Page 9 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 4:13 pm

NoCriminalIntent wrote:
First off, Im a high school drop out. Does that make you feel smarter now.

No, I did not ask to see who was smarter, I ask because you make statements that have no logical basis in reality, so I wanted to know where you are getting your information from, since you call neuroscientists "quacks" based on a gross misunderstanding of what the field is. You are obviously attempting to belittle a field. Telling an Astronomer that what he does is no better than astrology is one of the worst things you can say.

NoCriminalIntent wrote:
Im not saying fMRI's are used for curing anything. Im saying the understanding of what fMRI's tell us is based on theory piled upon theory. When a scientist claims an area of the brain does this or that, this is theory based on the particular type of activity that is being measured. But what if that activity was secondary and there was other activity occurring that was a type of activity we couldnt see with the imaging.

No, you didn't. You are calling it pseudoscience precisely because it cannot explain physical mechanisms of transmission, which is not a part of the diagnosing process. You claim that neuroscience is pseudoscience because it diagnoses areas of brain activity without explaining how information is passed from area to area. Which I have explained is not true, and why.

What type of activity? The fMRI scan picks up any change in blood flow, anywhere in the brain. No blood flow, no activity. No activity, nothing happening. The brain cannot work without blood. And yes, it is true that not all of the neural networks have been pinpointed, but that is the whole point of research.

NoCriminalIntent wrote:
The definition of diagnosis is determining "the nature and circumstances of a diseased condition".

Please tell us in your most learned fashion how imaging will ever define "the nature" of autism without understanding the processes involved.

Please read my post again. No where did I say that imaging will ever "define the nature of autism". It diagnoses it, it does not define the whole of it. You do not need to explain the entire nature of a tumor to diagnose it. I do not see why your smart ass remarks are necessary.

NoCriminalIntent wrote:
Imaging may someday in the far distant future allow us to assume autism may be involved, but the actual diagnosis will never come from the imaging. Or do you actually believe that someday it will. If so, how.

No, the diagnoses will never be solely based on imaging. There is background information that needs to be ascertained and compared alongside other information.

NoCriminalIntent wrote:
And Im not saying to stop the process, just admit what it is. Which scientists have a hard time doing, because it diminishes the importance of their work. Instead, bold statements are made that convey images that are not valid.

I know of no scientists who take this position for the very fact that they continously continue to do research in their field. Continuing research in the field is an admittance that there is still more work that needs to be done and not everything is known. It does not diminish the importance of their work, but quite the opposite, it ensures that they will continue their work for years to come.

NoCriminalIntent wrote:
This is what scares me. First, physical law is one of the few things I consider fact. But, yes, pretty much everything else is theory on top of theory. Which can also be summed up as assumption on top of assumption. Or castles made of theoretical sand so to speak. And whether or not in each instance it is the right thing to do or not only time will tell.

This is what many people say, and although it is true that everything is theory on theory, when their lives are on the line, few people have not seen a doctor for this reason.

The same can be said of everything; history, our lives, decisions, etc. What we call right and wrong change with time.

Also, physical laws are exactly the same. The holy grail of physics right now is to find a formula that combines quantum physics and general relativity, which would render both theories obsolete. The fact that people do research in physics shows that what we know about the physical world is not the final say on the matter.

NoCriminalIntent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2007, 5:35 pm

[quote="jonathan79"][/quote]

jonathan, your taking everything wrong. When I said quacks I was referring to scientists in general who take theory and refer to it as fact. Like this;

"No blood flow, no activity. No activity, nothing happening."

You state it as fact. Is it? Please explain how you know for a fact, (if you have trouble with the word, look it up), that the brain is completely inactive at this time. If you dont know how the brain communicates, how do you know its inactive.

Your excuse for stating theory for fact is that all of life is based on theory. This is not true. Life is based on life itself. Theory is man's feeble attempt to define life. And, (as you yourself must acknowledge by citing how new theories in physical law may change how everything is looked at on the physical level), if physical law, the only thing that we can actually truly measure beyond a shadow of a doubt, is subject to the whims of theory, then what can be said for a basically unknown science like neurology.

Do yourself a favor. Admit to yourself now that everything your doing is based on assumptions. Itll save your ego embarrassment in future years when you have to say your old facts were really just theories and they were wrong. Of course youll have a brand new set of extra shiny facts that are soundly based in more theory to take there place. hahahaha

As to your accusation that my knowledge has no basis in reality. Duh.

PS dont give up the night job.

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 7:53 pm

Your post was quite amusing. Mostly because you attack me with everything that I have admitted so far!

I won't waste my time correcting your misperceptions anymore. There is one undeniable fact in debate; when someone resorts to personal attacks and smart remarks, they feel that their logical evidence is not good enough, thus they need to throw something "extra" in to improve their argument. Your own post proves your ignorance.

Feibel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2007, 4:18 pm

Why is it that "LABELS" create such a strong reaction? It happens in "NT-AS", "Hetero-Homo", "White-NonWhite", "Sweet-Sour", in Mexico, US, Chile, India, France or any other place.

Why try to always equate "LABEL" to "SELF DEFINITION"? I am HFA/Asperger... does that define me completely? Of course not! If you get 20 different people with the same Dx you would have 20 different ways of being HFA/AS... It means that I have problems socializing... among other things. I understand things differently... Better or Worse? Neither. Just different.

Now, in regards to the "group belonging"-thingy; it has really helped me to relax the fact that there are MANY OTHERS that feel and have the same traits as me... whether is if I get stressed and start spinning on my chair or start rocking. I certainly do not endorse any "reverse apartheid" but I like to be able to be myself without the scrutiny or the comments as "stop doing that!", or "can't you control yourself?" or direct accusations of "you are not listening to me!".

Being close to AS-people (don't you just LOVE the label? :D ) and knowing there is a variation that accommodates me is relieving. I am not looking for the "SPECIAL" label, since I always get it from everybody, wether I try or not; for good or worse. And I have done so since I was a child.

In short:

Labels are references only, gives you an idea (a general idea) of what, where and how things are. Curiously enough... it seems that in here the reactions are smoother and easier, not what anyone would expect from "people-who-take-things-literally" or is this JUST A LABEL that doesn't define US appropriately?

PS... This was my "Rock & Roll" week... going live with my current project in less than a month and got stressed most of the time. I rocked and spin on my chair till I broke it and had to get a replacement. <--- this is where I got the "Can't you control yourself and be a normal person?" "No, I can't... and if you need to charge me for the chair, do so; but, please, do not ever ask me to control myself." Was my response a demonstration of my desire to consider myself special? I don't know and I don't care. (said the goose).

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 4:29 pm

Cade wrote:
tkmattson wrote:
You're a kinder soul than myself at this moment. What I don't get is why is she here if this problem doesn't exist?

LOL. I don't come here often so I missed this nonsense the first time around, and so I was pursuing the thread to see if anyone had asked this. Anyone who willingly submitted to such alledged testing for something she doesn't think exist is probably full of sh** in my book, and she's likely just loving the fact she's taking the more gulliable souls around here for this ride. My money's on her having made up this tale, after doing some amateur psych research on Wiki to get some impressive jargon under her belt (or maybe she's just some dumb, solipsist undergrad who's taken a couple of psych classes and now thinks she's smarter than people with Ph.D.s), and came here posing as someone dx'd just to see if it gave her more cred when she turned around and said AS doesn't exist. There's obvious deception going on here, and I suspect there's a simple, very immature, ego-driven reason for her doing this. Maybe her psych prof laughed at her. Maybe she's mad because a relative has AS and is getting attention and support she wants for herself. Whatever it is, she's obviously attention-seeking if she's drunk-posting on top of her other nonsense.

Stats, you have no cred with me. I'm a 35-year-old, educated, well-read and incredibly intelligent woman with AS who has been working with students with autism and other disorders for about a decade now. Those are my creds. Regardless that I do agree that people with conditions like AS should not define and limit themsleves by a mere diagnosis, and regardless of what wonderfully self-serving pretense you think validates your game, I still think you're full of sh** and that you're lying to the people here about who and what you are. Get over yourself.

I'm quoting this whole thing because I think it bears re-reading. I completely agree with Cade. This person seems deceptive, right down to the frat-boy picture avatar of the supposed "NT BF".

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 4:35 pm

This thread actually made me realize something important: I only know THREE people in real life who believe in AS and who believe I have it: my co-canoodler, my diagnosing psychiatrist, and my university disabilities counselor.

NOBODY else in my life either "believes in AS" or believes I have it (those being one and the same). I have family, friends, coworkers etc. that have told me so or acted that way. So I am totally used to people telling me that "Asperger's isn't real" and, while it bothers me, I think what has made this such an offensive poster to "us", is that it's one thing for an NT to not believe in AS, but for one of "our own" to not believe in it is like heresy.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 4:50 pm

aylissa wrote:
This thread actually made me realize something important: I only know THREE people in real life who believe in AS and who believe I have it: my co-canoodler, my diagnosing psychiatrist, and my university disabilities counselor.

NOBODY else in my life either "believes in AS" or believes I have it (those being one and the same). I have family, friends, coworkers etc. that have told me so or acted that way. So I am totally used to people telling me that "Asperger's isn't real" and, while it bothers me, I think what has made this such an offensive poster to "us", is that it's one thing for an NT to not believe in AS, but for one of "our own" to not believe in it is like heresy.

I have to say, I can't blame them. If I didn't have it, I might doubt it myself. Even if I doubt MYSELF, I have to ask how you,etc..., know about things like sensory skewing. I STILL remember how I acted 37 years ago as a little kid when I heard the fire alarm. I seemed to be the most hurt in the entire school, and VISIBLY so. Just today, I called a company's tech support, and their on hold music started with a note that was PAINFUL to me! I can't believe it hurts most of their other customers in that way. Another company's tech support line has a different note that ALSO hurts. WHY????

Anyway, there are also the temperature preferences, and early obsessive interests. How can anyone say it is formal education, upbringing, or imagination?(BTW no word was used in this post to indicate yelling or hatred of any nature. :wink: )

Steve

statschica
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2007, 10:30 pm

aylissa wrote:
Cade wrote:
tkmattson wrote:
You're a kinder soul than myself at this moment. What I don't get is why is she here if this problem doesn't exist?

LOL. I don't come here often so I missed this nonsense the first time around, and so I was pursuing the thread to see if anyone had asked this. Anyone who willingly submitted to such alledged testing for something she doesn't think exist is probably full of sh** in my book, and she's likely just loving the fact she's taking the more gulliable souls around here for this ride. My money's on her having made up this tale, after doing some amateur psych research on Wiki to get some impressive jargon under her belt (or maybe she's just some dumb, solipsist undergrad who's taken a couple of psych classes and now thinks she's smarter than people with Ph.D.s), and came here posing as someone dx'd just to see if it gave her more cred when she turned around and said AS doesn't exist. There's obvious deception going on here, and I suspect there's a simple, very immature, ego-driven reason for her doing this. Maybe her psych prof laughed at her. Maybe she's mad because a relative has AS and is getting attention and support she wants for herself. Whatever it is, she's obviously attention-seeking if she's drunk-posting on top of her other nonsense.

Stats, you have no cred with me. I'm a 35-year-old, educated, well-read and incredibly intelligent woman with AS who has been working with students with autism and other disorders for about a decade now. Those are my creds. Regardless that I do agree that people with conditions like AS should not define and limit themsleves by a mere diagnosis, and regardless of what wonderfully self-serving pretense you think validates your game, I still think you're full of sh** and that you're lying to the people here about who and what you are. Get over yourself.

I'm quoting this whole thing because I think it bears re-reading. I completely agree with Cade. This person seems deceptive, right down to the frat-boy picture avatar of the supposed "NT BF".

This is the type of strange mob mentality behavior i'm referring to.....I really don't care about either of your "creds" and I realize there's legitimately something wrong with you if you justify treating other people like that.

statschica

26 Mar 2007, 10:33 pm

aylissa wrote:
Cade wrote:
tkmattson wrote:

This is the sort of strange mob mentality behavior I'm referring to.....I don't care what your "creds" are because yes, I do legitimately believe there is something wrong with you if you justify treating another person like this.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 10:45 pm

statschica wrote:
This is the sort of strange mob mentality behavior I'm referring to.....I don't care what your "creds" are because yes, I do legitimately believe there is something wrong with you if you justify treating another person like this.

I can't believe you don't understand that your remarks insulted a group of people. Couldn't you predict that would happen? Do you have Asperger's Syndrome? :lol:

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 11:37 pm

SeriousGirl wrote:
statschica wrote:

I can't believe you don't understand that your remarks insulted a group of people. Couldn't you predict that would happen? Do you have Asperger's Syndrome? :lol:

I'm sure she knows. That was probably the goal. And I DOUBT she has AS. HECK, she HERSELF says AS doesn't exist! If it doesn't exist, FOR HER, she most certainly doesn't have it. I never really liked psychiatrists/psychologists, and the main reason is because everything seems so arbitrary, and labels are given for the smallest things. That kind of behaviour engenders suspicion, and leads people to believe that various conditions don't even exist. It amazes me that I would even CONSIDER seeing one again, if only to quiet some hee on the other side of the fence.

Steve

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 2:21 am

She/he, who knows? I think this thread should be locked. I think this member has consistently violated the first rule:
===================
WrongPlanet Rules
===================

Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet (whether actual content or links to sites with the content):

1. Offensive language and comments.
This includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. (a) language; behaviour intended to provoke (flaming) or belittle other members or groups of members (b); violent or sexually demeaning language or images (c). It includes harassment of any sort, of other members of WP, on the forums

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 7:08 am

I love this thread. I think it's wonderful. It asks and answers all sorts of questions that are floating around in my mind. I hope it keeps going and going and going and going.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 9:07 am

I'll keep this simple, Asperger's is quite real & valid as many other medical conditions within the world despite how often it goes either un-diagonosed or mis-diagnosed. That's my thoughts on this.

tkmattson

27 Mar 2007, 11:34 am

statschica wrote:

Look statschica, no one is persecuting you, heck I even apologized for the virtual beers thrown in your direction, but you've got to understand that your own personal struggles don't determine, and moreover shouldn't question, the validity of others' struggles - which is EXACTLY what you did with the very title of this thread. As for people questioning your creds, and really it has ZERO bearing on my life whether YOU personally have AS or not, however you've made a situation for yourself where you are more or less forcing people to judge you by your words & by your actions.

Some are believing that if it is the case that you REALLY don't understand what you did to tick people off, then that makes a mighty good case that AS might be a suitable avenue/explanation that you might want to consider not closing off the possibility to. Or there is the conclusion that others have come to believe - that you don't have AS, and you are being intentionally cruel - mocking other's lives. The result really is the same, and personally I don't care which scenario is really real, since obviously you won't retract, or reconsider your title, and you have expressed your pseudo science that AS doesn't exist in the first place - your "cred" on ANY topic, be it "Mating Seasons Of The Water Buffalo", ends RIGHT THERE with me. You personally caused the reaction you received, and if you can't see that - then I can't help you (I'm not a doctor, and that would likely be the person you'd want to deal with on that).

statschica

27 Mar 2007, 3:19 pm

I said in another post I don't like many psychologists either. I've never had a single class in psychology and don't intend to because I don't believe in that view of the world! That was my point but people actually can't tolerate other views on here obviously. My degrees are in economics and my job is as a statistician. I know Asperger's exists in so much as it's a common set of symptoms and traits (like many other personality traits) that are passed down from parent to child but that still doesn't make it an excuse to harm other people! My view is this. Just because I am hypersensitive to my environment (something I obviously didn't choose or enjoy or want to be) and have short-term memory processing difficulties which can cause all sorts of problems in my regular day-to-day functioning, that would never give me the right to put down others that are different than me, whether they are freaking NTs or even worse Republicans....j/k....I came to wrong planet to find people I could relate to but I got annoyed because I don't feel like I fit in this "clique" anymore than any other my entire life. And my boyfriend is not some dumb frat guy. He actually didn't graduate from college but he is a freaking computer guy. Geez, you shouldn't judge people based on how they look and learn to treat others how you would like to be treated and then maybe you'll be surprised how people will treat you and you can stop feeling so sorry for yourself.