Is anyone else here extremely clumsy?

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 4:00 am

woodster wrote:
yup, very clumsy. too many stories to count. How about, holding a drink, looking down to the floor and the drink tips as your head tips.

it's like a lot of us types have a one-track mind/motor cortex, unable to walk/talk/chew gum at the same time. :oops:

WarWraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2013, 5:15 am

Yup. Clumsy as. I've always been un-coordinated, and it's eaten at me for most of my life.

I can't play computer games requiring good hand-eye coordination, and I tend to hit a plateau in anything requiring constantly improving coordination (eg. playing guitar).

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 8:47 am

I could be the new Mrbean in that area. Its pretty frustrating though.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 9:16 am

My hand-eye coordination is actually pretty good I'd say.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 9:19 am

loner1984 wrote:
I could be the new Mrbean in that area. Its pretty frustrating though.

In recent years, I have often felt that I'm a kind of Frank-Spencer-type of character (from the TV show Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em). I am rather clumsy, which is a leftover from my delayed motorics development (not just the fine motorics, but in general). I trip over stuff, I walked into a glass plate a couple of months ago, I dropped my ID-card, PT-card, ATM card and everything just last week when I was attempting to check out at the train station, et cetera.

I think it's annoying, too, because I usually like to fashion myself as kind of the aloof, brooding loner type, and this image really isn't helped when you're stumbling over your own feet all the time. :P

I don't like to be viewed as the group clown, but I've come to the realisation that I won't be anywhere until I accept the clumsier side of myself.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 1:59 am

Oh my lord. Clumsy should be my middle name. People don't even blink when I get hurt now. They just ask "What did you do to yourself this time?" It would take days to name all the ways I've injured myself over the years, so I'll just hit the highlights...

-- Have a scar under my chin from falling against the TV when I was two. Got a couple of stitches.
-- Have large scars on both feet from bad cuts. One happened when I jumped on a broken bottle playing "potato sack race" in a parking lot, and the other cut my ankle while playing hide and seek and stepping on another broken bottle
-- Broke a front tooth (repaired) and my right elbow getting off a bus. I fell and landed face first on the concrete.
-- Leaned near a burning stick of incense to enjoy the smell and sniffed a hot cinder up my nose.
-- Fell in the bathtub and slammed face first against the faucet. Broke the cartilage in my nose.
-- Broke my left elbow and right big toe knuckle in a fall in my garage
-- Broke wrist in a fall off my bike.
-- Pulled a muscle in my back when I slipped on our back porch
-- Have severely cut my left index finger three different times.
-- Nearly broke a rib in another bike accident.

The list above doesn't include all the sprains, burns, cuts, scrapes, broken toes and bruises I've gotten over the years.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2013, 6:06 am

Webalina wrote:
-- Leaned near a burning stick of incense to enjoy the smell and sniffed a hot cinder up my nose.

Nooo! happened to me recently, went to smell something and it went right up my nose. Thankfully it wasnt alight.

reading yours reminded me of a few myself.

going over handlebars on my bike. Coming off a motorbike when i was about 12. Man, so many others.

Bluth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2013, 6:18 am

woodster wrote:
yup, very clumsy. too many stories to count. How about, holding a drink, looking down to the floor and the drink tips as your head tips.

Happened to me too :) I also trip over literally every doorstep I come across :roll:

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 6:56 am

knocking things over by accident, falling, dropping things and bumping into things is my specialty (even if i dont want it to be)

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2013, 7:17 am

Bluth wrote:
woodster wrote:

Happened to me too :) I also trip over literally every doorstep I come across :roll:

i once did it in a pub with alcohol, everybody turned and laughed at me :oops:

Bluth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2013, 9:14 am

woodster wrote:
Bluth wrote:
woodster wrote:

I did at party, so I everyone thought I was just really drunk :) I always tried drink from bottles in public places since then :P
Anyway, I just remembered that when I was 8 or so, I ran into a pole during a running contest, people never seem to forget that and it was probably the single most humiliating moment of my life. I still feel bad thinking about it :(

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2013, 9:47 am

Bluth wrote:
woodster wrote:
Bluth wrote:
woodster wrote:

I did at party, so I everyone thought I was just really drunk :) I always tried drink from bottles in public places since then :P
Anyway, I just remembered that when I was 8 or so, I ran into a pole during a running contest, people never seem to forget that and it was probably the single most humiliating moment of my life. I still feel bad thinking about it :(

did i mention that i actually tipped the drink fully into my lap?

People made a big deal about that for months :). Least you were only a kid :).

Bluth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2013, 10:03 am

woodster wrote:
Bluth wrote:
woodster wrote:
Bluth wrote:
woodster wrote:

I guess :) That doesn't seem to stop people from reminding me of it every month or so :roll:

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 11:55 pm

Bluth wrote:
woodster wrote:
Bluth wrote:
woodster wrote:
Bluth wrote:
woodster wrote:

I guess :) That doesn't seem to stop people from reminding me of it every month or so :roll:

My brother (non-Aspie) did something very similar years ago. He was sitting in a chair holding a glass of iced tea. He decided to stretch. He put his arms up and over his head, and dumped his glass out behind him onto the floor. I'm told -- I unfortunately didn't get to witness the event -- that everyone in the room saw it about to happen but nobody could speak soon enough to stop it. I would love to make fun of my brother for it, but he's one of those people who you aren't allowed to bring up such things, although it's OK if he brings up stupid things that others have done.

Al725
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2013, 12:06 am

Great stories guys. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I still have a scar on my face from when I was 10. I was running to catch a football that my friend threw and smacked face first right into a parked car. Got 10 stitches and a scar on the side of my eye to remind me of this for life. Of course it was only the beginning :(

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 12:46 am

Al725 wrote:
Great stories guys. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I still have a scar on my face from when I was 10. I was running to catch a football that my friend threw and smacked face first right into a parked car. Got 10 stitches and a scar on the side of my eye to remind me of this for life. Of course it was only the beginning :(

^^^OUCH!! !