Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jan 2014, 12:13 pm

I love cheese! My favourite is good mozzarella, but that is difficult to work with, so I usually use Red Leicester. Cheddar is also very good.

As for foods I can't stand, the most obvious one is pasta, but I have a very limited diet.

McCool
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2014, 12:27 pm

I don't care for bland foods; mashed potatoes and eggs (and anything with a texture similar to those two) make me gag. I like strong flavored foods. I like garlic, onions, and hot sauce on almost everything.

hannahal91
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm

ASPrm wrote:
Hi everyone.

I know many of us have trouble with certain stronger foods due to sensory issues... mine manifests most strongly as a strong revulsion to Cheese. I also struggle a bit with really strong cream dressings (for example, if I have a Caesar salad with really strong dressing). Even if I enjoy the flavour itself, I begin to feel very overwhelmed by the strong sensations and my gag reflex will often kick in.

Just wondering what kind of food sensitivities other people have?

Oh wow, I thought I was the only person who couldn't eat those salad dressings! The only dressing I'll eat on my salads is raspberry vinaigrette. I just can't do those creamy ones - way too strong and they make me gag too.

But I do like most kinds of cheese. I do hate goat cheese and feta cheese and that Kraft "processed cheese food" really grosses me out. I love grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas with cheddar (or something similar) cheese and I also love macaroni & cheese!

And I really have sensitivity to most seafoods with a strong "fishy" flavor. The only seafood I eat is shrimp. Fish is one of my least favorite foods though, but I suppose there are some kinds with a milder flavor that I could maybe tolerate. I tried crab once and it was way too strong.

I also really don't like garlic, other than the bread/toast. But I don't like when they sprinkle a bunch in a pasta dish or on chicken. It's way too strong.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 11:14 pm

watermelon, can't even be in the same room with the smell of it.

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2014, 11:34 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I love cheese! My favourite is good mozzarella, but that is difficult to work with, so I usually use Red Leicester. Cheddar is also very good.

As for foods I can't stand, the most obvious one is pasta, but I have a very limited diet.

Do you like smoked Gouda? That is my favorite.

headhunter228
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2014, 11:39 pm

I don't like pasta.

It's not so much the taste of it, but more about the texture. It just feels weird going down.

Still, my mom made sure to teach me to at least try new foods if they prepare it specially for me. I can't guarantee that I'll like it, and I'm always up front about being the world's pickiest eater.

But cheese? Can't live without the stuff. Get me a block of Vermont white cheddar, and it's gone in days.

-Count Threpe, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 12:19 am

Only Cheddar, American and Monterey Jack for me, except Mozz on pizza of course but not gargantuan amounts of it then. Someone said watermelon, I find that pretty gross too

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 5:49 am

Love cheese here. Any kind of cheese for me :)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 7:11 am

wozeree wrote:

Yum! It is like eating sweet snow. Lovely smell, taste and texture. Really refreshing.

Fascinating the difference between everyone's sense of taste. I wonder if watermelon tastes different to you than me.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 7:18 am

ASPrm wrote:
Hi everyone.

I know many of us have trouble with certain stronger foods due to sensory issues... mine manifests most strongly as a strong revulsion to Cheese. I also struggle a bit with really strong cream dressings (for example, if I have a Caesar salad with really strong dressing). Even if I enjoy the flavour itself, I begin to feel very overwhelmed by the strong sensations and my gag reflex will often kick in.

are we twins? :lol:
am exactly the same with exactly the same smells and cant even touch them or eat foods that have been anywhere near them.
have never known anyone with the same exact smell issues before.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 7:38 am

TallyMan wrote:
wozeree wrote:

Yum! It is like eating sweet snow. Lovely smell, taste and texture. Really refreshing.

i agree. in australia we have 2 types of watermelon. one type is elongated (like the classic watermelon) and the other type is spherical and is sweeter than the elongated type.
however, there is a type of melon called a "rock" melon, and it smells offensive. my mother used to like them and tried to encourage me to try some, but i refused to sample it. it smells like a babies burp. almost vomity, but somewhat milky as well. stomach churning.

the worst smelling food i have ever encountered is "paw paw" (papaya?). it smells strongly of unmodified vomit and i can not imagine how anyone could spoon it into their mouths.

i do like mild cheese.

i dislike mint and aniseed and eucalyptus and alcohol and herbs (i do like certain spices but i do not like the taste of herbs).

TallyMan wrote:
Fascinating the difference between everyone's sense of taste

an old saying that i never really examined when i was younger was "there is no accounting for taste".
when i scrutinized that saying with more than scant appraisal, i realized it is very true in a more complicated way than i ever imagined. there really is no accounting for taste. it is ethereal.

TallyMan wrote:
I wonder if watermelon tastes different to you than me.

i wonder if you see the color green the same way as i do. you may see what i call green as what i would call red if i was in your sensorium, yet you are taught that that color you see is called green, and i am taught that the color i am seeing is called green, but in reality, we may see opposite subjective colors and call them the same name.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 8:24 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
ASPrm wrote:
Hi everyone.

are we twins? :lol:
am exactly the same with exactly the same smells and cant even touch them or eat foods that have been anywhere near them.
have never known anyone with the same exact smell issues before.

me too ! Triplets :lol:

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 8:37 am

TallyMan wrote:
wozeree wrote:

Fascinating the difference between everyone's sense of taste. I wonder if watermelon tastes different to you than me.

That has reminded me that I have a Watermelon in the fridge. It is great dessert food, and breakfast food, and snack food! It's just great food.

anelynn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2014, 9:08 am

I am a very picky eater, but I like most cheese. However I don't like blue cheese (mold yuck) or anything super stinky. I have a constantly evolving list of things I will not eat. Tied for first are: Tomato soup, Pea soup, and mayo (includes salad dressing). Just the thought of eating these items makes me want to throw up. I also won't eat eggs, cooked green veggies, seafood, and wild meat. There are plenty more items I won't eat, but those are the top ones.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 9:55 am

In general I do like cheese and as well very different kind of cheeses. (Hardcheeses like Gouda or Emmentaler, ... soft cheeses as cottage cheese, Mozarella, Fetacheese, ... cream cheeses as Brie, Camembert....

However, what my mum sometimes brings with her, when she was visiting her relatives in france is really too extreme for me. If you enter the kitchen, and you can smell the cheese already from the inside of the fridge, where its extra packed in an tupperware... I always get reminded on the scene of "Asterix in corsica", when the ship gets blown up by pirates, because of the pirates entering the storage room of the ship with an torch, where an corsican cheese has been forgotten.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 11:01 pm

Mmm, cheese. I like cheese. The funkier and more pungent, the better.