Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 12:18 am

I used to spend all my time talking to everything around me but I got myself out of the habit.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 12:46 am

I talk to my cats, both in English and Feline
(my Feline vocabulary is limited to hissing, head-butting, and creepy stares)

Even worse, I sometimes assume the 'character' of my cats and I respond to me, on their behalf. Observers might be inclined to think I was crazy, or that my pets are excellent ventriloquists.
(my cats speak English with a comedic faux-French accent, and their vocabulary is limited to insults)

They run away when I start singing though.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 12:50 am

I talked to my dog and when I have taken care of friends' pets in the past I talked to them as well. Sometimes if my computer doesn't work I may say to the computer "why are not working?" (out of frustration mainly).

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 7:17 pm

Norny wrote:
pensieve wrote:
Honestly a real pet owner doesn't really know their pet unless they are having conversations with it, which it can't actually answer.

My cats actually meow back to me the more I talk to them.

I really wish my two cats did this.. when I talk to them or even acknowledge their presence they stop meowing and just stare at me, and almost immediately when I look away they start meowing and/or walking towards the laundry, the room where their food is always delivered to. >.>

the amazing thing is they can understand us yet we have difiiculty comprehending them though we are better with that than the nt's , :wink: when I say to the dove want a pat on occasion he will fly away , and yet a few minutes latter he will let me pat him :D

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 7:19 pm

babybird wrote:
I say "Oh, hello there" to the cat or dog, when I go out.

wierdos (nt's) give you a strange look, I do it to all animals that take me by surprise even a lizard.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 7:30 pm

Solitudinarian wrote:
They can learn sign language too:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU7hPOY8n_Y[/youtube]

(That's not me in this video).

I always eat sitting on the floor and then one of my cats comes and puts her right paw (I guess she is right-pawed) onto my left arm to pull my left hand, with which I hold my fork, towards her to eat the bite.

And I do talk to animals and objects.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Voider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2014, 10:43 pm

I've actually done this only a few times. Usually I talk to animals and objects in a humorous manner though.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 11:19 am

Well, I talk to my cats but they also talk back. Does that count?

Eccles

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 11:33 am

I talk to my cats. I do not believe at all, that they understand words, but I think they understand certain "moods" in my voice. So if I tell them to go away from something, it simply sounds otherwise as when I call them for meals, or when its about playtalk, ....

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 12:22 pm

I talk to my cats all the time, they are family after all.

And even to my car, which has a name.

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 12:48 pm

I give friendly greetings to animals and objects. Sometimes I talk to myself in public but I'm embarrassed when other people hear me :P

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Feb 2014, 1:24 pm

Mostly it's animals......because they talk back. :D

melysllew
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Feb 2014, 2:52 pm

Solitudinarian wrote:
PS: Call me crazy, but one of my cats can pronounce a few food-related words, and another cat often greets me with something that sounds exactly like the local equivalent of "hello". It might seem a little insane, but if birds can imitate human language, why not cats too? I'm pretty sure that cats are more intelligent than the average parrot, it's just that they have a hard time vocalizing human consonants. My tuxedo cat is exceptionally talented in this area though. But that's not something that I'd tell anyone outside this forum :)

My cats do the same. One seems to mew as if she is recognizing that you have said something to her, and one seems to be able to pronounce the word milk whenever anyone opens the fridge. My third cat hardly ever mews, but he definitely knows if I need a hug or something.

You are very likely an Aspie

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm

LOL, it's quite natural to talk to things that can't understand you, it's just a means of self-expression that has somehow gotten hardwired into our genes; even NTs do it.

I do talk to my cat like that, though in many case I know a few cat sounds and he recognises some sounds, such as his name; you'd be surprised how many animals learn the word "no" if said in the right way. You can have a sort of conversation with a cat, but the vocabulary and usable meanings are limited; I will not be trying to teach him the axioms of physics any time soon.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 3:44 pm

I used to talk to my dog, Spotty, all the time. He usually understood what I was saying. One day I told him that I was very depressed and he brought me one of his bones so that I could play with it.

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2014, 9:28 pm

Are there people who don't do this? I thought it was pretty standard.