Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AmazingMess
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2013, 2:19 pm

I've taken a few of those tests out there once or twice, and they always result in saying I'm below the cutoff for an Aspie score, the most recent time being almost there but not quite. Yet, ever since I heard about AS, I've been positive that I have it. On another thread, I read something about a guy whose psychologists told him he didn't have it, but it was because he hid it so well. Does anyone think that's my problem? I've had a counsellor tell me she didn't think I have it, and I instead just have "social phobia". Which, is that not exactly what AS is sometimes??

Anyway, ranting aside... Have any other Aspies scored "not Aspie" on those online tests? Or am I just imagining my problems?

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 2:33 pm

Quote:
I've had a counsellor tell me she didn't think I have it, and I instead just have "social phobia". Which, is that not exactly what AS is sometimes??

No, not really. People with AS can develop social phobia, but then so can anyone.

In person some people are so used to pretending that they do it when they are being assessed and so come out with "no you don't have it" diagnosis when in fact they may indeed have it. But I don't think that would happened in the online quizzes - after all there is no need or impulse to pretend when answering a quiz so I don't see why being adept at hiding it in person would affect your answers to the quizzes.

What makes you think you have AS rather than (or as well as) social phobia?

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2013, 2:34 pm

I can't help you, but social phobia is a common diagnoses of someone who has Asperger Syndrome.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 2:52 pm

Do you think you have any of the other symptoms of AS/autism, other than social issues?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 2:56 pm

Someone with AS, but not social phobia, is not particularly afraid of rejection or ridicule and does not spend too much time worrying what other people think of him. He will make social mistakes but is able to set them aside, or is simply focused on something other than socializing. If he is an introvert, he tends to spend time alone because socializing exhausts him, not because he fears being rejected. Such an individual willingly spends time with people, if the energy and desire are there, but solitude does not tend to result in persistent feelings of loneliness or inadequacy, nor does it result in worrying over whether other people have rejected him.

Someone with social phobia but not AS will avoid social contact, spend a lot of time thinking about how to avoid messing up socially, and obsess about whether other people are going to reject him; he is profoundly afraid of embarrassing himself. When the anxiety is lower, his social skills tend to be normal or low-normal. Many people with social phobia will drink to relax in social situations and find they are more able to socialize when they are relaxed. If there are one or more people that someone with social phobia knows very well and does not feel uncomfortable interacting with, his social skills when dealing with them will be normal. In addition, instead of misusing or not using nonverbal signals, someone with social phobia tends to correctly display body language that implies fear, defensiveness, or stress when socializing. The lack of eye contact from someone with social phobia is not an inability to use eye contact, but a fear of meeting the other person's eyes.

Someone with both AS and social phobia has a lot of social anxiety, but even in those situations where he is not anxious, such as with close friends or when particularly relaxed, he still displays very deficient social skills. In addition to the social skills deficits, he will have some form of repetitive behavior or intense interests, such as stimming or obsessive interests in narrow topics. One striking difference between AS and social phobia is that people with AS tend to be better at public speaking than at conversations, while people with social phobia are usually paralyzed with fear by the idea of public speaking, but find private conversations less threatening.

If your symptoms are purely social, without language or executive functioning problems, it is likely that you do not have an autism spectrum disorder. A few purely-social cases probably exist, and would have to be categorized with PDD-NOS, but for the most part, autism involves more than just problems with socializing.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

AmazingMess

25 Feb 2013, 3:08 pm

paxfilosoof wrote:
I can't help you, but social phobia is a common diagnoses of someone who has Asperger Syndrome.

Thank you...

YellowBanana wrote:
In person some people are so used to pretending that they do it when they are being assessed and so come out with "no you don't have it" diagnosis when in fact they may indeed have it. But I don't think that would happened in the online quizzes - after all there is no need or impulse to pretend when answering a quiz so I don't see why being adept at hiding it in person would affect your answers to the quizzes.

And to everyone asking:
Quote:
What makes you think you have AS rather than (or as well as) social phobia?

I was thinking that maybe subconsciously, I'm hiding it as well - as in I've adapted to not have symptoms. I think I may have done this throughout my life, up until the point when I found out about Asperger's, which was when I felt relieved and started accepting the things I do and the symptoms I have.
So the symptoms I think I have would be...
- Significant difficulty in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as the lack of eye contact, few facial expressions, awkward or clumsy body postures and gestures
- Failure to develop friendships with other children of the same age (Somewhat; When I was a kid most of my friends were different ages)
- Lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people) (I avoid even my best friend for weeks at a time)
- I've always avoided eye contact and I have to force myself to do it in conversations; otherwise I speak to a person while looking anywhere else
- Extra sensory; not to an extreme degree but I can hear much quieter things than most people and loud noises scare/hurt me at times
- Difficulty with regulating emotions

I know there are other things but I can't find the article online that I read when I 'diagnosed' myself a couple years ago.

I don't want to be told I don't have it. It fits with my perception of myself. I want to have Asperger's. Because no other disorders make sense to me.

AmazingMess

25 Feb 2013, 3:11 pm

Another thing - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, have problems with speaking. I sometimes have a weird semi-stutter; sometimes I just fumble my words around. I don't know if this counts or not. I always used to just account it to being human until it made sense as an Aspie symptom.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 3:36 pm

Do you have any non-social symptoms?

If we're going with the current criteria, do you fit any of these?

Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

Because as of right now they're mandatory for a diagnosis (if what you want is a diagnosis)

AmazingMess

25 Feb 2013, 3:43 pm

(A) Playing only one video game, with no interest in others, in all my free time - does that qualify?
(B) I can't think of any, but maybe a psychologist would recognize some where I didn't see them. So my answer is no.
(C) Maybe mild. I've noticed myself doing it once in a while. This probably doesn't count, but when I'm playing a computer game or reading things on the computer I almost have to do crochet every few minutes. I realized that's kind of a fidgety thing for me.
(D) Idk? What does this entail or include?

Interesting - I didn't know those were the official requirements for a diagnosis. Now I know. If I had to guess, if I were to be evaluated by your average psychologist (certainly any I would end up with in my underdeveloped town) they would probably say no I don't have it.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 3:56 pm

AmazingMess wrote:
(A) Playing only one video game, with no interest in others, in all my free time - does that qualify?
(B) I can't think of any, but maybe a psychologist would recognize some where I didn't see them. So my answer is no.
(C) Maybe mild. I've noticed myself doing it once in a while. This probably doesn't count, but when I'm playing a computer game or reading things on the computer I almost have to do crochet every few minutes. I realized that's kind of a fidgety thing for me.
(D) Idk? What does this entail or include?

Interesting - I didn't know those were the official requirements for a diagnosis. Now I know. If I had to guess, if I were to be evaluated by your average psychologist (certainly any I would end up with in my underdeveloped town) they would probably say no I don't have it.

Well, that's not the full criteria and depending on where you live and who you see they'll either use the DSM one or the ICD.

Current (soon to change) DSM criteria

Quote:
(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity
(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

ICD criteria

Quote:
A. A lack of any clinically significant general delay in spoken or receptive language or cognitive development. Diagnosis requires that single words should have developed by two years of age or earlier and that communicative phrases be used by three years of age or earlier. Self-help skills, adaptive behaviour and curiosity about the environment during the first three years should be at a level consistent with intellectual development. However, motor milestones may be somewhat delayed and motor clumsiness is usual (although not a necessary diagnostic feature). Isolated special skills, often related to abnormal preoccupations, are common, but are not required for diagnosis.

B.Qualitative abnormalities in reciprocal social interaction (criteria as for autism).

C.An unusually intense circumscribed interest or restrictive, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behaviour, interests and activities (criteria as for autism; however, it would be less usual for these to include either motor mannerisms or preoccupations with part-objects or non-functional elements of play materials).

D.The disorder is not attributable to other varieties of pervasive developmental disorder; schizotypal disorder (F21); simple schizophrenia (F20.6); reactive and disinhibited attachment disorder of childhood (F94.1 and .2); obsessional personality disorder (F60.5); obsessive-compulsive disorder (F42).

Although, for that one, you also have to look at the Autism criteria http://www.iancommunity.org/cs/autism/i ... for_autism it's a bit long to paste.

There are some other criteria put together by proffesionals, but they're variants with very similar 'boxes' as it were. For example see the Gilberg's criteria -

Quote:
1.Severe impairment in reciprocal social interaction (at least two of the following)
(a) inability to interact with peers
(b) lack of desire to interact with peers
(c) lack of appreciation of social cues
(d) socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior

2.All-absorbing narrow interest (at least one of the following)
(a) exclusion of other activities
(b) repetitive adherence
(c) more rote than meaning

3.Imposition of routines and interests (at least one of the following)
(a) on self, in aspects of life
(b) on others

4.Speech and language problems (at least three of the following)
(a) delayed development
(b) superficially perfect expressive language
(c) formal, pedantic language
(d) odd prosody, peculiar voice characteristics
(e) impairment of comprehension including misinterpretations of literal/implied meanings

5.Non-verbal communication problems (at least one of the following)
(a) limited use of gestures
(b) clumsy/gauche body language
(c) limited facial expression
(d) inappropriate expression
(e) peculiar, stiff gaze

6.Motor clumsiness: poor performance on neurodevelopmental examination

(All six criteria must be met for confirmation of diagnosis.)

And another professional, Szatmari's criteria

Quote:
1. Social isolation (at least two of the following):

a. no close friends

b. avoids others

c. no interest in making friends

d. a loner

2. Impaired social interaction (at least one of the following):

a. approaches others only to have own needs met

b. clumsy social approach

c. one-sided responses to peers

d. difficulty sensing feelings of others

e. indifference to the feelings of others

3. Impaired non-verbal communication (at least one of the following):

a. limited facial expressions

b. impossible to read emotions through facial expression of the child

c. inability to convey message with eyes

d. avoids looking at others

e. does not use hands to aid expression

f. large and clumsy gestures

g. infringes on other people’s physical space

4. Speech and language peculiarities (at least two of the following):

a. abnormalities of inflection

b. over-talkative

c. non-communicative

d. lack of cohesion to conversation

e. idiosyncratic use of words ( uses words in a different way then what they would normally mean)

f. repetitive patters of speech

Sorry for the info-dump but I hope some of that is useful for you. No one on here can tell if you have an ASD though. Regarding the video game, I'm not entirely sure I think it would depend how long you've been playing said video game. *Shrugs*

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 3:58 pm

Asperger's and social phobia are NOT the same thing. Not at all. The two can definitely coexist. AS can lead to social phobia, but AS is not social phobia itself. I wouldn't put too much stock into online tests, though they can give you an idea of where you are at. I have social phobia and have never been tested for AS (although I was diagnosed by my psychiatrist), but the online tests say I do have it. I still don't feel too comfortable saying that I unequivocally have it though because the only way to know for sure is to get properly tested. I feel I do as well as do my therapist and psychiatrist but I won't know until officially tested. So, my advice to you is to find a way to get officially, thoroughly, tested. That is the only way to know for sure.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2013, 4:02 pm

Callista wrote:
...while people with social phobia are usually paralyzed with fear by the idea of public speaking, but find private conversations less threatening.

I remember, when I was in elementary school, I loved to speak in front of the class...raising my hand to answer questions, reading out of the text book for everyone and giving presentations for my groups were way more enjoyable and straightforward than socializing at recess. Unfortunately, something happened between then and middle school, and I flipped a whole 360 degrees and am now strongly phobic about public speaking. Worst of both worlds, ha!

Anyway, AmazingMess, which parts of the Aspie quizzes do you usually answer neurotypically enough to warrant your results? These aren't things that are universally Aspie in nature, but are you a picky eater due to food textures? Do you dislike bright lights? Have you ever had an obsession or interest that was all occupying for a period of time? Are you slower to get jokes and sarcasm? Are you very detail oriented and often pick up on smaller cues that others miss...I think this relates to me personally, in that, if I'm shown a 'beautiful' image of some mountain and forest landscape, I'm more interested in the individual trees, their species and ages than the image as a whole.

AmazingMess

25 Feb 2013, 4:08 pm

windtreeman wrote:
Anyway, AmazingMess, which parts of the Aspie quizzes do you usually answer neurotypically enough to warrant your results? These aren't things that are universally Aspie in nature, but are you a picky eater due to food textures? Do you dislike bright lights? Have you ever had an obsession or interest that was all occupying for a period of time? Are you slower to get jokes and sarcasm? Are you very detail oriented and often pick up on smaller cues that others miss...I think this relates to me personally, in that, if I'm shown a 'beautiful' image of some mountain and forest landscape, I'm more interested in the individual trees, their species and ages than the image as a whole.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes! Those are exactly the sort of things that tell me I'm an Aspie. Thank you Treeman for pointing them out! I was getting a little afraid that it was all in my imagination...
Unfortunately, I get the feeling that those aren't the sort of things they ask you while getting officially tested...

And to FalsettoTesla - thank you for giving me your unofficial diagnosis info. :p I will read the rest of that post later but for now I have to go to the dentist. Really, thanks. (:

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 5:04 pm

You can have social phobia along with ASD, but you are born with ASD. If you were unresponsive and aloof as a baby you probably have ASD.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2013, 5:21 pm

I wouldn´t trust online tests very well.

AmazingMess

25 Feb 2013, 10:44 pm

Thanks, guys. (: I feel a bit better about it and I think I'm going to stick with my "have asperger's - self diagnosed", mostly because it's good enough for me and consellors all make me nervous.