Talking......takes so much effort sometimes.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2013, 12:12 am

Just wondering if anyone else feels this way?....

Some days, talking feels like it takes so much effort to do. Even just a few words in a short response to someone, the amount of effort it takes me to muster a response feels like I'm being asked to lift weights or something. I'm a really quiet person as it is (in school, some people didn't think I spoke at all lol), but sometimes it's ridiculous how tiring talking can be. On days when it is like this for me, I'll go through out the entire day with out saying a word unless someone asks me something...and even then it's only a few words unless I have to elaborate with a lengthy response. I'm also asked to speak louder or repeat myself often as well, but then I feel like I'm yelling, and speaking that loudly takes an even larger amount of effort and energy.

Even if there's something I actually want to say or speak about, getting all that into words takes a lot of effort sometimes so I'll just not talk.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 12:23 am

Yes, it does, and so does writing.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 12:39 am

In the words of Moby: "Plain talking... can take us so far..."

I think the disproportional effort many of us put into verbal responses is a large component of the dense logic so many NTs can't handle. It's the modern condition, not being expected to give thought out answers, but expected answers and homogenous bodies of work.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

loosewheel
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2013, 1:32 am

Yes, I finds this too. You know what you mean but it's just so much work to put it into words. I've often wished “Can't you just reach in here and get it, instead of me sending it to you.” The only consolation is that I find reading and writing far more difficult. What would be termed today as a learning disability. So talking is still far easier. Words were never my first language.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 2:36 am

btbnnyr wrote:

There are, strangely enough, days when it's easier for me to explain something to someone in person than it is to write it out. Werds r hard.

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2013, 3:08 am

FishStickNick wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

There are, strangely enough, days when it's easier for me to explain something to someone in person than it is to write it out. Werds r hard.

I actually find it easier to explain things through writing. I have had times where what I said or did was heavily ostracized but when I wrote a letter explaining what my thought process was, I found that people understood where I was coming from in a clearer light.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 3:12 am

Roninninja wrote:
FishStickNick wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

I actually find it easier to explain things through writing. I have had times where what I said or did was heavily ostracized but when I wrote a letter explaining what my thought process was, I found that people understood where I was coming from in a clearer light.

Normally this is the case for me too, but there are instances where the opposite is true. It's like I don't want to have to deal with trying to sequence words in a written statement. I write for a living, though, so I can get a little tired of writing sometimes.

jerry00
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2013, 3:41 am

I sometimes wonder if I have some other kind of condition because for me everything seems overwhelmingly difficult from brushing my teeth to learning a new language. I wonder where I'm going to get the energy from to do it. But I don't have a lack of energy generally I'm just unable to use it in the most constructive way.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 10:58 am

I kinda agree with the OP. When I have phone conversations with friends, there'll always be a moment when I pause and struggle to think of some way to extend the conversation, since I like those people so much. Half the time I'll get something out eventually, the other half I'll just say "nice talking to you, just wanted to check in" and say goodbye.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 1:37 pm

jerry00 wrote:
I sometimes wonder if I have some other kind of condition because for me everything seems overwhelmingly difficult from brushing my teeth to learning a new language. I wonder where I'm going to get the energy from to do it. But I don't have a lack of energy generally I'm just unable to use it in the most constructive way.

Spoons.
This was written by a woman with Lupus but it can apply to AS/ASD just as well imho, especially if like many of us you have other issues sensory, pain, etc.:
The Spoon Theory

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 7:04 pm

I didn't know that was a problem for some people.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 7:44 pm

Soham wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else feels this way?....

Yes, I can relate.

Love transcends all.

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2013, 7:54 pm

I seem to have this problem on a daily basis anymore. More than once I've had to write a letter to a supervisor at work because I just couldn't explain something that I needed to. It can sometimes be difficult to write things out too, though.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 8:29 pm

I don't know why language functions are so much harder for me than other brain functions. I have no problem doing many tasks for long periods like programming from morning to morning, and visual spatial comes so easily and doesn't ever go bad, but I find it hard to write a paragraph to summarize something, and language is first to go when I am tired.