Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Galexty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Apr 2014, 4:47 pm

Right now I'm having problems dealing with a friend, and one friend in particular.

Some of my friends have this idea that if I'm having a personal problem, I must put 100% of my effort into making it go away, and if it doesn't go away right away after they point it out, then that's entirely my fault and I'm a bad person (they usually give me a few weeks to fix a behavior before becoming really nasty).

Most of these behaviors aren't anything I personally see as destructive, but I try to fix them anyway. However, they're often not problems easily fixed, especially since I don' have access to therapy right now. A few weeks seems like a very short time to fix a behavior (shutdowns, recently, have been getting on people's nerves, but I don't k now what to do about that because overstimulation isn't something I choose).

I guess I'm asking for advice as to what to do about these friends? I don't have a lot of friends and I love them dearly, but this insistance on fast fixes or shunning really hurts.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 5:03 pm

hiya Galexty :) welcome to the club. 8) heed the advice from the good dr. seuss: "be who you are and say what you feel, for the people who matter don't mind, and the people who mind don't matter."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 5:11 pm

Carl Sagan was great!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 5:18 pm

Galexty, what I was saying is that you gotta be true to yourself and those who would be your friends are just gonna have to decide if they can handle it or not. if they can't handle it they woulda been fair weather friends at best in the first place, and not worth knowing.

ReverieMe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2014, 5:32 pm

I'm guessing you've already tried to talk to them about how these things take time and aren't always in your control? How did that go?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 5:38 pm

Do exactly the same thing back to them. The second you see a flaw (being human, they'll have many), point it out, and badger them cruelly if it isn't fixed by the next day.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Galexty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Apr 2014, 5:40 pm

auntblabby]Galexty, what I was saying is that you gotta be true to yourself and those who would be your friends are just gonna have to decide if they can handle it or not. if they can't handle it they woulda been fair weather friends at best in the first place, and not worth knowing.[/quote]

I try to keep that in mind, but it's hard.

[quote="ReverieMe wrote:
I'm guessing you've already tried to talk to them about how these things take time and aren't always in your control? How did that go?

Like crap, as can be expected. "Well it should be in your control," is the general response, along with flavors of "act like a real adult.". Real adults have autism too though, this isn't just a kid problem, but I think my friends see it like that.

Galexty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Apr 2014, 5:41 pm

auntblabby]Galexty, what I was saying is that you gotta be true to yourself and those who would be your friends are just gonna have to decide if they can handle it or not. if they can't handle it they woulda been fair weather friends at best in the first place, and not worth knowing.[/quote]

I try to keep that in mind, but it's hard.

[quote="ReverieMe wrote:

Like crap, as can be expected. "Well it should be in your control," is the general response, along with flavors of "act like a real adult.". Real adults have autism too though, this isn't just a kid problem, but I think my friends see it like that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 2:38 am

I am going to repeat what the others have said. This person needs an ultimatum accept you as you are or this friendship is over. It probably won't work but you could ask your (former) friend if he or she would badger a person in whelelchair to get out ASAP.

I will tell you what this friend will probably never accept, that it will be hard for you to do this, very hard. It will be hard because the person probably really believes the "tough love" approach is the best thing for you. Suppressing the real you will cause far more damege the short time breakup pain. I speak from my own experiences and from talking with other WP members.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Apr 2014, 11:53 am

Friends should be supportive, not cause you pain. I know you don't want to lose your friends because you say you don't have many, but if your friends act like bullies are they really friends? It's pretty clear they don't understand what you go through in terms of your autism. Maybe they need education about your condition, if they are open to it.