Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

asp123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2013, 2:47 pm

Can you see on autistic People that the brain is not normal? If you look at EEG, headscan or something?
Is autism a braininjury? Or is it just psykical like anxiety forexample?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 3:00 pm

Here is a link to "NIMH - Autism Spectrum Disorder". It should answer all of your questions.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 4:10 pm

asp123 wrote:
Can you see on autistic People that the brain is not normal? If you look at EEG, head scan or something?
Is autism a brain injury? Or is it just physical like anxiety for example?

If you type "brain scan" in the search field above right, and you will see quite a number of previous threads discussing brain scans, EEGs etc.

There are known differences, but science is not fully at a diagnostic scan yet. There is one that is around 80% accurate at the moment, but that's not high enough to be used diagnostically right now.

You can also Google QEEG (a type of special EEG) which does not diagnose autism or find brain differences, but it does show areas of brain that are functioning in particular ways so can contribute to the whole picture.

Brain injury can cause autism-like symptoms but autism is not a brain injury as such. There is also an article about Intense World theory on WP which I think has something about the failure of pruning in the early stages of brain development in autism.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

torquemada
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2013, 6:54 pm

A more detailed brain scan would only be half of the answer. I am coming to the conclusion that there are two main affective elements - the nature of the channels / connections between the left and right brain, and an element of hypothalamic dysfunction affecting the endocrine system.

The range of possible combinations inherent in these differences would present as a "spectrum" of different potential effects sharing baseline similarities in a majority of cases, which can be affected (treated) in many different ways by different methods, from synthetic drugs to vitamins and proprioceptive exercises, with many different potential results depending on individual physical, social, mental and intellectual factors.

These can be further affected or exacerbated by external influences such as pollution, medication, diet / additives, chemical usage/abuse, trauma/stress (physical, emotional and social), and surgery on any part of the exocrine system.

Thus any "presented" or perceived Autistic "traits" or behaviours can be driven by a multitude of causative physical or hormonal effects or interactions within the organism, which is what the externally / perceptually -focused DSM erroneously concentrates on while ignoring the internal imbalances and deficiencies, in an attempt to categorise different"levels" or "types" of Autism.

Diagnostics and therapies need, IMO, a holistic approach beginning with bringing the body's various systems into balance and stabilising the physical organism, ideally prior to the application of psychoactive meds or cognitive therapies.

Note that I have said "affective" and not "causative" elements. I am not confident positing that there is a cause of Autism per se, as the increase in diagnoses could simply be down to greater awareness, greater availability of diagnostic practitioners, or greater population numbers. I do not feel that there is adequate data available for this to be accurately assessed.

In Potentia there could be an external physical cause, there could be a genetic/evolutionary cause, or there could be a genetic cause or even all of these.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 9:08 pm

^ Makes sense.

[speculation]

I wonder sometimes if Autism is not just one "ailment", but a collection of smaller, more discrete disorders that would go un-noticed if only one or two of them were present.

[/speculation]

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2013, 10:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
^ Makes sense.

[speculation]

I wonder sometimes if Autism is not just one "ailment", but a collection of smaller, more discrete disorders that would go un-noticed if only one or two of them were present.

[/speculation]

THAT was the point I was trying to make in my "autism doesn't exist" thread but nobody else realized it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jul 2013, 10:43 pm

I would point out that Fnord marked his thought as speculation. You did not, and appeared to present your ideas as proven facts.

Your descriptions of what autism supposedly really is didn't really line up with existing descriptions of autism.

I am not saying that is not what you really meant. I am trying to point out why you received the reactions you did.

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2013, 10:44 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I would point out that Fnord marked his thought as speculation. You did not, and appeared to present your ideas as proven facts.

Your descriptions of what autism supposedly really is didn't really line up with existing descriptions of autism.

I am not saying that is not what you really meant. I am trying to point out why you received the reactions you did.

Oh well I was just speculating. Oops.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jul 2013, 10:53 pm

MoonCanvas wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Oh well I was just speculating. Oops.

It's fine, we've all had communication mishaps.

I am glad you've had the opportunity to clarify your views beyond that one thread, though.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 2:14 am

It depends on the person. There are many anomalies that are statistically more frequent in autism, but none are 100%. And some autistics appear to have completely normal brains on a brain scan, yet behaviorally test as clearly being on the spectrum.

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2013, 2:35 am

Ettina wrote:
It depends on the person. There are many anomalies that are statistically more frequent in autism, but none are 100%. And some autistics appear to have completely normal brains on a brain scan, yet behaviorally test as clearly being on the spectrum.

It's possible the autistics that appear to have normal brain scans but behaviorally are on the spectrum, might just be non-autistic and merely have personality traits(in this case they're a random occurence) that cause them to seem autistic. I am an example; my brain scan was normal but my personality traits make me appear on the spectrum.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 3:00 am

I've finally opened this thread to see if anyone has discovered what cable in our brain is faulty. Guess the OP meant watchable? :?

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2013, 3:05 am

TallyMan wrote:
I've finally opened this thread to see if anyone has discovered what cable in our brain is faulty. Guess the OP meant watchable? :?

Exactly

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 4:37 am

TallyMan wrote:
I've finally opened this thread to see if anyone has discovered what cable in our brain is faulty.

Until I saw your post I thought he did mean cable, and that this was his crude term for brain connections!

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 4:57 am

whirlingmind wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
I've finally opened this thread to see if anyone has discovered what cable in our brain is faulty.

Until I saw your post I thought he did mean cable, and that this was his crude term for brain connections!

That is how I initially took it - exactly as the OP had posted which left me thinking his choice of words was very simplistic to describe neural connections; but based on someone else's post on the thread it suddenly clicked that maybe he just spelled watchable really badly and gave his thread entirely a different meaning! Only the OP knows what he really meant to say.

:shrug:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 5:22 am

My brain usually just translates typos without noticing. I didn't realize the title was misspelled until you said so.

This sometimes leads me far astray.