Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 5:49 pm

franknfurter wrote:
I wish I could have the guts to say something to people when I am on public transport, I have a balance disorder that makes standing on transport a very difficult thing to do and it can affect me for ages after having to do it but I cant imagine asking someone for their seat trying to explain that I have a problem, again because its not an obvious physical problem people are suspicious even more so because I look like a healthy young teenager.

I started carrying a folding cane, because a balance disorder was interfering with balancing on public transit (made worse by vestibular hyperacusis). The cane made it easier to balance, and the cane also meant I didn't need to ask, because the cane made it an "obvious physical problem", because I was holding a cane.

I don't want anyone to take advantage of that, and am afraid people would if they realize that it works, but if you struggle that much with a balance disorder, a cane for times it affects you most, like standing while stuff is moving, makes sense.

(For me it wasn't so much facing the prejudice that was a problem as "speaking to a person on public transit" - when I'm using my cane I still won't ask someone for the seat, but frequently people get up depending on where I am, though I've also had someone push me out of the way to get the last seat, and needs to go to search for seating that don't actually work with my disability because I just need to sit down at all, because I just won't ask)

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 11:37 am

AspE wrote:
Please stop with the belly dancing. That is all.

I just read your vile PM. No, I am not going to crochet tea cozys rather than belly dance [what IS a tea cozy?] I want to tell you a few things. The medication I am on to stay alive puts more than half of its' users into a wheelchair. Some, because of the SEs' just give up and die. I am tHRILLED that I can still move. I am also aware that the dancing might be what is keeping me out of the chair. When I dance, I not only celebrate being a woman, I celebrate life itself. PLUS I make money.

As I mentioned before, I do wear a body stocking under my costume, but I have had 6 surgeries in a year and a half and some of those scars will still show and I am NOT ashamed.

I get to know women on breastcancer.org, and so many of these precious women are so uncomfortable with their 'new" bodies that they do not even allow their own husbands to see them. that is because of attitudes like YOURS!

I am old.I am wrinkled. I have scars and sags. I am beautiful. If you cannot rejoice with me, maybe you should crochet a tea cozy.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 12:39 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
AspE wrote:

I just read your vile PM. No, I am not going to crochet tea cozys rather than belly dance [what IS a tea cozy?] I want to tell you a few things. The medication I am on to stay alive puts more than half of its' users into a wheelchair. Some, because of the SEs' just give up and die. I am tHRILLED that I can still move. I am also aware that the dancing might be what is keeping me out of the chair. When I dance, I not only celebrate being a woman, I celebrate life itself. PLUS I make money.

As I mentioned before, I do wear a body stocking under my costume, but I have had 6 surgeries in a year and a half and some of those scars will still show and I am NOT ashamed.

I get to know women on breastcancer.org, and so many of these precious women are so uncomfortable with their 'new" bodies that they do not even allow their own husbands to see them. that is because of attitudes like YOURS!

I am old.I am wrinkled. I have scars and sags. I am beautiful. If you cannot rejoice with me, maybe you should crochet a tea cozy.
You go Girl! Well said Vicky!

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 12:41 pm

Tea cozies:
BTW, I happen to have this exact teapot and tea and dish service! :D

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CEIQ9QEwBg

Here is a knit one:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CEAQ9QEwBQ

Wreck It Ralph

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 1:45 pm

AspE wrote:

What's wrong with it?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 3:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
AspE wrote:

What's wrong with it?
I think it's great that Vicky does that. It is so good for her. I don't understand why you, AspE, have a problem with it either. If you, AspE do not like it you don't have to go see her do it. I am waiting for you, AspE, to answer League Girl's question too. I am so wondering what is wrong with Vicky dancing if she wants to. She is dressed appropriately, she is not doing anything offensive, she is staying alive and healthy and having a great time and making people aware of her causes and making a little money too. And apparently the place where she does it does not have any problem with her doing it. I think it's brilliant.

Wreck It Ralph

LovingTheAlien
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2013, 5:07 pm

skibum wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:
AspE wrote:

I second that. Vicky, you rock! Keep on rockin' <3

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 6:24 pm

LovingTheAlien wrote:
skibum wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:
AspE wrote:

I third that. You and your words are beautiful. :) :hail:

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 7:22 pm

I also think it's great that you do belly dancing, Vicky. :D :thumleft:

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

opal
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 4:17 am

alpineglow wrote:
LovingTheAlien wrote:
skibum wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:
AspE wrote:

I third that. You and your words are beautiful. :) :hail:

Fourthed! :hail: Do what you wanna do , be what you wanna be YEAH! :dj:

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2013, 7:33 am

Since being diagnosed last month, I have been totally playing the autism card. Mainly because it works for me.