Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 2:04 pm

I don't own a TV. It's hard for me to sit still to watch anything; it's not mentally intensive enough and my mind wanders. I used to enjoy some TV shows as a child, but I think I've outgrown most of what's available now. I do watch some things on my computer, for example lectures and youtube videos, but I never just watch something. I'm always doing something else too--crochet or playing a game, usually. The last TV show I watched regularly and liked was History Channel's "Life After People". It's got a lot of interesting information about engineering, biology, history, ecology, and materials sciences, all wrapped up in an intriguing premise: What happens to the world if humans vanish? Highly recommended. I finished a couple of afghans while watching it, and it's available on YouTube now because it's old enough that they don't mind that somebody put it up there.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 3:24 pm

Triple__B wrote:
If it wasn't for my wife being hooked on several shows, I would save $120 a month on cable bill.

Find out if all the shows that your wife watches are available on Netflix. Netflix is only about $9/month.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 3:34 pm

I have a Samsung 55-inch LED TV in my living room and all I use it for is surfing the net. All I got hook to my TV is a PC computer. No cable, antenna, satellite, DVD, Blu-ray or VCR. I have not watch network based TV in over 20 years and I don't miss it one bit. In fact, With the internet and all those VOD services out there. I'm surprised that there are any network base TV services out there.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

I don't really watch any TV. If I like a series, I usually try and find it on DVD or it's usually downloaded on the internet so I watch it on Youtube or something.

I own plenty of videos and DVDs, but I just can't be bothered to get myself into anything on TV. If I get the DVDs, I can then watch it when I want. But I have trouble with focusing on things on TV.

I used to watch TV more when I was a child.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 4:21 pm

I would rather watch movies we have and videos. I am not much of a TV watcher anymore. I have wanted to get rid of cable for two years now but my husband insists we need it for our child. :roll: We live with my parents now so they watch cable sometimes so we can't cancel it now.

Oh yeah my husband had a flat screen TV in our son's room and my mother kept telling me he doesn't need it in there. So finally I was cleaning and I decided to do some rearranging and I took the TV off the dresser and put it in the closet with the PS3 and games and closed it and put my son's stuffed animals on the dresser so they are not all crowded on top of the bookshelf.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Last edited by League_Girl on 17 Jul 2013, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm

I dont actually watch the tv but its always on because I need the noise or it gets too quiet

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 3:53 am

Zilch. If only all that other brain hebetation in the world had an on/off knob.

EQ: 6.

timatron
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2013, 4:29 am

Yeah I can't stand tv, I'm usually daydreaming or doing something with my obsessions.

Unless of course Macgyver is on...

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2013, 8:14 am

kx250rider wrote:
Ironically, I haven't had any interest in watching TV, except for the news & weather early every morning, in 20 years. And the news is just in the background, and I listen to bits of it while seldom turning to look at the screen. I said ironically, because I own over 300 TV sets. I'm a vintage TV collector and TV technology nut.

Charles

That's awesome and ironic indeed.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2013, 8:17 am

League_Girl wrote:
....Oh yeah my husband had a flat screen TV in our son's room and my mother kept telling me he doesn't need it in there. So finally I was cleaning and I decided to do some rearranging and I took the TV off the dresser and put it in the closet with the PS3 and games and closed it and put my son's stuffed animals on the dresser so they are not all crowded on top of the bookshelf.

Nice!

Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2013, 8:22 am

LupaLuna wrote:
Triple__B wrote:
If it wasn't for my wife being hooked on several shows, I would save $120 a month on cable bill.

Find out if all the shows that your wife watches are available on Netflix. Netflix is only about $9/month.

Yeah we have Netflix and she was finally on board as long as we could add Hulu as well, but then she found that one of her shows doesn't come on either one, and she's not willing to give up the show. :( She doesn't really watch much tv herself, but she has about 4 or 5 shows that she dvr's and then watches them all at once.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 9:20 am

Not watched for like 10 years.

Commercials. bad tv shows, reality tv. reruns. having to wait for stuff to start. we live in 2013 last time i checked. Stuff should start when i want it to.

Thats why i watch my stuff on PC

WhatHazard
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2013, 11:20 am

I don't watch T.V anymore, I do watch some shows on Netflix but not very often. I can barley stand watching T.V or when anyone else does I'm tempted to leave the room, especially when someone has the volume up high and then they try to talk to me over that, I will just walk off eventually.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 11:26 am

I don't watch live TV anymore. I do watch TV shows, but I download them so I don't have to watch commercials or pay for cable.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:12 pm

loner1984 wrote:
we live in 2013 last time i checked. Stuff should start when i want it to. Thats why i watch my stuff on PC

That's the reason why I only have the PC hooked up to my TV in the living room.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:58 pm

I watch television from now and then. (Even the normal one.) but hate it if people use television as "so the house doesnt have an empty impact all time." O_o My father did that, normally some minutes after he went home, the dumb television was running in the living room, and you heard the s**t through the whole house.

When it comes to series, I prefer to watch them on Internet or an DVD collection, I dont like it, if there are always so long time between 45 minutes episodes. So sometimes I have a specific series moment, and then I want to watch some episodes in a row, this gives me also the chance to choose to watch them when I want and are in the mood for them.

I dont like the advertisements on TV, they are getting more and more weird to get your attention, also that they are usually normally louder then the programm I watch. During the last years I prefer more and more non USA films. Its not about the USA specific, but beside Hollywood there are rarely other countries having money for tons of special effects and BANG-BOOM-BLAST 30 minutes street huntings... and so they concentrate instead normally on the film and not on special effects. Doesnt mean that there werent such US-films as well, but if I see its from scandinavia there is pretty less chance for it to be an special effects action film. ^^

My partner was as well an all-day-TV-running person, but I always needed to separate myself, because of the noise and so he started to pay himself more attention, when he is really watching something on TV, and when he simply had the television running, so that it creates noise. When we started our relationship, it was hard for him to imagine not to have a kids room including an television, but now he says himself, that he doesnt want a kid to have its own television in the kids room, because its simply leads to easy to let the TV run simply because of you are bored, and not because you are interested into the program. Nothing bad about watching something, because you are really interested in it, but you shouldnt do it because of being bored and being to lazy to think of something you would be interested to do instead. :)