Anyone watch Channel 4's documentary; 'The Undatebables' ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dan0192837465
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2014, 5:38 pm

Does anybody else think (like I certainly do) Channel 4's documentary 'The Undateables', is unevenly stacked towards featuring heavily laden episodes of ASD sufferes, apposed to any other condition? Can someone tell me the reason why a programme needs to contain a ratio that outweighs the number of separate disabilities, non-ASD related? So far the series hasn't concluded yet, maybe they'll have another ASD person making an appearance, who knows? From my basic maths, it works out six Autistic/Aspergers Syndrome disorders are included over three series. Wouldn't one person suffice with ASD, and be enough for one episode a series?

Rabbers
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2014, 7:01 pm

Being cynical - it's probably because people with asd make better viewing. The ones with a physical disability are going on a date with someone who has already seen their profile and the dates are generally uneventful. For the same reason the people on there with tourettes syndrome always have swearing tics when the majority of people with tourettes don't.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2014, 7:16 pm

i really dislike that show as i feel it is basically looked upon by normal people as a modern take on a Victorian freak show and viewed only for morbid curiosity by most iv heard talk about it

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2014, 1:53 am

I decided to watch snippets of the show you were speaking about, and I agree with the original poster. The show is just to get ratings up, and not make the country understand what we have to deal with. They just don't care.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 2:08 am

Reality TV, the modern freak show. Yeah, see, this is why I don't watch that crap.

...well, I don't even have a TV, but with this kind of stuff on the air, why would I even want to buy one?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2014, 2:16 am

yes its sad but when has anything on tv ever been about helping people to understand anything most people are too stupid or just too ignorant to understand or care about things that don't affect their lives anyway

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 5:41 am

Frankly I find the idea of a show exploiting anyone's disability, regardless of what it is, and labelling such people "undatable" for the sake of entertainment to be repugnant. I'm surprised such a show is allowed to be aired. If they got a black person on an episode and claimed he/she was "undatable" because of their skin colour, everyone would be in an uproar. Why should the disabled sit back and accept such treatment?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 5:51 am

Callista wrote:
Reality TV, the modern freak show. Yeah, see, this is why I don't watch that crap.

...well, I don't even have a TV, but with this kind of stuff on the air, why would I even want to buy one?

I have just gotten rid of my tv due to all the bollocks on it. Well I still have the set as I still own a few dvds (i really still like old black and white classic movies and musicals as well as a few more modern programs such as Xena, Starsky and Hutch, Knightrider and The Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby and Louie Ferrigno) and I use it to watch those sometimes (if I am not using the computer). Also I can't sleep at night without a favourite film or documentary on (I set the timer so it switches off when I nod off) so I keep it for that reason also. However I no longer have a TV license and I don't watch TV as it is aired anymore (it is not hooked up to receive any outside signals).

I sometimes download stuff off the internet but I am mostly just interest in Evgeny Kissin stuff on youtube right now as well as the carry on films, which I am saving to hard drive as the don't have the dvds yet.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 5:52 am

To the OP

I do not watch the program you speak of.

I had this issue at the hairdressers a few weeks ago. She was talking about celebrity big brother but I had no idea who all the people were in it. I don't watch those kinds of thing on telly. When I did have regular TV I mostly watched old movies and documentaries.

I like old movies and documentaries.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 5:54 am

Why were the people with ASDs considered undatable?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 12:41 pm

bumble wrote:
Why were the people with ASDs considered undatable?
Because the NTs running the show had a stereotypical idea of who was dateable, and anybody who wasn't their idea of the perfect date didn't fit into it.

Autism Memorial:

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2014, 4:02 pm

I've never watched the show because its basic premise sounds unwatchable. I don't doubt that they'll feature people with autism on their show. Anything to appease the insensitive, moronic masses and give them something to feel better about themselves.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 9:27 pm

It was kind of entertaining.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 12:23 am

Aspies do get dates. The main difference seems to be that they don't really start dating when they're teenagers, like NTs do, maybe because they just can't deal with teenage drama at an age where they're barely figuring out socializing themselves. More commonly, an Aspie will start dating in the late twenties and early thirties. My mom, for example (an Aspie if ever there was one), was married for the first time in her early thirties to her first boyfriend.

It makes me sad that Aspies who are younger, or not as advanced socially, or whatever, hate themselves so much because they have been told so often that because they aren't dating they're not worth very much. They think that they'll never connect with anybody because they've never had a date at sixteen or they're virgins at twenty-five. Sometimes you have to wait until you're old enough to have had some practice, and the people around you are old enough to be sensible about your awkwardness.

Autism Memorial:

Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 12:50 am

Callista wrote:
Aspies do get dates. The main difference seems to be that they don't really start dating when they're teenagers, like NTs do, maybe because they just can't deal with teenage drama at an age where they're barely figuring out socializing themselves. More commonly, an Aspie will start dating in the late twenties and early thirties. My mom, for example (an Aspie if ever there was one), was married for the first time in her early thirties to her first boyfriend.

It makes me sad that Aspies who are younger, or not as advanced socially, or whatever, hate themselves so much because they have been told so often that because they aren't dating they're not worth very much. They think that they'll never connect with anybody because they've never had a date at sixteen or they're virgins at twenty-five. Sometimes you have to wait until you're old enough to have had some practice, and the people around you are old enough to be sensible about your awkwardness.

It's not just not dating, society pushes on you the idea that losing your virginity isn't just a goal, it's the only goal, when you're in high school..

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2014, 1:24 am

honestly i still don't think im ready emotionally for a relationship let a lone back in my school days