Hygiene issues...what exactly is the problem?

Page 4 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 12:03 am

PastIsPrologue wrote:
I've also had a lifelong problem with water touching my face, so showering was a struggle.

I hate that too. I'm tall so I just angle the shower head so it only hits me below the neck and mostly stand with my back to it. I never wash my hair in the shower. I bend over by the tub faucet.

Lately I only take baths. I don't like my shower head. The water pressure is so low you can barely even rinse off with it.

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2014, 5:52 am

I don't shower every day?.I just don't see the point if I don't sweat or go to the gym or whatever?if I'm just sitting at my desk or just go out once or twice during the day?I don't even think twice about it..

Now another thing is not brushing my teeth?..I know it's REALLY REALLY bad but i am always too tired or just don't really care to brush them. It's been like 2-3 weeks since I brushed last. >_<

StarsInMyMargarita
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2014, 8:03 am

I was really bad about showering when I was in high school. On my list of things to do (not that I made lists, then) showering just didn't rank highly. Shower, brush teeth, wash face, deodorant, comb hair. ALL of that stuff was done very inconsistently, and I really don't understand why no one ever told me I looked/smelled awful. Not even my parents.

After I graduated, I gradually made all of those things routine, although I mostly just shower every other day. That might change since its getting warm out and I've started working in the kitchen rather than in service areas. It gets hot in the kitchen, lol.
My hair gets gross quickly, and I'm experimenting with whether shampooing every other day is necessary to get rid of the yuck, rather than just, I don't know, rinsing it or something. Mom's suggestions have only been half-helpful. (Instead of conditioning lower part of hair, I've quit conditioning altogether.)
Washing my face more than just in the shower is the last on the "things to get used to" list, and I'm still getting used to it, but so far I enjoy the results of keeping my face clean. :)

melysllew
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2014, 4:15 pm

I have only recently started showering twice a week (unless I really need to), and have never found anything wrong with it. Other people have a very different idea about this though.

You are very likely an Aspie

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 4:22 pm

I sweat my tuckas off mowing the lawn in the sun, so I showered and I feel so much better now! sweet smelling clean is where it's at, and cleanliness IS next to godliness AFAIC :)

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 10:48 pm

I remember reading years ago in an advice column in the paper -- a man was up in arms over his wife. He had recently retired and was spending loads more time at home than he had before. He discovered that his wife only showered ever 3rd day or so. He was angry and disgusted in what he considered a serious problem with his wife's hygiene, to the point where he refused to touch her sexually. But here's the thing -- she had been doing that ALL ALONG. He had no problem with her before he knew about her shower frequency --- hadn't noticed any stink or anything. So why does it bother him so much now? It's all in his head. If the lack of showering was as bad as his behavior would dictate, he would have noticed something earlier. The advice columnist agreed and pretty much to him to get over it. If it didn't bother him then, it shouldn't bother him now.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

AutumnSylver
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2014, 11:02 pm

Webalina wrote:
It's all in his head.

Exactly. And this idea that if you don't shower every day, you're dirty is all in people's heads.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 11:12 pm

I know that even if I chilled out in an air conditioned place, I'd get dirty after a day.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 11:56 pm

AutumnSylver wrote:
Webalina wrote:
It's all in his head.

Exactly. And this idea that if you don't shower every day, you're dirty is all in people's heads.

Depends on what you do in a day.

If I was working a desk job or a sales job or something, I might not need to shower. But any time I work construction I'm sweaty and dusty/dirty and Need to shower after work or I'd just be gross and there's no way I'm crawling into my bed feeling dirty.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 12:03 am

AutumnSylver wrote:
Webalina wrote:
It's all in his head.

That is NOT al all what I meant. What I meant was that the husband didn't have a problem with his wife not showering daily -- he didn't know it until she told him. But after she told him, with no other evidence, he was still disgusted with her. That's the part that in his head. He wasn't repulsed by her before, but now he is with nothing changing besides his knowledge base.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

AutumnSylver
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jun 2014, 4:09 am

goldfish21 wrote:
AutumnSylver wrote:
Webalina wrote:
It's all in his head.

Depends on what you do in a day.

If I was working a desk job or a sales job or something, I might not need to shower. But any time I work construction I'm sweaty and dusty/dirty and Need to shower after work or I'd just be gross and there's no way I'm crawling into my bed feeling dirty.

I acknowledged this in one of my earlier posts.

AutumnSylver
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jun 2014, 4:10 am

Webalina wrote:
AutumnSylver wrote:
Webalina wrote:
It's all in his head.

That is NOT al all what I meant. What I meant was that the husband didn't have a problem with his wife not showering daily -- he didn't know it until she told him. But after she told him, with no other evidence, he was still disgusted with her. That's the part that in his head. He wasn't repulsed by her before, but now he is with nothing changing besides his knowledge base.

I know what you meant. I was adding my own idea, after.

SquidinHostBody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2014, 4:19 am

Rub-a-dub-dub, this Squid is going home to the tub... In approximately 41 minutes and 16, 15, 14 seconds.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 4:25 am

SquidinHostBody wrote:
Rub-a-dub-dub, this Squid is going home to the tub... In approximately 41 minutes and 16, 15, 14 seconds.

Wouldn't soap ruin your squid "skin"?

AutumnSylver
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jun 2014, 4:55 am

I was in the shower earlier, and I thought about some of the issues people brought up in this thread. Then I realized that there are things I don't like about showering that I never really thought twice about.
I don't like it when I'm washing or conditioning my hair and hair gets tangled around my fingers. (As in, a couple of hairs get tangled around my fingers, and when I try to rinse them off with water, they don't come off). I don't like it when the temperature of the water changes slightly. And I don't like it when water runs down my face and drips from my eyelashes. I could cover my face with a wash cloth to solve the last one. I'm thinking about buying one of those shower heads that regulates the temperature to deal with the temperature changing issue. But I don't know what to do about hair getting tangled on my fingers. Even if I brush my hair, some still comes out when I wash it and gets tangled around my fingers. I'm not completely opposed to cutting my hair short, I've done it before, but that's a last resort, to me. I like to be able to put it up in a ponytail or a bun. Does anybody have any ideas?

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 5:51 am

AutumnSylver wrote:
I was in the shower earlier, and I thought about some of the issues people brought up in this thread. Then I realized that there are things I don't like about showering that I never really thought twice about.
I don't like it when I'm washing or conditioning my hair and hair gets tangled around my fingers. (As in, a couple of hairs get tangled around my fingers, and when I try to rinse them off with water, they don't come off). I don't like it when the temperature of the water changes slightly. And I don't like it when water runs down my face and drips from my eyelashes. I could cover my face with a wash cloth to solve the last one. I'm thinking about buying one of those shower heads that regulates the temperature to deal with the temperature changing issue. But I don't know what to do about hair getting tangled on my fingers. Even if I brush my hair, some still comes out when I wash it and gets tangled around my fingers. I'm not completely opposed to cutting my hair short, I've done it before, but that's a last resort, to me. I like to be able to put it up in a ponytail or a bun. Does anybody have any ideas?

Try wetting your hair, flipping it over (poking your head out of the shower a bit) and brushing your hair. Then, take your whole hand and squeeze all of your hair and pull all the way down. The hair should come out a lot easier, but it should be in one clump. It might still get slightly tangled, but you should be able to easily pull the hair off of your hand (it should all be together). Another good thing is to do the first two steps, but put your hand, palm up, under the shower head and it will just rinse off. You can get one of those hair traps so it doesn't go down the drain.