Exercise makes me extremely sleepy, why?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

LovingTheAlien
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2013, 6:16 am

Hi all

If I go for a run or some other form for physical exercise, I get very sleepy. I have to fight the urge to lie down and sleep in a ditch!
I have never been able to find an explanation, and I have never heard of anyone who has this problem. My best guess is that it might be some sort of overload/shutdown-phenomenon.

Has any of you experienced anything similar?

SaveTigers
Raven
Raven

12 Jun 2013, 7:23 am

I used to have that problem too. I was slightly anemic, so I started taking liquid iron and B-12 supplements and it helps a lot! Also, as I lost weight it got less tiring. I'm not sure if those are your problems, but I hope it helps. :)
Amelia

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm

Don't worry, it's quite normal. When you exercise, your brain produces endorphines. That'll make you sleepy if your body requires rest. Another possibility is that you are slighty dehydrated, which will also make you sleepy. That's easy to remedy by drinking something a few hours before and directly after exercise.

I've got it too, but I know I get overexited all too easily and then I sleep less than I need to.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 7:27 pm

Yeah, I get fatigued quite often. Could also have drowsiness a headache or general tiredness. It's not just when exercising, but doing anything physical, like lifting simple things, housework, cooking or even going shopping.

I often check if I need fluids, salts, sugars or calories but all of those often check out. I did lose 8st of weight has somewhat improved the fatigued somewhat, but still can't do very much of what is expected day to day.

When in this state, I often get sweats, breathlessness and often a worsening of balance problems. I'm looking into it myself through a neurologist, but a quiet room, a shower or a full days rest solves most of this problem.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 10:39 pm

What is your diet like?

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 1:15 am

While you're actually exercising, or afterwards? Afterwards it's perfectly normal. If it's happening while you're exercising, it could be some sort of problem, it could be that you need to eat/drink more beforehand so your body has the energy, or it could just be an individual quirk, particularly if your body isn't accustomed to regular exercise. Also a lack of sleep (obviously) would cause this...I know that when I have a lack of sleep a few particular situations trigger me into dreamland, driving being a big one (I know the signs so I pull over if I feel it coming on)

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2013, 5:46 am

Although some nice exertion everyday can promote a healthy sleep pattern, with a good amount of deep sleep. This is not like sleep for the sedentary.

I find the more active you are, the less the needed for extended sleep that fits the norm of daily schedules. Instead you sleep for 4 hours at night and that is probably all you need. And perhaps be content with having 2x2hr naps instead.

When I have done heavy exercise, I cannot sleep at all. It gives me a massive runners high (even though I dont run) and it lasts all night.

But when active, the times I do sleep. Even if they are just naps, are very good quality sleep.

Being sedentary is completely intolerable.

LovingTheAlien
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm

Thanks guys - sorry for not replying sooner.

I believe my diet is reasonably healthy and I am not anaemic or have other deficiencies. I get enough sleep, food etc. It is not that I exercise excessively and end up being tired for completely natural reasons. Rather, I get tired almost as soon as I start to exercise - even at a rather low level of exercise. I think it is very strange.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 2:20 pm

I get sleepy too after exercise as well. I keep waiting for that nice "high" your supposed to get after exercising and I just want to sleep. :lol:

jminor7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2015, 7:43 pm

Dear LovingtheAlien
I know exactly what you are talking about. When ever I do even the lightest of cardio I start to yawn profusely and must fight the urge to lay down and sleep. The sensation is much more than being tired. It is like someone has given you a sleeping drug and then gravity starts to fight against you. The hardest part is that no one seems to understand what you are talking about when you mention your symptoms. The trainer at my gym told me that I needed to add more variety into my routine to prevent me getting bored! How patronising! I have had this for many years even when I was my ideal weight and was quite fit. I am looking into it more seriously now as it is getting worse so I will keep you posted with whatever I find out. I am very sure it is not something to be accepted as normal.

Your fellow sleepy exerciser
Jminor7

jminor7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2015, 7:57 pm

I was diagnosed with this by my doctor some time it started happening but I didn't really put two and two together...could have something to do with it. I have also had several cycles of anaemia (but mostly Pernissous - B12) rather than iron. And you don't always have to be anaemic when you are suffering side effects of being deficient in Iron, B12 or Folic Acid - as that is the first step before anaemia.