Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Rational
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2013, 9:58 pm

What are some good tips for treatment of NLD? I am also inclined to take medication, as long as the negative side-effects aren't significant (addiction is ok, I'm not going to take everything more then 1-3 times weekly anyway, so I won't even get the opportunity to get addicted) - like the one suggested in that other thread (Noopept) - only I didn't see any studies talking about NLD and those two drugs.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

13 Feb 2013, 10:17 pm

Vision Therapy has helped for some people. It may depend on whether your NVLD is caused by a brain injury or an eye abnormality (e.g. strabismus). Some have gone to India to try stem cell treatment (search for the Facebook Group Nonverbal Learning Disability -- Taking Charge and talk to Jeremy Lowey for more info about that).

I have found Vitamin D intake to be helpful with some things. So make sure you don't have a deficiency. If you are not suntanned, particularly if you are non European, you probably do. The app Spatial IQ Test available on the iphone is helpful if you retake the subtests multiple times. That's the only app I have found that was really worth doing, and I've examined them all. It has a fairly rapid effect. Mouse Maze on the ipad is a distant second, and POV Spatial Reasoning Development I would put third. A friend recommended Braid, Portal, and Grand Theft Auto games, though I have only played Braid so far.

I've been inhabiting these boards for the past 2-3 months, and I'm glad that NVLD is finally starting to get some recognition!!

Good luck! Let me know if you find something else that works!

Rational
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2013, 2:16 pm

First, I am not even sure what exactly NLD is - I only noticed that I have deficits/problems that are additional to my ADHD, (other ADHD people don't have them), I didn't see any possible source for them, they are quite severe and disabling, and quite fit into the descriptions of NLD I found online. With that said, here are some things about what I see as NLD.

I have found reading books to be helpful. A certain book was particularly helpful - however, I do not want the title posted here, but I would love to PM its title to anyone. It is an unusual book, and quite complex, but extremely good. Also, I've noticed that people's NLD generally reduces as they age - not just from 15 to 25, but I think even from 40 to 50, where their brains are supposed to get slower. This observation is based on a very small sample size. This probably happens because real life forces them to use the part of their brains which involves NLD, and I hypothesize that using that part trains it - like pushups for your brain - not because that makes intuitive sense, but because that works for other things, such as working memory.

P.S. May I PM you to ask you a few questions about your NLD? I am trying to invent a way of figuring out which people have it and which don't.

Rational
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2013, 5:44 pm

sigh...

bump

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

17 Feb 2013, 7:15 pm

We need to make a new Wrong Planet for NVLD. There's a lot I can't relate to here.

I was in special ed programs, not gifted programs, and I don't like anime or video games. lol.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 5:31 pm

The way I've come to understand it, autistics are just wired differently from NTs, and NLDers are wired the same way as NTs only the wiring is damaged. It's hard for me, after living half a century thinking I was like everyone else, to have to train myself to always remember that I'm brain damaged and always rely more on others than on my own judgment because I'm the one with the damaged brain.

Treatment for NLD - I've never heard of any, and certainly there's nothing out there that's proven to be able to mend a damage that no one knows where or what it is. Things that can improve each of the syumptoms separately, yes - lots of practice, private tutoring, etc. But what I suffer from the most is the symptom of social obliviousness, and other than understanding intellectually what others are born knowing intuitively (which would take 200 years of intense work to make enough of a difference in one's relationships with humans), I can't think how we could "treat" this symptom.

Rational
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2013, 7:38 am

I'm not sure if ASDs are wired differently. Just a few months of intense pattern recognition, driven by curiosity and desire to improve, have led me to be able to understand NTs. Not sure if my brain's biology changed.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 5:12 am

The only biological difference as I see it anyway, is the brains analysis of not just individual but separate events. Im not trying to indulge in active interference from other peoples behalf just to be a spokesperson for myself but I can and will speak up for myself when I see loads of people fighting their disorder on W.P and other forums like it who cant even have the guts to explain how they're really feeling in the process of so many other things happening around them. I know its hard but this one has helped me, (but might not be for everyone).
Imagine someone standing on top of a box, male or female, and start thinking why are they appearing on top of the box, so like they are there, with one voice in your ear, they are saying something, only you know, if they are lying or making much sense, then in your mind, if the box subsides, then by random thinking processes, but with necessary good judgement, you are able to make a quick thinking action -based discovery based on your decision whatever that may be. This exercise can be for anyone. Many people believe that with Asperger's seeing is believing, but sometimes, an imaginary force field is necessary. It can create turbo reality of what lies beneath. The consequences are habitual to the minds force field.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 2:12 pm

There's no specific treatment for NLD. The best you can do is try to improve deficits like improve your spatial awareness or understanding of nonverbal communication. My psych told me to play video games and read comics (interesting treatment) in order to improve my understanding of spatial relations and non-verbal communication (the comics). I haven't tried this though.