Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2013, 2:53 pm

I consider a "syndrome" a collection of disorders, like aspergers to me is a collection of disorders that make up the aspergers syndrome

epitome81
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2013, 3:04 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
How do I convince the carers that I am not in an acute mental health crisis?

You can't, the observation is entirely subjective on their part based and you just simply can't. If you want to be safe and you want to be stable I'd advise removing your triggers including being surrounded by closed minded indoctrinated enforcers who will lose their livelihood if they did not take action for every meltdown you have. You can't convince them or anyone of anything, but you can try and make your environment one that suits your differences with acceptance and compromise. By law, these guys cannot make that call unfortunately nor would the have the understanding to make such a choice in most cases.

NT Score= 126 out of 200

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 5:09 pm

You may not be able to trick or convince them, but if you really aren't in crisis, then you can often make them understand that. Like so: "I am not suicidal. I am not thinking of hurting myself or anyone else. I can take care of my own basic needs. I am thinking clearly and I can communicate when I need to. I do not need to be in the hospital." Many professionals will listen to you when you say something like that, especially if you are in out-patient care for whatever symptoms they are worried about.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

epitome81
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2013, 5:59 pm

Callista wrote:
You may not be able to trick or convince them, but if you really aren't in crisis, then you can often make them understand that. Like so: "I am not suicidal. I am not thinking of hurting myself or anyone else. I can take care of my own basic needs. I am thinking clearly and I can communicate when I need to. I do not need to be in the hospital." Many professionals will listen to you when you say something like that, especially if you are in out-patient care for whatever symptoms they are worried about.

This has never been my experience, but I've heard this from people who lived in laxer states than others. If all it takes is "two witnesses of presumed harm to one's self or others" to commit someone with no other evidence I'd play it safe rather than assume mercy and rationality. I walked out of healthcare for such orders on the developmentally disabled by state law mandate (I was a DDA/CMT for a year, I quit, it was horrifying), I couldn't go through with knowing someone isn't a threat and using "force" to change behavior. I certainly hope things have changed and are not like that everywhere, but if the law requires enforcement under local law I would be very cautious in this setting...

In my home state, we were taught to treat DDs different than you would an NT and they counted personality disorders/mental illness under this clause of being "unfit to make your own decisions".

NT Score= 126 out of 200