what is the one myth about asperger/autism that bothers you

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 6:49 pm

Callista wrote:
The idea that autistics are actually superior, or the next step in evolution.

That's the one that bothers me the most too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 7:12 pm

Other annoying myths:

• Autism is caused by an improper diet / A proper diet will cure Autism.
  • Autism is caused by vaccines / Chelation will cure Autism.
  • Autism is caused by sin and demonic influence / Prayer will cure Autism.
  • Autism is caused by proximity to high-tension power lines / Moving away from high-tension power lines will cure Autism.
  • People lacking in proper and formal medical training know more about what causes and cures Autism than do people who have received the proper and formal medical training.
  • People with Autism automatically know why other Autistic people behave the way they do.
  • People with Autism have the ability to identify other Autistic people; even if they've never met those others, or if those others have been dead for decades.
  • People with Autism are the next step in human evolution.
  • People with Autism are human-space alien hybrids.
  • People with Autism are human-neanderthal hybrids.
  • People with Autism are descendents of Atlanteans, Nephilim, or Olympians.
  • People with Autism are magically or psychically talented.
  • Autism doesn't exist.
  • Autism can be beaten, disciplined or otherwise 'tortured' out of a child.
  • Autistic people do not want friends.
  • Autism is just a childhood 'phase' that most people simply grow out of.
  • If you believe that you have Autism, then that's all of the proof that you will ever need to claim social entitlements for disability.
There are many more similarly annoying myths, but these will do for a start.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 7:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
[*] People with Autism are human-space alien hybrids.

[

You mean I'm not? Now I have an identity crisis! :)

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
What AS/ASD myth do I hate the most?

It's a tossup between the myth that we're all just like "Rainman" at one extreme, and "Slingblade" at the other, and the myth that we're all bed-wetters, fire-starters, and torturers of small animals.

I have a small yard, 1.20m on 2.40m.
When I need to clean it I need hours to do it as I first take care of all insects living there like spiders, ants, flies and smaller ones I cannot identify.
I do not want them or get hurt or killed so I assemble them on a safe spot.
Last year work had to be done by removing plants, but it seemed, that a lot of little animals lived in there.
I was scared to give them over to the biological trash (meaning plants with insects), because I did not wanted the plants or insects to get hurt.
My partner told me, that they all go to one big compost (don't know if this is right english word).
I agreed as they would continue living.
Then heard later that there is no big compost but it gets burned.
I don't know, what is true, my partner would not tell me.
But the picture of the plants and insects dying hurts me, because I did not want to hurt them.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 7:55 pm

Agathon wrote:
That we are robots.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HiRjblCypw[/youtube]

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 8:31 pm

wozeree wrote:
Fnord wrote:
[*] People with Autism are human-space alien hybrids.

You mean I'm not? Now I have an identity crisis! :)
Well, hey, maybe we all are. There's an idea floating around that Earth life came from outer space to begin with, either in the form of single cells or perhaps just the building blocks for them. Which would mean we're all aliens, NT and autistic alike. It's kind of out-there as far as ideas go, but it's not totally impossible. Earth is unusually young for the amount of time we've had life--it would've had to start just as soon as the Earth was cool enough not to vaporize it. So the idea is that instead of getting a really lucky break with our first self-replicating cells, we got them delivered from space via meteorite express.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 9:30 pm

<--- Yay! He's a space alien. Well, that clears things up.

ammmartin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2014, 10:00 pm

The fact that me and other aspies , with our inability to relate to one another, is seen as cold, uncaring, and even asexual which is the worst thing about how neurotypicals view Aspergers and autism or just seen as plain weird.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 11:38 pm

From personal experience people on the internet don't believe I am autistic (not that they think I am lying) because I seem to perceptive, too witty, too good at making jokes, too good at giving advice to other teens. Mind you that is their assessment of me, not my assessment of myself. But I take it as a complement and it encourages me that I have made a lot of progress towards HFA. The thing I try to make clear is that autism doesn't have to do with lack of intelligence but rather that the autistic brain processes stuff differently.

cattails
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Jan 2014, 11:49 pm

that we can't read social cues. some of us are too uncomfortable to look around and at faces so we don't see the cues. some of us can read expressions but not fast enough to catch everything while in a busy or stressful situation. but some of us are fascinated (obsessed!) and study expressions and social stuff and I tell you, it can be learned. We're developmentally delayed, not dead!!

cattails
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Jan 2014, 11:52 pm

that we have no sense of humor. my Dad was funny, therefore we are funny. It also can be learned from tv.

shortcircuit3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2014, 12:13 am

while i am not non-verbal, it bothers me that people think non-speaking autistics aren't intellectually capable or aware (because so many people believe that if intelligence/awareness isn't demonstrated in a very specific way, then it cannot be there).

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 12:21 am

1. That autistic people don't have empathy.

2. Autistic people are psychopaths and prone to violence.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:56 am

That we're all naive and so gullible.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 6:20 am

shortcircuit3 wrote:
while i am not non-verbal, it bothers me that people think non-speaking autistics aren't intellectually capable or aware (because so many people believe that if intelligence/awareness isn't demonstrated in a very specific way, then it cannot be there).

They used to always say stuff about me as if i could not understand them. i understood everything. Sometimes as a joke they would say "what do you think Ezra?" like ppl do to a baby :(

Latinist
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2014, 6:24 am

1. That we don't have empathy. Nonsense.

2. ''But you don't seem to have difficulties at all!'' Just because it is an invisible thing, just because I hide my real self and leave it at home, it doesn't mean I don't have to work extremely hard to make friends, or that I don't suffer pain from the slightest noise. :(