Would you wear Aspie clothing in public...

Page 3 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 7:14 pm

computerwidow wrote:
Perhaps the logo could be a planet with an orange ring around it, no words necessary. Anyone who didn't know would think it was just a pretty picture...

Hey what a great idea!
...now somebody make a teeshirt...

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 7:16 pm

computerwidow wrote:
I wouldn't wear obvious aspie logos or slogans in public. Too many people out there are just looking for someone to discriminate against, for an artificial boost to their own self esteem, and I don't want to make myself too easy a target.

I think I'm already a fairly easy target just based on appearances, which may be why wearing a slogan or something doesn't make a lot of difference to me.

azalynn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jul 2005, 10:39 pm

A neat symbol would be cool, but I would want to make sure it was unique -- that is, not something that would be confused with another group / cause / concept. I read something about orange bracelets a while back and thought that was a decent idea, but then I read somewhere else that orange bracelets could also be used to symbolize "self injury" -- gah! I don't mind if people know I'm an Aspie (hey, it's better than "crazy disturbed person" which is close to what I used to get) but I don't want them thinking I slice my arms up. I know that SI is a real problem for some people but...it's not me and I don't want to identify with that group.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 11:03 pm

It's not a good idea for anybody to openly talk about self injuring behavior in public, at lest offline that is. I wasn't aware that they had a ribbon. Maybe hardly anybody else is either and so there isn't any stigma to it?

nirrti_1
Raven
Raven

13 Jul 2005, 11:04 pm

I would definately wear it, especially the sweater. People think I'm odd anyway so wearing an aspie line of clothing wouldn't change their mind. I once had a t-shirt I got when I was in an in-patient psychiatric program for teens. It read, "I made the Journey at the Mid-South Hospital."

I wore that t-shirt everywhere, except while accompaning my mother as she was too embarrassed by it and refused to have me go anywhere with her while wearing a shirt advertising a mental hospital. :roll:

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 11:44 pm

Sean wrote:
It's not a good idea for anybody to openly talk about self injuring behavior in public, at lest offline that is.

why not?

/me wonders if this will be yet another question i've asked sean which will remain unanswered...

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 11:59 pm

Why not? I would love to wear aspie t shirts. I have no problem going public with being aspie.

See folks, here is the way I look at it: people are not going to be aware that not all auties are profound unless the fact is shoved in their faces, and they are reluctant to accept it anyway. I think that positive publicity is a very smart thing to do. Just don't wear an aspie T shirt and use your diagnosis as a reason to act like an as*hole, please.....

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 12:35 am

chamoisee wrote:
Why not? I would love to wear aspie t shirts. I have no problem going public with being aspie.

See folks, here is the way I look at it: people are not going to be aware that not all auties are profound unless the fact is shoved in their faces, and they are reluctant to accept it anyway. I think that positive publicity is a very smart thing to do. Just don't wear an aspie T shirt and use your diagnosis as a reason to act like an as*hole, please.....

I agree with your point, and I will not act like an as*hole. I will not try not to upset you oh wise chamoisee.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 1:17 am

vetivert wrote:
Sean wrote:
It's not a good idea for anybody to openly talk about self injuring behavior in public, at lest offline that is.

why not?

/me wonders if this will be yet another question i've asked sean which will remain unanswered...

I'll answer that one, it's not a disgusting subject this time.

It would be rude to go around divulging your personal problems with self-mutilation because it would make people uncomfortable and possibly afraid of you, you may need to be on the best terms possible, like people with customer service jobs at places you visit regularly, and possibly even draw negative attention from private security guards or theoretically even cops or child protective services in an extreme case of misunderstanding. You don't actually have to be dangerous for people to suspect you of being dangerous, in which case the cops could be called to see if you meet the criteria for a 5150.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 1:20 am

chamoisee wrote:

To bad a highly infectious but harmless computer virus advertizing AS genius would be so poorly received. :(

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 1:33 am

Sean wrote:
chamoisee wrote:

To bad a highly infectious but harmless computer virus advertizing AS genius would be so poorly received. :(

Oh.... But I like your signature. That rules.

AND THEN I CRIED.

CleverCait
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2005, 2:49 am

I live on a college campus where liberals abound and differences are plenty. I don't think it would cause much of a stir if I wore a shirt that hinted at my Aspie-ness. In fact, statistically, I can't possibly be the only Aspie on campus. Realistically, I could be the only one, but with a student population of around 25,000 I doubt that.

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2005, 4:57 am

Prometheus wrote:
hmmm. and I thought this thread was about wearing lousy looking clothing that we like, but others would not be caught dead in!

I don't know if I would ever wear such a shirt.

That was what I thought as well. I wondered just what "aspie clothing" was and the first things I thought of were paisley shirts and plaid trousers. I'm not sure why either...

I wouldn't wear something that specifically mentions "Asperger's Syndrome" on it, at least not out in the 'ordinary world.' I would be interested in an obscure reference to it, though, on a shirt. That way only those who really know, as opposed to the random fool, would even acknowledge it.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 6:41 am

In a word, No, I wouldn't.

I advertise i'm a freak enough without labelling myself as one.

(sorry if that offended anyone.. but it's how I feel most of the time)

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 9:05 am

I probably would not wear a shirt or advertise that I have AS (it is bad enough that I practically advertise that I am a geek).

However, I do like the puzzle piece ribbon. I have one on my van and I plan on getting one for my bus. If I do not want the person to know anything about me, then first, the minivan will throw them off if they do not know me well because they will think I have children. If they do know that I do not have children, all I have to say is that I am a special needs school bus driver and the matter is closed.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 11:37 am

Feel pride in yourselves!

AND THEN I CRIED.