrote:
I agree with the post above.

He will sooner or later have to face the facts. AS is a diagnosis that is better than being mislabeled and being called ret*d, slow, halfwit or anything like that. But it should not be used as an excuse for being different and antisocial or asocial.

Yes, being different and antisocial is totally the fault of the person with AS, it has nothing to do with the way they were born or anything.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2013, 4:23 am

I don't think young people with AS are any more likely to be 'entitled' than NT young people, as even if those 'spoiled AS brats' were NT their parents would find some other reason to 'spoil' them. You'll find AS people who aren't like the kid described by the OP, and NT people who are 'spoiled'.

MDShinobi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2013, 6:00 am

I'm actually very surprised to hear this, and i'm actually happy for the kid. He has confidence, supportive parents, and he knows he's intelligent. That's all very rare for an autistic or aspie to have, especially at such a young age, because we are generally or specifically mislabeled, bullied, misunderstood; we're scapegoated and stereotyped. Please don't be upset with this kid, he's got the entire world at his fingertips because he believes he can achieve something, don't take it away from him.
"You've met one autistic/aspie, you've met only one autistic/aspie"
Just like how I have now spoken to one neurotypical, and now know just the one neurotypical - not all of them. :)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 6:57 am

I don't feel that I'm entitled anything nor to be given special treatment.

Never had either of those either. Wouldn't know what to do with them.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 8:06 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Disraeli wrote:
The problem is, that no one is really special.

thats what really makes me angry, if im not anymore special then anyone else at my school, then why the hell am i getting garbage thrown at me and then the biggest a**hole in the school has 5000 friends and is praised everyday, at that point you stop believing that everyone is equal

Everyone is merely taking part of life's selection-game. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you have autism you are special in the sense that you are usually not naturally atuned to participate in the selection-game (or you have a problem with the fact that life is just that game - I personally have that, but that's also where I get my confidence from).

The big a**hole you are referring to is praised everyday because he is doing well in the selection game. People praise those people that are doing well in the selection game in the hope that their success might affect them positively. In that sense the a**hole is also special.

Being an a**hole is typically a sign of a guy who thinks he is worth more than others. Nature rewards this because he has greater survival opportunities because of his belief. He is going to fight more for what he wants because he believes he deserves it more than others do.

JennaTheAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2016, 1:34 pm

Cacao wrote:
I agree with the post above.

He will sooner or later have to face the facts. AS is a diagnosis that is better than being mislabeled and being called ret*d, slow, halfwit or anything like that. But it should not be used as an excuse for being different and antisocial or asocial.

I was misdiagnosed at the age of 5 or 6 as intellectually disabled. How that could happen? I've no clue but it did. It was painful to grow up with that misdiagnosis.....

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 2:53 pm

Disraeli wrote:
I know a kid who is about 16, and he's one of these kids whose mom tells him he's special and all his problems are because of the world, that he doesn't need to change because he's 'special" just the way he is. The problem is, that no one is really special.

This kid is a bit of a brat and thinks that just because he has autism the world should serve everything to him on a silver platter. The question is, is this common amongst Aspie kids or just a symptom of a larger cultural phenomena?

I had this attitude. I thought because I had Asperger's I was supposed to get my way because that is what I saw online about autistic children. Parents do everything like following their routines and having their siblings evolve around their routines and their lives are so easy and they don't have to deal with all the anxiety and being anxious all the time. Also I tried to have ODD because I saw how much Frankie got his way and how much control he was in and his life was so easy at home so I figured to try that so my life would be easy at home and no more anxiety and meltdowns. But that backfired. But my mom said I just took it all too literal and my therapist told me how wrong this all is what parents do with their autistic children because what does it teach them? I understand now that this happens because they don't want to deal with the meltdowns and all and I just had a stronger family is why and they were glad to put up with my meltdowns and anxiety and just tell me to go to my room and have them and come out when I am done. Also these people might not know what to do so they find it easier to just give into their autistic child and evolve around them because it's better than meltdowns and dealing with behavior issues and anxiety. Even parents of NT children give in sometimes but parents of autistic children have to do it more often. Also you pick your battles but this was hard for me to understand as a teen and child because I saw only that you have to do that behavior to get your way and keep on doing it until they give up and give in. So that was a good reason why I was always kept with normal kids and not put in a special school and why my parents didn't want me in a behavior program and why my mom didn't like me being in social skills group training. If I had been around autistic kids as a child, I would have mimicked them to get my way because I would have seen how they do it and not understand. I would have found short cuts to dealing with my problems and feelings. Then my mom would have had to struggle to explain to me why they do it and why I can't. I was even taken out of my self contained room because I was mimicking inappropriate behavior there and thinking it was school behavior and then in my social skills group, I was getting all confused about how to act and what is and isn't okay because I would learn something and then my mom would have to start all over with it when I would see another kid do it and then I would get all confused. Like with looking in mail slots for example. I was told that was not appropriate behavior but then I see a boy in my group do it so it confused me and boy did my mom have to deal with a bunch of questions after that because I was so confused because of the contradiction. Why is it okay for him, we are the same age so why is he doing it? Why can't I do it, why isn't it okay for me? That was the reason why rules were so hard for me to follow as a child because of all these contradictions and kids not following them and my school tried to say I just had a behavior disorder and needed to be in a behavior program. They say autistic people are rule followers but I was the opposite. Hell I was probably better off being home schooled but my parents wanted me in school so I could learn social skills because I always mimicked and used my eyes to figure things out and how to act. That is the skill that most kids had but for me it was a curse because of lack of social cues and being too literal and not understanding the hidden curriculum.

Plus I think the autism label can cause parents to lower their expectations so they might let their autistic children do things and get away with things and just give in. I don't doubt there are autistic kids out there who are indeed brats and just do things because everyone lets them. Who says they can't do that like normal children can? I don't know how common this is but there are parents out there who do let their special needs kids get away with things and do nothing about it but part of it could be because they don't know what to do about it and how to teach them. I just had a mom who did know what to do and did try and figure out how to teach me and never assumed I was incapable of understanding because punishments she had given me were all ineffective. Parents might assume their kid isn't capable because they have tried but it failed so they assume their kid isn't capable.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 3:11 pm

No, we are not.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 8:42 pm

Is necrobumping all these threads about how we are all spoiled, entititled, fad followers, brats some sort of trolling, defamation campaign, cyberbullying?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 9:06 pm

I have not read the whole thread so I am just replying to the Original post. I don't think that problem is Aspie specific. I have seen it with many parents and it is more general and common than I would like it to be. I have seen it with some Aspie kids but more with NTs. Maybe it's because I have seen more NT kids than Aspie kids. But it is a very serious problem and it needs to stop.

Wreck It Ralph

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 9:28 pm

No.