Susan Boyle's diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome, a curse?

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 1:44 pm

I would definitely have to say that I am closer to a "Susan Boyle" type personality than a Temple Grandin or stereotypical Star Trek or computer nerd or Einstein type personality. I am a little more outgoing than she is but I believe that if she were my next door neighbor we would be fast and furious friends. I do not mind having a regular, a lot like me person as a represenative [just don't ask me to sing]

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 1:45 pm

I would definitely have to say that I am closer to a "Susan Boyle" type personality than a Temple Grandin or stereotypical Star Trek or computer nerd or Einstein type personality. I am a little more outgoing than she is but I believe that if she were my next door neighbor we would be fast and furious friends. I do not mind having a regular, a lot like me person as a represenative [just don't ask me to sing]

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Dec 2013, 1:54 pm

Dan0192837465 wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Okay, so Mozart and the Whale is also about real life autistic people (Jerry and Mary Newport).

What is the problem with real-life autistic people being in the public eye. What is your complaint?

Who is that question aimed towards?

You, because you are complaining about an autistic woman being publicly visible as autistic, and signing on to the "Mozart and the Whale is hate speech" complaint even though that film was based on a true story written by two autistic people.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 2:15 pm

Dan0192837465 wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:
Look: the reason the media is lapping it all up is because this is what they think:

Asperger's = weirdo = savant/genius I find this equation utterly repulsive.

Has any of you seen any of that film "Mozart and the Whale?" I walked out. It was every frucking stereotype you could imagine. The writers of that movie should be charged for a hate crime as far as I'm concerned.

What if there was a movie about gay people with those kinds of stereotypes? Can you imagine the outrage?

I am not a weirdo. I am not a savant/genius.

Sorry, but I'm very angry at the way the media depicts us.

Here is the real equation: Asperger's = a rich, but difficult, life

Eventually, someone that gets it. A perfect point well described, thanks.

So you equate Aspergers to a hidden condition that makes life difficult for you even though you appear normal and people don't understand your struggles. You are embarrassed to be associated with people who are obviously socially awkward.
I am socially awkward and I have been perceived as being weird, pathetic, eccentric, stupid, something wrong with me, not playing with a full deck, crazy, timid, etc. These are all things that people have actually used to describe me, just because I don't appear normal. I have also been perceived as an intelligent nerd.
It would be nice for people to be educated and aware that if some one appears to be a little off, that they may actually be neurologically different and should be understood and not made fun of and looked down upon any more than you would look down upon and make fun of a blind person.

Dan0192837465
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Dec 2013, 2:45 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Dan0192837465 wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Okay, so Mozart and the Whale is also about real life autistic people (Jerry and Mary Newport).

What is the problem with real-life autistic people being in the public eye. What is your complaint?

Who is that question aimed towards?

You, because you are complaining about an autistic woman being publicly visible as autistic, and signing on to the "Mozart and the Whale is hate speech" complaint even though that film was based on a true story written by two autistic people.

For some unbeknownst reason you've got a vendetta, because I've had previous run-ins with you before and you are always confrontational and want to provoke a hostile reaction out of me. It deterred me from this site for months. I don't want to converse with a person whose primary goal is to always take a contrary position to myself, on purpose I'm guessing. So I'm not going to rise to the bait deliberately. Call me a self-loathing Aspie or whatever you want, I don't care! I don't know you enough to respect you, so I don't give a monkeys what you think or say. You're not important for your opinion to matter. I won't be taking part this time in wasting hours replying and expending energy, engaging in puerile conversations with you. So goodbye forever, I shall not be responding further to you.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 2:49 pm

The number you have dialled is invalid.

I had to try it though. :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 5:52 pm

I don't suffer from AS. I suffer from the ignorance of people who see me in a negative light.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 5:52 pm

I don't suffer from AS. I embrace it.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 6:31 pm

If my post angered any of you, I am sorry. Sometimes I use the wrong words to say what I am trying to say, and I can end up hurting people when I don't mean to. So I want to clarify something:

I don't think any one of us is "weird." I used that word because I think that is the media's view of who we are. I've been called "weird" plenty of times in my life and I don't like it one bit.

As for the movie, I didn't think it was true to life. That's what I didn't like. It's just my opinion.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Dec 2013, 7:11 pm

Dan0192837465 wrote:
For some unbeknownst reason you've got a vendetta, because I've had previous run-ins with you before and you are always confrontational and want to provoke a hostile reaction out of me. It deterred me from this site for months. I don't want to converse with a person whose primary goal is to always take a contrary position to myself, on purpose I'm guessing. So I'm not going to rise to the bait deliberately. Call me a self-loathing Aspie or whatever you want, I don't care! I don't know you enough to respect you, so I don't give a monkeys what you think or say. You're not important for your opinion to matter. I won't be taking part this time in wasting hours replying and expending energy, engaging in puerile conversations with you. So goodbye forever, I shall not be responding further to you.

I have no idea who you are and I do not have any recollection of ever interacting with you previously. I am sorry that you are reading hostility and vendetta into my words but there's basically only two people I come close to feeling that way about on this forum and you are neither of them. I'm asking an honest question: What's wrong with being an openly autistic public figure? What is your complaint here?

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 7:14 pm

Susan Boyle's first fame came before I ever came to this website. Back in those days, I was pretty sure I was Autistic, but had no concept of what Autism truly is about. Then I came here and realized that there is no doubt I am autistic, and that there are tons of people just like me (I had no idea of that, thought i was practically alone).

Having said that, as soon as I read what happened to her and how mean Simon was to her at first (I've never seen the show), and then seeing how awkward she was, my first thought was, "she's like me." Unfortunately, she seems to garner much more ridicule than she does praise. Well that's my estimation anyway, I don't read People magazine or anything.

This is what I think, we are who we are and trying to get a "pretty" face of Asperger's into the public eye, is pointless. If we want them to accept us as we are, they need to see those of us that are pretty and those of us that aren't and those of us that are clumsy and those of that aren't. We need all of us doing our best. So yay for Susan.

Also, I don't think anybody said anything hostile on this thread, Verdandi just gets a little excited sometimes! :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 7:16 pm

Ah, a quick google reveals the truth, or at least another thread titled "Would you prefer shuffling off this mortal coil or to..."

Since you misrepresented my interactions with you on that thread, I suppose it's only fair to link it so that others can draw their own conclusions:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt234488.html

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 7:17 pm

wozeree wrote:
Also, I don't think anybody said anything hostile on this thread, Verdandi just gets a little excited sometimes! :lol:

I wasn't even excited! It just looked like the entire complaint was "Susan Boyle is a public figure and is known to be autistic." Is there more substance to it? Did I miss something? :oops:

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 7:28 pm

Well I don't want to be talking for the two guys who made the posts, but that wasn't how I read them. i thought they were just talking about stereotypes and how Susan is being made fun of because she fits the stereotype. I didn't see anything about not wanting to be associated with her.

I kind of understand, i hate the book about the Dog in the Night for the same reason. If you have asperberger's your can't feel empathy. Stereotype.

We need to be portrayed as a rich and diverse community (is what I think they were saying).

edit - ha asperberger's

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 7:32 pm

Fair enough, and I agree.

We won't be a rich and diverse community if we pick and choose who gets to be seen, though. Which is a general comment not aimed at anyone.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2013, 3:09 am

there are"blowers" and "suckers" in the world of entertainment,

people that "blow" chart new ground, and people who "suck" recreate old ground.

what is it to be? there is validity in both poles.