Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PrinCessChrisTinA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2005, 6:05 pm

Hi :D

Alot of people who have asperger syndrome are pretty good at computers. Do u use computers alot to? I DO!! ! :) I use computers 2 chat with my freinds, check out sales online before I go to the mall, and go to sites like home star runner :P

What do u like 2 do with computers? :?: :?: :?:

theSPECTRE
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2005, 7:01 pm

I like to program

-Tony Mantanna
-Scarface

Say Good Night to the bad guy - Tony Montana
-Scarface

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 7:13 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZ_AS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2005, 7:15 pm

I listen to music, browse the web, roleplay/chat with a friend, and will be learning how to do digital audio on here. Oh, and I watch TV on here as well. There's more I'm sure but can't think of them at the moment.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 7:41 pm

PrinCessChrisTinA wrote:

Alot of people who have asperger syndrome are pretty good at computers. Do u use computers alot to? I DO!! ! :) I use computers 2 chat with my freinds, check out sales online before I go to the mall, and go to sites like home star runner :P

What about technical skills? Such as fixing a virus, building a computer from parts, installing an OS, or setting up a home network? Considering yourself good with computers is relative around here since some of the world's best computer experts have AS.

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 7:58 pm

Web design, image manipulation, firing up an SSH client to get to the local Isis server on the stargate.net network (local), and also for online web hosting packages. I'm hoping to expand the network with an apple mac as a workstation and a Win2K server, plus another box fast enough to run Linux the way it shoudl be run.

I do some programming, mostly perl/php, but I am also doing C and I suppose I will end up doing C++, to the extent of my limited ability.

I think the most impressive thing about computers is that you're constantly learning new things; it isn't stagnant like the other low level service-sector jobs I have tended to drop into.

I don't know how long I can keep it going, I only know that Ihave to for my peace ofmind and for my ability to continue 'functioning'.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 9:21 pm

adversarial wrote:
I do some programming, mostly perl/php, but I am also doing C and I suppose I will end up doing C++, to the extent of my limited ability.

C and C++ are outdated and you would be best off learning .NET in a hurry. It combines the best features of C# and VB into a cross platform architecure.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 9:00 am

That all sounds quite complicated. I've learned some HTML and would like to learn more, but that's about it. And I've learned the BBCode to make sure my posts work properly here and in other forums. ;)

jeremy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jul 2005, 9:16 am

Sean wrote:
C and C++ are outdated and you would be best off learning .NET in a hurry. It combines the best features of C# and VB into a cross platform architecure.

No no.... Objective-C along with Cocoa/NeXT! From what I've seen of VB it's horrible but if it's just the same kind of framework with C language then it's probably okay.

As for me and computers though, I've been using them since the dawn of time... well not quite but my family had an XT when I was 3 or 4 years old. I've been on the net since 1998 which is when I mainly got into computers (apart from spending hours playing transport tycoon a few years earlier). I used Linux for about five years but I now have a mac.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 11:23 am

Sean wrote:
PrinCessChrisTinA wrote:

What about technical skills? Such as fixing a virus, building a computer from parts, installing an OS, or setting up a home network? Considering yourself good with computers is relative around here since some of the world's best computer experts have AS.

I've cleaned viruses off of a few computers and I've built computer from parts a few times. My current PC I built myself, installed the OS, worked out the bugs, etc. I also networked a cable modem so my wife and I could surf at the same time.

I also studied a few years ago and got MCSE and A+ certifications, but never did much in the work world with them. I did once work as a programmer, but that was only for 6 months and was happy to get out of that place.

I do consider myself pretty knowlegable when it comes to computers I guess.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

ashkelon
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2005, 11:51 am

Sean wrote:

Oh h*ll, I heard COBOL would be dead in a couple years in like '70. There are still a bunch of insurance and fulfillment companies running COBOL batch systems for billing, etc.

.NET is OK if you don't mind running everything on a windows server and believe that every web service in the world is going to be served on windows, registered with a UDDI, speaking SOAP and has a wsdl (not true in the real world, not by a long shot).

MS products bludgeon your code into their view of what the world should be, and make you pay for the priviledge (bend over and what?). And besides, I'd rather do commerce than chase viruses and break my buns staying ahead of hackers.

Give me Linux ("Chicks dig Linux!"), apache tomcat, xerces and axis, and java any day. Open source rocks! Yes, even for real business!

And, there's a java machine (jvm) for just about every processor out there, and a C or C++ compiler. Try finding a way to run .NET on a Dallas Semiconductor smart button. I 'spose there is, but you can find a jvm for just about any processor with just a google.

Not to mention all the great freeware or open source IDEs for C, C++, java, and just about anything but .NET (chief in my mind is eclipse).

Soooo, I wouldn't be too quick to jump on the winblows wagon... Or discount the marketability of C and C++, especially if you're coding games, utilities, web services, and internal business applications.

Oh, yeah, Ruby and Python ROCK too!

And for sure, building your own machine(s) is the very best way to de-mystify what's in the box and a heck of a lot cheaper! I heartily second that!

for me, Virus eugenics doesn't hold a candle to the pain that was getting modems to work on elderly non-plug-n-pray machines. gah!

ashkelon
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2005, 11:57 am

'Scuse me :oops:

web services are my meat and drink and all... :oops: ...can't control self...

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Jul 2005, 12:51 pm

Sean wrote:
adversarial wrote:

C and C++ are NOT outdated!! !! And .NET is a lot of hype. Real programming languages like C++ and C have been around for a long time. .NET is not here for good, just like some of the other "fad" languages.

Kerrigan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2005, 1:20 pm

I game. And surf on dif. forums.
I am working on pages too. PHP and CSS.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 7:03 pm

I do mostly CAD/rendering stuff and I want to get more into the animation stuff. I am clearly not a programmer or website honcho!

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 7:15 pm

I am an avid gamer. I don't do chatrooms because they go way too fast for me. I visit a few messageboards. Other than that I don't know much about computers. Luckily my husband does!! :wink: