Are Hearing problems common with Asperger's?

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 9:08 am

I have Tinnitus, which is really annoying when I'm trying to get to sleep at night! Also recently my mum told me that I had '75% hearing'- not quite sure what that's supposed to mean, but she did say she contemplated getting me a hearing aid. My younger half-brother who has been diagnosed ADHD and I think too has Asperger's is deaf in one ear.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 9:11 am

katwithhat wrote:
I have "selective hearing". Meaning, I hear what I want to hear and can block out the rest. I blame it on AS :D

I have this, too! :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 12:10 am

katwithhat wrote:
I wish I could block out noise. I can only tune out people when they are speaking to me.

but you ARE blocking out noise :lol:

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 12:45 am

I have some minor hearing loss from being a musician. I almost always use hearing protection when there are high sound levels, but occasionally I've gone without due to not being able to hear myself properly (you really need to hear yourself well when singing, or playing fretless instruments, and especially doing both together), etc. I do a pretty decent amount of live playing at bars and such (3-4x a month most months), and I often go without hearing protection for those, just to make sure I hear myself well and perform well.

Other than that very minor hearing loss, the only other hearing problem I have comes from sensory processing disorder. Mostly manifests in not being able to keep track of one person talking when many are, etc.

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 12:51 am

Hmm i have sensory issues with my hearing/sound, but i have never had any loss of hearing, i basically hear too much :o But i don't know if that's common, besides i have pdd-nos.

arianwinnie
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Mar 2014, 12:58 pm

theaspiemusician wrote:
I'm mostly deaf in my right ear. I love when people are standing to my left because then I can actually HEAR them a lot better. My mum won't let me get a hearing aid though because she thinks it won't help the problem because she thinks I just have a sensory problem, but would a sensory problem REALLY effect how I hear in just 1 ear?

What a coincidence! Maybe, it's not but a symptom though. I lost my hearing on my right ear since I was a teenager. I also have RA on my right feet and my right leg is bigger than my left leg. It's kind of a bit swollen. :(

I hear people say but I don't know what they say. I failed listening test because of hearing lost on my right ear. I don't know what to do with it though. Yes, I like when people are on my left too. :)

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 1:42 pm

Few bumped threads today :lol:

I'm slightly better hearing on my right ear I think. Everything sounds more fuzzy with the left.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 7:06 pm

Wind wrote:
Few bumped threads today :lol: I'm slightly better hearing on my right ear I think. Everything sounds more fuzzy with the left.

no offense, when is the last time you've had an otoscope exam? you might just have excess wax in that ear.